VPS help, need some advice.

So HOPEFULLY soon enough I can start my ebusiness. The past few days have been one of the final steps, finding a host. It has been exhausting, and very frustrating. I realized that I should most likely jump straight into a VPS insted of the standard shared servers. They all seem like scams, all this "unlimited" talk is too good to be true. And I don't want to risk tons of downtime, and maybe even being taken off the hosting because my site is too professional....

I need the VPS to be around 25/month, and have MySql, PHP5, full shell, and it needs to come with a free domain registration. I haven't registered a domain yet, although I know the name, and have already done all my sites scripts...basically the last step is to find a good provider.

So please mention some good services, my head is pounding from sitting on the computer for 8 hours today looking at options. I feel stuck and more confused than ever.

I suggest you register the domain name first. Why whould you script first and then register a domain name? Go to Godaddy.com and register a domain name for your self and then look for a VPS from the vps offers forum.
    Hussain Baig - 1-866-954-6747
    Toronto based VPS - Dedicated Servers - Colocation
    VPS Fusion - Providing scalable and reliable hosting solutions.

I don't know of any VPS providers that provide free domain registration with the service, that's something you'd need to do independently.

It's a general rule of thumb: get your hosting services from one provider and your domains elsewhere.
    Michael T. @ Resellr.Net - CEO
    The Premier Reseller Hosting Solution
    Visit Us @ Resellr.Net | Follow Resellr.Net on Twitter

Yes register your own domain first, preferable from a good provider like godaddy, or an good enom provider. This way you are in control of your domains, Plenty of VPS provider can match your budget have you tried the VPS offers section?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by --cresko-- View Post
    I realized that I should most likely jump straight into a VPS insted of the standard shared servers. They all seem like scams, all this "unlimited" talk is too good to be true. And I don't want to risk tons of downtime, and maybe even being taken off the hosting because my site is too professional....
    None of that is a valid reason to jump straight into a VPS. Are you capable of managing a server yourself? Do you want to learn? If not, you should go for shared hosting or a fully-managed VPS.

$25 is towards the low end of the budget range for capable, high-quality fully-managed VPSs, but (depending on your requirements) can be more than enough for a top-quality shared account. Unless you specifically need something (like custom configurations or root access) that's only available with VPS, I'd suggest you look again at shared hosts. By all means ignore those with "Unlimited" offers if you prefer.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

I need full root access in order to install my scripts. I have good knowledge as to running a server. But at the same time I am busy with school on top of business. Maybe a VPS that is semi-managed. And yes tomorrow I will purchase my domains, .com, .ca, and .net.

I am looking for suggestions on good VPS hosts.

I need full root access in order to install my scripts. I have good knowledge as to running a server. But at the same time I am busy with school on top of business. Maybe a VPS that is semi-managed. And yes tomorrow I will purchase my domains, .com, .ca, and .net.
    $25/mo for an unmanaged VPS is possible but semi or fully managed is going to be tight, at least from a reputable host. It's a shame you weren't looking a week ago because ServerComplete.com had a very good offer which expired on 9/17/2009.

My advice is to search the VPS Hosting Offers forum, who knows you might find an offer that meets your needs and budget

For example, FutureHosting.com has a good offer for $29.97/mo after coupon, again check out that forum.

Last but not least you should register your domains with an established domain registrar such as NameCheap.com or GoDaddy.com
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

You did not specify what your exact needs are in a VPS (memory, disk, bandwidth, etc... Do you need a control panel? can you get by with unmanaged?)

For your budget I agree with foobic and the others, you might want to look at a quality shared hosting provider who will fully support you, see how your needs grow with your business and plan accordingly. Being a new venture they typically take awhile to scale up. I've used a number of VPS and shared/reseller hosting (but a number of those don't seem to offer shared anymore) but if you go the shared route take a look at Innohosting.

If you do decide that you need to start out with a VPS (ex: b/c of your scripts) take a look at Knownhost. They currently have a special running that would get you their VS2 account for less then $30/mo (first month $17.50). Since you have your own scripts I doubt you would need a Control Panel anyway so this would be a good start for you and put you into a fully managed host that is known for working with you.

A VPS can easily outperform most shared hosting account given you purchase enough RAM and they do not overload their nodes so you have a decent chunk of the CPU. If you do decide to go with a VPS, I'd recommend getting a VPS has at least 256MB ram with Plesk. cPanel tends to be heavier on server resources, cPanel licensing is also significant in the price.

iam not sure who can offer free domain with vps

Try to contact the host you want they may be able offer you a free domain.

How is slicehost? Not a bad deal.

I really like Slicehost, they and Linode are my two unmanaged recommendations. If you feel comfortable with an taking care of things yourself then unmanaged is a viable option for you.

How is slicehost? Not a bad deal.
    It is unmanaged. As it was said, if you're not a server admin, you need a fully managed VPS, or just go for a shared hosting account. For the price, it'll likely be more cost effective (better numbers, better performance even) and you can definitely get a high quality, non-unlimited shared hosting account, from a totally respectable, and experienced provider for $25 and even for less.

Some of the high quality VPS providers you might have looked at probably offer shared hosting too, and that can save you some reputation research time.

I've used Linode for a few months now and their service is awesome! I will definitely second that recommendation.

Arrow

The "Offers" section is a great place to look for CURRENT specials. Make sure you take a look down there before you go with a host. Often Hosts will give special discounts and freebies that you'd otherwise miss out on.
    Deasoft.com Aussie & USA VPS, Reseller & Shared Hosting + WHMreseller & DAreseller
    AutoBillMe.com - The Non-PHP Automated Billing Solution for Web Hosts
    WHMreseller - The first Alpha/Master Reseller Plugin for cPanel
    DAreseller - The first Alpha/Master Reseller Plugin for DirectAdmin

Since all I really need is Mysql, PHP5, and full root to install my scripts, does it really matter if I manage my own server or not? I'm willing to learn, and it won't take long since I am quite technologically sound. Does linode feature Mysql and PHP5? Not a bad deal there either.

Arrow

All Hosts should be able to offer you a Free Web Panel of some sort that would include LAMP (Linux, Apache, Mysql, PHP).

Those are pretty standard, they can even be install yourself using "yum" or "apt-get".
    Deasoft.com Aussie & USA VPS, Reseller & Shared Hosting + WHMreseller & DAreseller
    AutoBillMe.com - The Non-PHP Automated Billing Solution for Web Hosts
    WHMreseller - The first Alpha/Master Reseller Plugin for cPanel
    DAreseller - The first Alpha/Master Reseller Plugin for DirectAdmin

DirectAdmin is quite a bit cheaper than CPanel if you're looking for a CP as well. Generally around $5 a month from most providers; something to look in to. It pre-installs Apache 2, PHP 5 and MySQL 5 and it's quite secure from my experience. I've used DirectAdmin for over a year now and I wouldn't switch back to CPanel personally.
    Michael T. @ Resellr.Net - CEO
    The Premier Reseller Hosting Solution
    Visit Us @ Resellr.Net | Follow Resellr.Net on Twitter

Thanks for the help everyone, its been a stressful few days with tons of options. I think I am going to go with knownhost. They have a good deal on right now, and their services seem very good. Now for the next question, cpanel, directadmin, or plesk. They are all the same price.

Thanks for the help everyone, its been a stressful few days with tons of options. I think I am going to go with knownhost. They have a good deal on right now, and their services seem very good. Now for the next question, cpanel, directadmin, or plesk. They are all the same price.
    That depends even more on your requirements. DirectAdmin takes less resources so depending on the specifications of the VPS you've got, that could be an important point to consider.

I'd advise you to go to each of their websites (DA/cPanel/Plesk) and play with their demos. Then maybe look around at their support forums and some tutorials to see which one you feel most comfortable with.

Personally, I'd vote for DirectAdmin just because you're on a VPS and minimizing resource usage (CPU/RAM) is important.
    AdelaideHost - providing shared and VPS hosting.
    Reliability and professionalism at prices that don't hurt your wallet!

KnownHost.com is an excellent choice and it's fully managed. Just make sure your VPS has sufficient RAM and I would choose DirectAdmin.
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?