posting negative comments about our company

Hello Friends

One of our client giving negative image about our company, his hosting account expired on June 2009, he didn't paid and renewed his account.

after few months (September) asking his files back, usually we have few days grace period after expiry date, now it is not possible to give his backup.

so that he posting bad reviews about our company, he posting reviews on very popular forums and blogs etc.,

how to stop this or how to prove to public about his false reviews?

Please advice..
    Last edited by webhost18; 09-22-2009 at 01:02 AM.
    WebHost18.com - Domains | Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Server
    Bravo Technologies - Complete Network and Security Solutions Provider

The only way I can think of is to try and track down where he posts and reply to those posts with your side of the story, though that can be very tedious. You can also just talk to him and kindly ask him to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by webhost18 View Post
    Hello Friends

One of our client giving negative image about our company, his hosting account expired on June 2009, he didn't paid and renewed his account.

after few months (September) asking his files back, usually we have few days grace period after expiry date, now it is not possible to give his backup.

so that he posting bad reviews about our company, he posting reviews on very popular forums and blogs etc.,

how to stop this or how to prove to public about his false reviews?

Please advice..
    Hello webhost18... I truly feel for you here.. we went through something like this (are still going through it actually) with a spammer we kicked off of our networks, who then turned around and balckmailed us - either pay then $x or they would spread negative reviews all over the internet.. in our case, we donated the money to charity and chose to deal with their negative reviews... the only advise I can give you is to fight them tooth and nail.. Most legitimate review sites will work with you and will see through the situation and will identify duplicate and fake reviews.. WHT for example did a great job in helping us when these spammers - well, went ahead and flagrantly spammed WHT with obvious slanderous and false information.. unfortunately, there are several review sites and such on the internet that really do not operate ethically themselves and they could care less about such tactics being used - and many, will promote such tactics to drive their hits up and increase their own revenue... it becomes even more complicated when these sorts of individuals can hide in countries where they cannot be litigated and are able to continue to act in a manner that is considered illegal in most parts of the world.. best advise I can give you is to hang in there, keep providing excellent service and rely on your customers, to help you.. and if you provide good quality of services, your customers will help you - of this I can assure you...

Sorry you have to go through this - but, its part and parcel for this industry.. the internet is a wonderful place - but, with all of the freedoms and opportunities it presents, it also enables a certain type of person to behave a certain way - something they would never have been able to get away with previously.. take the good with the bad and just focus on your business and focus on your service levels... clowns like this do not last - I can assure you of that...
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Why don't skip that and go ahead. You need to work on your service and current customers. Just ignore that and go ahead

Quote Originally Posted by SiberForum View Post
    Why don't skip that and go ahead. You need to work on your service and current customers. Just ignore that and go ahead
    I'm inclined to agree with you but if someone is determined enough then they really can cause harm to the reputation of a business.

As cartika-andrew said, your best bet (webhost18) is to try to work with the owners of the blogs/forums that this person is posting on and hope that they'll accept your proof and remove or edit the person's posts. The more reputable forums like WHT would be more willing to do it and that is where you'll need to aim most of your damage control.
    You would assume that the posts on less-reputable forums or blogs will do a lot less harm than a post on the likes of WHT so you may just have to wear that.

Of course, all this assumes that you can prove yourself to be in the right.
    AdelaideHost - providing shared and VPS hosting.
    Reliability and professionalism at prices that don't hurt your wallet!

Forums are public places. And on the forums any customer can post as good as bad reviews. Better do the best in providing good service and soon in a few months you will have much better reviews

I like the idea of the contacting the owners of the foums and other places. Just try to explain things for them. I assume that should work and that should improve the situation for you
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

If you are on the right position just answer the review posted by this customer you had without being negative on them. Those who will read his review will understand your position. These things happen and you don't need to overreact. It is a good idea however to keep a offsite back copy of the information for the customers you had within the past 12 - 24 months. It will increase your costs, but this is something that is required by the law in certain countries.
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

As long as you can prove to the public, no need to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by SiberForum View Post
    Forums are public places. And on the forums any customer can post as good as bad reviews. Better do the best in providing good service and soon in a few months you will have much better reviews
    Yeah but some forums have good measures to prevent fake reviews. WHT like forums which are efficiently moderated will take care of this if you can provide the proof. So in such cases he can make use of that. Some other forums may not be like this and leave that ones as you said. I strongly suggest OP to contact those forums which have a reputation for validated reviews; to look into your issue and ask help to prevent him spreading the fake news.

The only way I can think of is to try and track down where he posts and reply to those posts with your side of the story, though that can be very tedious.
    I'd go that route, with the mention that your attitude in the reply may weight even more than what your words have to say. Keep cool and professional, otherwise you can be 1000 times right and the reader will still side against you.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    I'd go that route, with the mention that your attitude in the reply may weight even more than what your words have to say. Keep cool and professional, otherwise you can be 1000 times right and the reader will still side against you.
    Yes Dan, that is a relevant point. If you loose your temper and say some thing rash it will give adverse effect rather than clarifying your side.