Reasonable support response - server down.

Hi all,

Just wondering what you guys would say was an acceptable response time from the support desk when your VPS goes down and you raise a critical ticket.

Mine's been down twice in 3 days. First time was just over an hour on saturday and today i noticed it at 2pm and it's still down now (3.10pm) and i've heard nothing despite logging a critical call.

Cheers

Server down - 15 mins tops.
    Web Hosting Plus
    Premium Australian Web Hosting

That's what i figured!
    Thanks for confirming i'm not just an over demanding customer.

if they're taking over an hour to respond to a server offline, my advice would be to get your data and move out as soon as its up again.
    Web Hosting Plus
    Premium Australian Web Hosting

Any reason specified for this down time by your provider?

That's the plan. Unfortunately though it's one of the highly recommended UK companies on here. seems to have been slipping the last few weeks though.

Think i might just bite the bullet and go for a Dedi with KVM access. At least i could see whats happening then.

Edit:
    Hostechsupport - the first was "the nic got over loaded" and this one, having just received an update, says they are escalating to higher level support.

I'll wait and see and post the response..
    Last edited by Nutnut; 09-21-2009 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Post overlap

Hi!

"NIC got overloaded" is an excuse..and a poor one at that. Very, very poor. Grab your data and move on..I would.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

I would say 15/30 minutes, 3 days is insane and certainly not good.

You should switch provider if thats the case.

Cheers

I would agree with 15/30 minutes, but you might want to contact your provider to check if there is no misunderstanding, with us, we have many times that the email doesn't reach the client, that is why we always suggest to check the ticket status at the client area.
    Waveweb Technologies
    http://www.waveweb.com
    Customer Service Guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by ActiveForce View Post
    I would say 15/30 minutes, 3 days is insane and certainly not good.
    It's not been down for 3 days, it's happened twice in 3 days - hour+ each time (still down now though).

Quote Originally Posted by waveweb View Post
    I would agree with 15/30 minutes, but you might want to contact your provider to check if there is no misunderstanding, with us, we have many times that the email doesn't reach the client, that is why we always suggest to check the ticket status at the client area.
    The mails from them reach me and i always check the client area anyway. They have put in an update after 1 hour that says it's being escalated. Nothing since. and it is still down.

This is just a REALLY poor show. Over 2 hours now.

Don't really want to name them just incase they have a valid excuse although if they have it had better be pretty special!

3 hours and another update saying "We have notified about your issue to our higher level team and they will update you shortly."

Ho Hum, As most of my users are in the States.... Wired tree here we come. Hope they work well on UK BST time?

I can say, from my experience, the resonse time is 15 mins, if there is really a crowded situation you might wait till 20 mins max.

After the initial response we check the server, ping, SSH access, WHM access and if 2/3 are down we reboot the server (most cases, but if SSH hangs there is something wrong).

For a server down there can be few situations, from network failure, power outage, disks blown etc.
    The easiest part is if your server is overloaded, other thing might take few hours to resolve. Unfortunately.

I know how long it can take to fix a busted server, i do it for a living as, i'm sure, do most on here.

I know that when a server is down, you chuck resources at the physical issue and a another person at the clients to keep them informed and happy. Not just ignore them until the issue is resolved. That's what's got my goat!

BTW, i can ping my server on all 8 addresses but no SSH, WEB, DNS, cPanel, etc.

Bad thing is that companies, that want to attract clients, offer 3x everything and then million orders come in and they can not setup every order as fast as you want.

I know, it took me about 9 hrs just to get an answer that they are processing orders. I said fine, let's wait a bit.
    After 12 hrs from my order the VPS was set up. Wow, finnaly I figured.
    Now the pain started - my login into the server's CP doesn't work (simmilar to the Parallels panel), after 4 days it got fixed after I suggested they recreate my account.

But hosting 30ish servers on one node, especially if it has 100MBit connection is dumb.
    I have experienced 2Mbit speeds on a bought 10Mbit line. After awhile I got true speed but it was really dumb to see that.

I must say I got the best support from the companies that you pay $50 for a VPS, a normal one. Fast response times, unlike certain companies where I got an appologie that my issue is getting escalated to Lvl3. Great.
    Lvl3 answered me after 40 mins saying I should go and reset my password.

Now, I've gone really far, but I just wanted to say I like to give them an oportunity to shine - if not - good riddance.
    I once changed companies because after the virtuozzo update exim wasn't working, gave them 3 days to fix it, no result. I was paying for that VPS $46-$48.

That's just it. I'm paying the premium for the support based on recommendations from other WHT users. I pay £31 ($50 US) for a 512MB VPS. To be fair, the server is great when it works and once support look at it, the issue is usually resolved very quickly.

If they had just said "sorry, but we've blown the RAID board - new one on the way" then i'd know it's gonna be a few hours and i wouldn't be looking for a new host

I believe they don't even have a first/second/third line support structure as i ALWAYS speak to one of 2 people and they are always the senior guys.

I would say 5/10 mins

Well - server's still down. 6 Hours now and still nothing but "i have escalated to senior techs.....".

At the risk of straying of topic, I just signed up with WiredTree. Fingers crossed i'll have a better experience! Sent a mail to their sales dept asking all sorts of techy questions and got a v.good response very quickly.

Doubled the RAM to 1024MB, almost double HDD at 80GB and FULLY Managed all for a £10 more (but half price for forst 2 months so £8 less). Woot!