Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for pure InterNAP high end dedicated server providers in USA.

I want to start offering game server hosting and am looking for dedicated server providers throughout the United States that host their servers in datacenters that have pure InterNAP bandwidth, I am not looking for BGP4 networks that have InterNAP thrown in the mix, pure InterNAP-only please.

They also should offer very powerful servers. Colocation might also be an option, but for now I would prefer dedicated.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Ersan; 09-27-2009 at 03:25 AM.

FDCServers can offer pure InterNAP bandwidth in their 2 datacenters.

Look for companies that have InterNAP and try to ask if they can set something up for you.

I'm going to say that InterNAP transit is not the greatest thing to have, and you'll get better mileage out of a provider with a nice BGP mix and InterNAP FCP in certain conditions, so don't limit yourself to only this provider.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Yeah, I'm aware of how underwhelming their FCP is - but it unfortunately acts as a placebo for customers. I'd rather this not turn into one of those "Why do you want InterNAP, you should use something else" threads I've seen rather often. I know what I am doing.

Thanks LaptopFreak, I remember trying to order from them in the past but they only offered 10mbit unmetered on InterNAP. I'd prefer 100mbit metered.
    Last edited by Ersan; 09-27-2009 at 03:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ersan View Post
    Thanks LaptopFreak, I remember trying to order from them in the past but they only offered 10mbit unmetered on InterNAP. I'd prefer 100mbit metered.
    I'm sure they can work something out for you if you contact their sales team.

FDCServers and I *think* Sentris offers it as well.
    Daniel | Server Complete, LLC
    INSTANTLY DEPLOYED Bare Metal Servers
    Wholly owned hardware and self operated network (AS19531) in Jacksonville, FL

Quote Originally Posted by LaptopFreak View Post
    I'm sure they can work something out for you if you contact their sales team.
    Actually, they couldn't

FDCServers is the only one that comes to mind, but pure internap is not nearly as good as Internap / Level 3 etc with Internap FCP.

Reason why the threads turn into why do you want pure Internap is because pure Internap is well sub par at best.

PS. Why on earth you need 100mbit metered for game servers ?
    Last edited by XFactorServers; 09-27-2009 at 10:46 AM.

I think Cologuys have a pure Internap options or are pure Internap, I can't say I'm too sure.

I know a lot of their IP's say Internap though!

After the VitalStream acquisition, Internap has been selling dedicated servers directly:

http://www.internap.com/data-center-...naged-servers/

Quote Originally Posted by XFactorServers View Post
    Reason why the threads turn into why do you want pure Internap is because pure Internap is well sub par at best.
    Yes, but as we know... he know what he's talking about :p

Most likely, he's simply chosen to market to those customers easily swayed by marketing hype and if they are willing to pay (presumably) more for a "worse" product, then hey, he's found a good set of customers. Tho, those sorts also tend to be support nightmares with the, "OMG the pingz went up 2ms FIX IT NOW!!!" reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwave View Post
    Yes, but as we know... he know what he's talking about :p

Most likely, he's simply chosen to market to those customers easily swayed by marketing hype and if they are willing to pay (presumably) more for a "worse" product, then hey, he's found a good set of customers. Tho, those sorts also tend to be support nightmares with the, "OMG the pingz went up 2ms FIX IT NOW!!!" reports.
    For some reason I find his logic very flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by XFactorServers View Post
    FDCServers is the only one that comes to mind, but pure internap is not nearly as good as Internap / Level 3 etc with Internap FCP.

I'm failing to follow the logic here. Level3 is, as far as I know, present in the bandwidth mix at every PNAP. I could potentially see that adding a carrier that's not in the Internap mix plus a FCP might lead to some very small routing improvements (though there is definitely a point of diminishing returns when adding additional carriers when using a FCP), but how could adding a carrier that's already in their mix improve it? Internap's company line is that Assimilator3 is still slightly superior to their FCP. Unless you're making the accusation that Internap's transit product is not running strictly in the FCP equivalent of performance mode.

Jesus Christ...

If you can't answer the very specific question in my original post please don't post in this thread. I talked to a few dedicated server companies that use InterNAP bandwidth and they all pretty much said the same thing "no we don't have a way to specify specific backbone providers for customers on our network". I talked to FDC and they can't give me 100mbit links.

I'm going to talk to InterNAP directly tomorrow, hopefully I can get this thing off the ground. I didn't realize it would be that hard to find providers that resell servers in InterNAP's datacenters as they made colo so easy, I figured there would be plenty of hosts that would capitalize off of that.

No need to talk to Jesus Christ here.

You're going to have to colocate for pure internap.

Good luck with that, and may your money run dry. We warned you.
    Next-Generation Game Servers- www.NextGenServers.com - Play On. Fast, Reliable, Low ping, No Lag, full support servers. Providing Professional, Low Cost, but effective services to gamers like you. Providing the nextgen of gaming services.

Plus, there are other factors involved. E.g., there are other tier 2 carriers that are very well much-loved by the gaming community (one example is Mzima in the West Coast).

Answering your original question: Pure internap, try www.newservers.com (they sell dedicated servers and only pure internap, off of their Miami datacenter) but they are not cheap as far as bandwidth goes nor as far as hardware costs.

I want to start offering game server hosting and am looking for dedicated server providers throughout the United States that host their servers in datacenters that have pure InterNAP bandwidth, I am not looking for BGP4 networks that have InterNAP thrown in the mix, pure InterNAP-only please.

They also should offer very powerful servers. Colocation might also be an option, but for now I would prefer dedicated.

Thank you.
    Pure internap isn't easy to come buy because most providers have it in t a BGP mix, FDC is the only provider that comes to mind. keep in mind pricing will be much higher compared to a bgp mix.
    "Unix is simple. It just takes a genius to understand its simplicity." – Dennis Ritchie

It hadn't occurred to me, but it seems like the best course is to actually order dedicated servers from my competitors, since they already have established agreements with internap.

For anyone else seeking an answer to my question, I've decided to order from NuclearFallout at https://www.nfoservers.com/

Some of NuclearFallout's locations are also BGP mixed...not pure PNAP.
    Joseph Laws
    President - Hi-Definition Gaming LLC

(http://www.hd-gaming.com)
    Professional Gaming Services For The Professional Gamer

It hadn't occurred to me, but it seems like the best course is to actually order dedicated servers from my competitors, since they already have established agreements with internap.

For anyone else seeking an answer to my question, I've decided to order from NuclearFallout at https://www.nfoservers.com/
    Pure and only Internap? Most providers mix it with something else. Level3/Internap, etc.

If you need only, and only Internap, I would call Internap directly, as they have space in several DCs, only with Internap bandwith.

Don´t expect to pay cheap. Else, you need to colo and get a link from Internap.

By the way, Internap also has managed servers

The only place I've ever seen the word "pure" used when describing network providers is amongst game server providers. To the rest of the Internet it's generally "single-homed".. I think this is why the topic brings up as much contention as it has here. On a technical level, if you have access to less direct peers, you have routes the are physically longer on average, and therefore very simply, most likely higher pings. This also creates a single point of failure and almost definitely a negative long-term effect on your uptime as well.

You'll obviously know your customer base better than anyone though, so if it has marketing benefits to trump the technical drawbacks that keep most major network operators from running their network this way (which I would say is why you're having as hard a time as you are finding this), I'd say go for it. It should still be possible to get just Internap from a provider if it's in their upstream, however it does require capable equipment, administration, and a general willingness on their part there for them to make it worth their while. I would avoid going direct with Internap at all costs at that commitment level, I've personally watched almost identical 10Mbps agreements with Internap and Mzima put several of your competitors under... save that for when you're pushing a few Gbps.
    Corey Northcutt | Electric Goat Media
    Currently building this nifty small business ROI calculator.

Quote Originally Posted by HiDef-Laws View Post
    Some of NuclearFallout's locations are also BGP mixed...not pure PNAP.
    Yeah, based on traces etc. I assume the ones that say (InterNAP) next to them are in internap's pnap, the only BGP mix location they offer for dedicated servers seems to be Los Angeles, where they don't seem to have an internap presence for whatever reason.

With "pure" Internap you also have to consider the building in which you are getting that connectivity. The Internap carrier mix is different in every building where they have a presence. For example, in New York you'd be looking for Internap in either 111 8th or 25 Broad (the other locations don't have AT&T or Level3...or didn't in the past). In Seattle, you'd want Internap connectivity in Fisher and not Westin (no AT&T in Westin). NFO Chicago is not in the regular Internap cage in Equinix at Lakeside (where you have the best carrier mix), I believe it is in the Level3 facility in Chicago and lacks a couple of the quality carriers you'd expect to have for that price premium.

Overall, Internap by itself is a quality product...however, with changes that ISPs have recently completed (namely Comcast and the other ISPs that it owns) the routing is completely different and has minimized the advantages of a pure Internap environment. In the past, Internap helped to assure a better route for Comcast clients because they relied on AT&T for their transit....no longer do they do that and that expensive AT&T connectivity isn't necessary. I was a long time pure Internap user that now uses BGP networks that include Internap in their mix.
    Joseph Laws
    President - Hi-Definition Gaming LLC

(http://www.hd-gaming.com)
    Professional Gaming Services For The Professional Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by qwidjib0 View Post
    The only place I've ever seen the word "pure" used when describing network providers is amongst game server providers. To the rest of the Internet it's generally "single-homed".. I think this is why the topic brings up as much contention as it has here. On a technical level, if you have access to less direct peers, you have routes the are physically longer on average, and therefore very simply, most likely higher pings. This also creates a single point of failure and almost definitely a negative long-term effect on your uptime as well.

You'll obviously know your customer base better than anyone though, so if it has marketing benefits to trump the technical drawbacks that keep most major network operators from running their network this way (which I would say is why you're having as hard a time as you are finding this), I'd say go for it. It should still be possible to get just Internap from a provider if it's in their upstream, however it does require capable equipment, administration, and a general willingness on their part there for them to make it worth their while. I would avoid going direct with Internap at all costs at that commitment level, I've personally watched almost identical 10Mbps agreements with Internap and Mzima put several of your competitors under... save that for when you're pushing a few Gbps.
    I'll leave aside the business considerations of a gaming company, as I have absolutely no experience in that area, but being "single homed" to Internap isn't like being single homed to a single Tier 1, and I think you know that. It's the same as being "single-homed" to anyone else that provides a BGP mix, yourself included. Weren't you guys "single homed" to another Tier 2, Mzima, at several locations for quite awhile (and still are)? Care to explain how Internap's multiple border routers using HSRP, with transit from 7-9 carriers, is somehow a single point of failure while your border routers (don't know if they are redundant or not) pulling Mzima & XO are more redundant?

I would venture to guess most people mixing Internap with someone else are either doing so to reduce costs, or to be multihomed to get their own address space. Doing just straight BGP with Internap and other carriers doesn't seem to me to be a particularly good idea for strictly performance reasons--Internap is going to have a higher BGP hop count on just about every route as compared to a Tier 1, or even some Tier 2s, so you're going to be doing a lot of prefixing to get the performance benefit of Internap (using it with a FCP is a different story).

Quote Originally Posted by lockbull View Post
    I'll leave aside the business considerations of a gaming company, as I have absolutely no experience in that area, but being "single homed" to Internap isn't like being single homed to a single Tier 1, and I think you know that. It's the same as being "single-homed" to anyone else that provides a BGP mix, yourself included. Weren't you guys "single homed" to another Tier 2, Mzima, at several locations for quite awhile (and still are)? Care to explain how Internap's multiple border routers using HSRP, with transit from 7-9 carriers, is somehow a single point of failure while your border routers (don't know if they are redundant or not) pulling Mzima & XO are more redundant?

I would venture to guess most people mixing Internap with someone else are either doing so to reduce costs, or to be multihomed to get their own address space. Doing just straight BGP with Internap and other carriers doesn't seem to me to be a particularly good idea for strictly performance reasons--Internap is going to have a higher BGP hop count on just about every route as compared to a Tier 1, or even some Tier 2s, so you're going to be doing a lot of prefixing to get the performance benefit of Internap (using it with a FCP is a different story).
    Took the words right out of my mouth...probably the only accurate post in this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast