Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This should be illegal...

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/image...500x_76SC6.jpg

For half the console price (or at least now about half), you can get the Geek Squad to drive to your house and set it up.

I wonder how many suckers fell for this "incredible offer".
    Nothing here right now.

Why should it be illegal?
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

I am sure there are many people with no clue, who purchase it. Kinda sad really.

That's quite a price for setting up a video game console.
    http://www.rskeens.com
    A casual blog mainly about the web hosting industry

Quote Originally Posted by sirius View Post
    Why should it be illegal?
    Price Gouging? Only instead of gas it's a setup service. You decide
    Nothing here right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt - HostMist View Post
    Price Gouging? Only instead of gas it's a setup service. You decide
    Consumers have a choice to purchase a service or not. If someone wants a service, they'll pay for it... if they find the price too high, they'll go someplace else. Nothing illegal about it.
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

I guess if people want to buy it; then so be it. Is there anything wrong with someone selling VPS's 1GB RAM, 50GB Diskspace for $100.00? No one makes a customer purchase such items. They do it out of there own free will.
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

There will always be lazy people with too much money.
    || Higher Intellect || Half a million documents and climbing.
    || OMGWTFBBQ || Nothing of value here.

I see nothing wrong with it, the customer is free to accept or reject the offer. Now if they put it on the bill without the customers knowledge or made false claims that the product would not work without then I would consider it illegal.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

LMAO some of you need to like chill. Seems the title pulled you in here and that's all you care about.

BTW VPS is a service that "recurs" PS3 setup is a one time thing. It would be unfair to compare cause a PS3 requires little if any work whereas a VPS requires actual work to set it up just right.

VPS service is useful a PS3 setup is useless. What are you gonna do plug it in and play it for me? Get real.
    Nothing here right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt - HostMist View Post
    VPS service is useful a PS3 setup is useless. What are you gonna do plug it in and play it for me? Get real.
    It's useless for you... but not for everyone else, or they wouldnt offer the service. Just because you don't agree with the service or like it's price, doesnt make it wrong or illegal.

Sirius is right, but I think it was more of an expression than literal Anyone can charge whatever they want for anything. I would just love to know how they make it seem like a big job when they do install it.

Must be quite funny seeing it set up in under 5 minutes.
    http://www.rskeens.com
    A casual blog mainly about the web hosting industry

It's what you call "percieved value".

If it is worth it to them then they will pay for it. You do not see it as a value and neither do I so we would not pay for it.
    My IP >> 127.0.0.1 Hack Away!!

That gives me a new biz idea...... rent a small building in a city right next to geeksquad services or anywhere near where they are located and place a sign that says * We will do any service geeksquad does for 60% less*
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeden View Post
    That gives me a new biz idea...... rent a small building in a city right next to geeksquad services or anywhere near where they are located and place a sign that says * We will do any service geeksquad does for 60% less*
    Haha I'm in That's a good idea.
    Nothing here right now.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeden View Post
    This is capitalism at it's finest! Go for it!

The problem with this is with first time buyers who don't realize they are getting snookered. What's the sales pitch? Do they make it sound like an extremely hard thing? At a certain point it becomes blatantly immoral to make too much money off someone else's lack of knowledge on something so simple, knowing the customer could easily plug the console in, boot it, and have it figured out on their own within a couple of minutes.

Is dumb squad really getting this desperate for business that they need to resort to this type of over pricing for such simple things?

I don't see a problem, great for those who are clueless. You have to remember some of these people have more money then time and might not have the first clue how to plug in the power cord. Try talking to a home theater install guy, they service clients all the time with tons of money who will pay anything, "just get it done".

It is a little pricey, but thats great, at least their making money, whereas most people on this forum are trying to compete in a market where you can get unlimited bandwidth/storage web hosting starting at 4.95 a month

Quote Originally Posted by netfreak View Post
    There will always be lazy people with too much money.
    Bahh you equate anyone unable to do the things you find easy to lazy people do you.

You dont paint yourself in a favorable light with such generalizations.

Seems like a reasonable service and some folks would be more than willing to pay that price too. It's all relative.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob View Post
    Seems like a reasonable service and some folks would be more than willing to pay that price too. It's all relative.
    It's not reasonable to charge someone $199 for such a simple 10 minute job by a tech making only about $15/hr. Its all relative...

Quote Originally Posted by Webdude View Post
    It's not reasonable to charge someone $199 for such a simple 10 minute job by a tech making only about $15/hr. Its all relative...
    If they're willing to pay for it, who are you to stop them from wasting their money.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

It's sad, but there is always someone willing to "take" your money off you. The standard rule applies, buyer beware

They are doing more then just hooking it up to the TV and power. I'm sure driving to someone's house, installing, updating and setting up the console is worth $129 to some people who haven't got a clue, or maybe just can't find the time to do it themselves. Customers must have been asking them for such a service, because if there was no demand, it wouldn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali View Post
    They are doing more then just hooking it up to the TV and power. I'm sure driving to someone's house, installing, updating and setting up the console is worth $129 to some people who haven't got a clue, or maybe just can't find the time to do it themselves. Customers must have been asking them for such a service, because if there was no demand, it wouldn't exist.
    Yeah but it is still bad to PAYYOURSELF 129 DOLLARS FOR 10 MINUTES OF WORK. No matter how clueless or how much money they have.

Although if you cant follow instructions that says insert here then maybe a personal aid is more needed.
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast