512MB Memory VPS... Out of memory already?

Okay, Im relatively new to all of this, so please excuse me!

In short, I have a 512mb DV server with Mediatemple, which I am running 24 (ish) domains off (most of them static websites) and a teamspeak server. I would say MAX theres 10 users online at a time)

Now, I know its running out of memory because i get frequent QoS Alerts in plesk (kmemsize is apparently the memory size):
    Oct 01, 2009 11:52:57 AM Black zone kmemsize

I have attached my results (when I did top).

My questions are:

1. Should I be expecting to be out of memory running what I am?

2. Is there a way to see the problem domains (memory wise)?

3. Are there any ways I can reduce the memory? (I have followed this already: http://kb.mediatemple.net/questions/...ur+(dv)+server.)

4. Where is the memory usage coming from (I am finding it very hard to understand TOP)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails top.gif  

memory looks as if your apache processes are high and could use some tweaking as well as sql. I dont know what your pushing on either but from 10 domains? This looks abnormal. Are they massive forums or smaller websites?
    Axcelx Technologies - James
    Boston Colocation | Boston VPS
    Massachusetts Server Colocation, Dedicated Servers & VPS

Are you running any PHP/SQL intensive sites?

Do you have SuPHP running in your PHP config? That can be a bit of a memory hog. Without more info it's hard to tell.
    Try checking your server logs, it should give you out of memory errors, it could be caused by a PHP spike.

isn't kmemsize the number of Inodes. If inodes are low then this could happen.
    HSV Informatics Ltd - Since 2011
    Shared Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Millar View Post
    Now, I know its running out of memory because i get frequent QoS Alerts in plesk (kmemsize is apparently the memory size).
    kmemsize is one of the (many) memory parameters in a virtuozzo vps. Please post the output of this command:

cat /proc/user_beancounters

Quote Originally Posted by mainpipe View Post
    kmemsize is one of the (many) memory parameters in a virtuozzo vps. Please post the output of this command:

cat /proc/user_beancounters
    Yep. There are several of these niggling extra limitations on Virtuozzo UBC (not SLM) and OpenVZ. But it's a secondary parameter - provided you're not approaching the important memory limits some providers will increase your kmemsize limit on request.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

I find it odd you have no swap space
    Garry Dolley @ ARP Networks | gdolley _at_ arpnetworks . com | #arpnetworks on Freenode | @arpnetworks, @bsdvps
    State of the art services, strong community and friendly support
    FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Linux VPS ARP Metal™ Dedicated Servers Colocation IP Transit
    Native IPv6 VNC Console Tunnel VNC over SSH Serial Console over SSH DNS Manager

Quote Originally Posted by garrycc View Post
    I find it odd you have no swap space
    Virtuozzo (Parallels) based vps's don't have swap.

Regarding what is actually being ran. There are two smallish forums (http://rs-db.co.cc/forums/) and (http://guildreckoning.eu/forums/)

And something which does seem to be quite php intensive: - but is it really that intensive? Theres like max 2 users on it at once.
    http://guildreckoning.eu/

Beancounter thing attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cat.gif  

A search on "beancounters" in this forum will find you lots of useful discussion - see this thread in particular for the handy interpretation script.

IMO, the 12MB kernel memory barrier (kmemsize) on a 512MB VPS is way too low - I have 18MB on a 128MB VPS. Ask your provider if they're willing to increase this for you.

Edit: You'll probably need at least double your current kmemsize limits to have a hope of using all your "guaranteed" memory. Welcome to the wonderful world of UBC.
    Last edited by foobic; 10-01-2009 at 10:33 PM.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    A search on "beancounters" in this forum will find you lots of useful discussion - see this thread in particular for the handy interpretation script.

IMO, the 12MB kernel memory barrier (kmemsize) on a 512MB VPS is way too low - I have 18MB on a 128MB VPS. Ask your provider if they're willing to increase this for you.

Edit: You'll probably need at least double your current kmemsize limits to have a hope of using all your "guaranteed" memory. Welcome to the wonderful world of UBC.
    But it says I'm already using my guaranteed memory (512Mb)

Regarding Logs.

Code:
    [Fri Oct 02 00:47:00 2009] [error] python_handler: no interpreter callback found.
    [Fri Oct 02 00:47:18 2009] [error] (12)Cannot allocate memory: fork: Unable to fork new process
    [Fri Oct 02 00:47:28 2009] [error] (12)Cannot allocate memory: fork: Unable to fork new process
    [Fri Oct 02 00:47:38 2009] [error] (12)Cannot allocate memory: fork: Unable to fork new process
    [Fri Oct 02 00:47:41 2009] [error] (12)Cannot allocate memory: apr_socket_accept: (client socket)
    [Fri Oct 02 00:47:41 2009] [error] make_obcallback: could not import mod_python.apache.\n
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mod_python/apache.py", line 21, in ?
        import traceback
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/traceback.py", line 3, in ?
        import linecache
    ImportError: No module named linecache
    [Fri Oct 02 00:47:41 2009] [error] python_handler: no interpreter callback found.
    [Fri Oct 02 00:47:48 2009] [notice] child pid 21964 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
    [Fri Oct 02 00:48:12 2009] [error] (12)Cannot allocate memory: fork: Unable to fork new process
    [Fri Oct 02 00:48:14 2009] [error] (12)Cannot allocate memory: apr_socket_accept: (client socket)
    [Fri Oct 02 00:48:22 2009] [error] (12)Cannot allocate memory: fork: Unable to fork new process
    [Fri Oct 02 00:48:32 2009] [error] (12)Cannot allocate memory: fork: Unable to fork new process
    [Fri Oct 02 00:48:42 2009] [notice] child pid 23780 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
    [Fri Oct 02 00:50:21 2009] [error] (12)Cannot allocate memory: fork: Unable to fork new process
    [Fri Oct 02 00:50:31 2009] [error] (12)Cannot allocate memory: fork: Unable to fork new process
    [Fri Oct 02 00:50:32 2009] [error] (12)Cannot allocate memory: apr_socket_accept: (client socket)
    [Fri Oct 02 00:50:32 2009] [error] make_obcallback: could not import mod_python.apache.\n
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mod_python/apache.py", line 21, in ?
        import traceback
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/traceback.py", line 3, in ?
        import linecache
    ImportError: No module named linecache

But it says I'm already using my guaranteed memory (512Mb)
    Your 512MB guarantee is correct (vmguarpages barrier). Your current / max usage is 192MB (oomguarpages held / maxheld). Your allocated memory - also what you see in top - is 512MB (privvmpages held) but that's what burst is for. Read the other threads and try out that script.
    Chris

I'm confused!
    Surely that will tell me nothing? - As if im using my guaranteed memory then what I need to do is find out where the memory is going & try in fix it? (Eg. is it one of the applications on a website / a process that shouldnt be running / should I really be using up all the 512mb on what im running atm).

Apologies for my "noobiness" when it comes to this.

On a UBC system the only indicators that actually matter are in /proc/user_beancounters. In your case this shows zillions of errors on kmemsize, meaning that your processes are being killed because you're hitting your kernel memory limit of 12MB. Nothing else really matters, and I seriously doubt your chances of significantly reducing your usage here, so all I can suggest is you get your kmemsize limits increased or try another supplier.
    Chris

I'm confused!
    Surely that will tell me nothing? - As if im using my guaranteed memory then what I need to do is find out where the memory is going & try in fix it? (Eg. is it one of the applications on a website / a process that shouldnt be running / should I really be using up all the 512mb on what im running atm).

Apologies for my "noobiness" when it comes to this.
    Have you attempted to contact MediaTemple for help with this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by kotrt99 View Post
    Have you attempted to contact MediaTemple for help with this issue?
    Not yet, I thought I'd better check out whether or not it was something either I was doing wrong or whether it is't.

On a UBC system the only indicators that actually matter are in /proc/user_beancounters. In your case this shows zillions of errors on kmemsize, meaning that your processes are being killed because you're hitting your kernel memory limit of 12MB. Nothing else really matters, and I seriously doubt your chances of significantly reducing your usage here, so all I can suggest is you get your kmemsize limits increased or try another supplier.
    Thank you

True.

I have an account with ServInt and with their $49 Essential plan they have the kmemsize limit set to 132MB. That is a significant difference.

You need to monitor the beancounters, specifically the failcnts.

You are also showing failures under the tcp send buffer.
    Last edited by mainpipe; 10-02-2009 at 02:08 PM.

I also have a 512Mb VPS and my privmpages are high with all accounts suspended!

Here's a screenshot:

any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails beancounters.jpg  

Different issue entirely (you may want to start a new thread for it). You're hitting your burst memory limit, so you would benefit from optimizing your VPS for memory usage, or upgrading.

So it is normal to have those failcnts even if no sites are running on my vps?

In UBC, virtual size of memory is accounted and subtracted from the memory allocated for VPS. Just do a stack size tuning for python and apache or whatever else you are running and reduce memory usage considerably(even upto 50%).

As per the screen shots, python's VSZ is almost 10MB and why you are leaving ~10MB of stack unnecessarily? It will even work with 256KB.