Denver FDCservers

I am looking to colocate with FDC in Denver and wanted to know if anyone had any opinions about their Denver colocation.

Hows the network, etc?

Thanks

i'm on a dedi there, network seems to be very solid, and i do like it very much.

if i ever decide to colo(could be in the very near future) i would be coloing in fdc denver.
    "Unix is simple. It just takes a genius to understand its simplicity." – Dennis Ritchie

I have been on a dedicated server there for about two months. Took several days to get the server setup, but after that it's been smooth sailing. Responsive support, no downtime.

I have 1 colo in their Denver datacenter and 2 at the Chicago datacenter. Haven't had any problems with either of them.
    Dedispec, LLC.
    Dedicated Servers | Cloud Hosting | Colocation
    www.dedispec.com - sales[at]dedispec.com

Quote Originally Posted by tr0gd0r View Post
    I am looking to colocate with FDC in Denver and wanted to know if anyone had any opinions about their Denver colocation.

Hows the network, etc?

Thanks
    We co-located a box in Denver due to the fact we wanted another data center for redundancy. Of course no remote hands of our own at this location.

FedEx decided to do number on our server. We had it going under load for three whole days prior to test the hardware. FDC was super helpful in helping troubleshooting and rebuilding our box. This included providing us a temp PSU for a week and a half while we shipped them a new PSU and then a cable (via UPS).

They even double checked our cable purchase before we ordered as wanted to make sure it would fit.

Mad props to Peter J. @ Denver

Do you know how much they charge for remote hands? Did they charge you at all for helping out with your server?

Quote Originally Posted by tr0gd0r View Post
    Do you know how much they charge for remote hands? Did they charge you at all for helping out with your server?
    They just charged us a $50 setup fee but it was more than an a few hours of remote hands. I've never been charged any other fee from them. They will do basic troubleshooting and free reboots etc.

I will say that they are pretty helpful in Chicago when we have to go in. They will burn us CDs, loan us sharpies, USB cd-roms, etc.

Thumbs up

Have a dedi in denver since May and its been great!

Support has also been really helpful and they actually reply fast no matter what time you contact.

Looking at a colo in denver hopefully i can make the move before they sellout.

Have part of our network (VPS customers) at Denver.

Extremely helpful and their network is awesome.

We love the quick response.
    HostGuard.net - VPS Control Panel
    Automating and monitoring your hosting business.

Quote Originally Posted by Katatonic View Post
    Have part of our network (VPS customers) at Denver.

Extremely helpful and their network is awesome.

We love the quick response.
    Yeah i forget about their ticket response times, but FDC is nearly instant every time i ever open a ticket.
    "Unix is simple. It just takes a genius to understand its simplicity." – Dennis Ritchie

I'm at FDC Chicago, their network has been pretty good, had some hiccups at first but everything is fine now. From what I understand their Denver network is superior to Chicago in terms of stability.

No it's not.

Chicago has more bandwidth capacity too. More carriers and is preference for when they continuously add more:

Chicago
    80Gbps Comcast
    20Gbps TATA
    20Gbps Nlayer
    20Gbps private peering
    10Gbps XEEX
    10Gbps Internap

Denver
    20Gbps Comcast
    20Gbps TATA
    1Gbps Internap
    They've got more, but that's what they had around August, 2009.

Higher number of carriers does not necessarily mean more stable...
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Well no, but it is a good starting point.

And I did add the "too" in there, indicating, besides stability, there are more carriers / bandwidth / they add more there because it's their primary (more stable location).

Rather than posting irrelevant info, figured it's good to backup my post

And I did add the "too" in there, indicating, besides stability, there are more carriers / bandwidth / they add more there because it's their primary (more stable location).

Rather than posting irrelevant info, figured it's good to backup my post
    That was my point though, you have done absolutely nothing to demonstrate how their Chicago location is more stable, yet are making the claim it is.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

1. It's in CBOT
    2. It is their primary location with more staff (both still give decent response times)
    3. Network capacity is stronger (bandwidth, connectivity and stability)

End of the day though - each location is great and both have decent up time. It just comes down to where you'd like to geographically place your server(s).

If you had the choice or had to choose (which the person who made the stability statement implied due to their experience) they'd pick Denver (even though for whatever reason they have their server(s) at Chicago.

Way too many variables. FDC are just solid, period.

Regarding doing absolutely nothing - How does not having more carriers (or access to them via cross exchanging) / more bandwidth availability NOT contribute to network stability? I did specifically say, it is a good starting point indicating; but apparently not at all?

I would actually disagree at this point in time. Consider the outage on 7/23/09 that lasted for an 45 mins to an hour. Denver hasn't had a major outage since it was operational, correct?

More bandwidth is kind of meaningless for stability. You don't know exactly how or if the bandwidth in Chicago is multi-homed via a diverse path. Do they lease multiple lambdas from the same provider? Do they lease fiber pairs from the same provider? Are the upstreams in CBOT and in Equinix or just in Equinix, etc?
    Last edited by whfsdude; 09-30-2009 at 02:18 PM. Reason: added "multi-homed via a diverse path"
    Will D.
    ManageMyDedi

Well sure, they should be single homed then - shouldn't make any difference. Which can be true, just depends which way you look at it. Each carrier has their specific purpose whether it's better peering, reliability, speed, redundancy etc.

Their Chicago outage was due to a core router failing with insufficient backup.

Denver hasn't had an outage, but it's only been available for ~6 months.

Irregardless every location gets their fair share of hiccups - it's why they hire staff in the first place.

Again - I said it's an indication and there are so many variables to consider why any one want's their servers at a specific place.

If their head quarters, staffing levels, network capability doesn't indicate stability, then okay.

I will say it again: How does having multiple higher capacity carriers NOT show _any_ sign of stability than another location? I did not suggest, or imply (directly or indirectly) it is the only means of testing, but an indication.

If you want to bring up more variables and make it pointlessly complex then you can do so, but I'm just backing up my statements.

Even if you didn't understand it in terms of carriers - if that DC is expanding quicker than the other and it's network is given higher priority over the other, I know where I'd put my servers. Given FDC's availability and their always (so they say) limited continuous run indicates that everyone else is happy there too; if a DC isn't stable, even 0.0001% you'll hear about it.
    Last edited by Katatonic; 09-30-2009 at 03:04 PM.

I have their Atom Dual Core server for $49/mo and I love it, excellent bandwidth and EXCELLENT support going out of their way to help me out.

EDIT: This is at the Denver location by the way.