Question Site continually down to some but not others

Before I post details of my problem, this isn't a thread complaining about Scarabweb.

The reason I am posting this thread is to see if anyone can shed any light on this problem I have been experiencing with my server with them, on and off for quite some time now. The reason I am posting this here is because so many of you are a lot more intelligent than me when it comes to hosting and I'm hoping you may be able to help me find the answers that I'm looking for.

Let's begin...

Every now and then I receive a lot of complaints from people trying to access my website saying that the site appears to be down to them. This has happened to me at times also but the server hasn't been down, it just appears to be. What I mean by this is this. Over the last few days we have received a lot of emails from people saying they cannot access our website although I am able to and so are others including Scarabweb.

The thing is, it's not just an isolated problem because people around the world at various locations are reporting this to us. Various ISP's, various countries etc.

A common email I receive is 'I could access the site two days ago, I couldn't yesterday, but now I can today' which shows an intermittent problem of some kind.

Scarabweb always respond to the support tickets promptly. They tell me to submit TRACERT reports. The thing is a lot of people don't understand how to do this and when I have submitted them in the past, there still hasn't been a definite answer.

I have never experienced this with any host I have been with over 11+ years.

Any help is appreciated on this. Again, I'm not criticising Scarabweb, I'm just looking for further feedback from others.

The domain in question is k optalk.co.uk

Thankyou.

probably to their firewall specification they have cut spesific range of ips from around the world thats why people complain that the page is downloaded to them
    Exept if you have a dns issue you have not complete sussesfully the dns setup
    if this is your domain http://www.20optalk.co.uk i get an error from my location i cannot see your page
    k-planethost
    shared hosting,reseller vps at http://k-planet.gr

It seems that you misplaced this -- do you actually have a "dedicated server," or just a website on the server that belongs to the host you mention? If you do have a dedicated server, then you can figure out what's going on by watching your server for an extented period of time (do a "top" in SSH) ... your site may be inaccessible because apache is down, and apache may be down because of high server load ... for example.

Regards,
    John
    Serving the U.S. and Europe ••• BASIC Networks Corp.
    VPS • Dedicated Servers • Racks
    Hosting & Reseller Hosting
    eNom Domain Registration Reseller • WHMCS Domain Reseller Accounts

Quote Originally Posted by k-planethost View Post
    probably to their firewall specification they have cut spesific range of ips from around the world thats why people complain that the page is downloaded to them
    Exept if you have a dns issue you have not complete sussesfully the dns setup
    if this is your domain http://www.20optalk.co.uk i get an error from my location i cannot see your page
    replace '20' with a k

Quote Originally Posted by Johnn View Post
    It seems that you misplaced this -- do you actually have a "dedicated server," or just a website on the server that belongs to the host you mention? If you do have a dedicated server, then you can figure out what's going on by watching your server for an extented period of time (do a "top" in SSH) ... your site may be inaccessible because apache is down, and apache may be down because of high server load ... for example.

Regards,
    John
    Hello John

Yes it's my dedicated server with them.

SSH is over my head lol. There isn't much traffic as far as I am aware.

Those who cannot see the site can see the site via hidemyass.com

It's very annoying as you can imagine.

check your bw, to see if the taffic push hitting your servers. sometimes it happens at this situation. hope it works for you. best of wishes

Quote Originally Posted by DNK74 View Post
    Hello John

SSH is over my head lol.
    Well, you might want to learn.

Because my suggestion is that the next time you get these reports that you get the reporting persons ip address and try to tracert back to them from the console of your server.

Your other option is sites like downforeveryoneorjustme.com and
    looking glass sites.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

yes the domain is working properly sorry
    i believe that they had cut specific range of ips per country.
    Since they can see via proxy the domain i think thats the reason.
    Do you have a firewall on the box ?
    Have you configured by yourself?
    k-planethost
    shared hosting,reseller vps at http://k-planet.gr

Quote Originally Posted by plumsauce View Post
    Well, you might want to learn.
    It's just a time factor. I really have no time at all to learn. But i'll try for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by k-planethost View Post
    yes the domain is working properly sorry
    i believe that they had cut specific range of ips per country.
    Since they can see via proxy the domain i think thats the reason.
    Do you have a firewall on the box ?
    Have you configured by yourself?
    ConfigServer Security & Firewall - csf v4.16 is on the server, the server is managed.

I cleared blocked IP's yesterday from the deny list. There is just one in there today.

All tracert's are reporting "unknown host". One lad said today he can access the site sometimes but others it's just dead.

I think we may have found a problem with the A records. I will report back.