LGA1156 Board For SC512 ?

Just wondering if anyone has tested any of the new boards by Intel or others for LGA1156 processors in the Supermicro SC512L chassis? And how is there compatibility with CentOS? ie: the P55 boards by Intel
    NodePlex - Powerful and Customizable Dedicated Servers
    Experienced Dedicated Server Hosting since 2003
    EasyPro - Professional Website Builder
    The tools and performance you need to build stunning websites

supermicro X8SIL-F socket 1156 microATX board is highly recommended:
    http://www.supermicro.com/xeon_3400/...SIL.cfm?IPMI=Y
    it costs ~$190, but it does have integrated IPMI+KVM on board, and it's a perfect fit for for SC512L chassis as well as any other mini/compact chassis from SC510/SC502/SC503 series.

thus far, I still can't locate any 1U active mini blower type cooler for LGA1156, and that rules out the possibility to use any LGA1156 desktop board in 1U chassis. also, the new DP55WB/WG boards made by Intel all come with 82578DC Gb NIC port which is not likely supported by current linux production kernels. DP55WB (~$100) has no on-board video. since DP55WG (w/video) costs ~$130, might just go for SM X8SIL-F board (dual 82574L GB NIC, IPMi+KVM).
    C.W. LEE, Apaq Digital Systems
    http://www.apaqdigital.com
    sales@apaqdigital.com

Are you sure the DP55WG has on-board video? The Intel site doesn't list it in the specs for that board, and none of the pics I've seen show any type of DVI or VGA port.

My understanding is that the WG board is just a full ATX version of the WB board. If it does indeed have video, I'll start testing now, since the layout appears similar enough to the current S775 boards that our passive cooling system would work great.
    Rob Tyree
    Versaweb - DDoS Protected Cloud and Dedicated Server Hosting
    Fiberhub - Affordable Colocation Services in Las Vegas, Dallas, Miami, and Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by cwl@apaqdigital View Post
    supermicro X8SIL-F socket 1156 microATX board is highly recommended:
    http://www.supermicro.com/xeon_3400/...SIL.cfm?IPMI=Y
    it costs ~$190, but it does have integrated IPMI+KVM on board, and it's a perfect fit for for SC512L chassis as well as any other mini/compact chassis from SC510/SC502/SC503 series.

thus far, I still can't locate any 1U active mini blower type cooler for LGA1156, and that rules out the possibility to use any LGA1156 desktop board in 1U chassis. also, the new DP55WB/WG boards made by Intel all come with 82578DC Gb NIC port which is not likely supported by current linux production kernels. DP55WB (~$100) has no on-board video. since DP55WG (w/video) costs ~$130, might just go for SM X8SIL-F board (dual 82574L GB NIC, IPMi+KVM).

We've got the same problem with active cooling. Despite being able to do passive on the X8's we still prefer active as added protection of fan failure, example in a 512L, atleast the 280F has 2 fans compared to the one blower in the 260B's but still in the event that main blower fails, don't want the system cooking

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Are you sure the DP55WG has on-board video? The Intel site doesn't list it in the specs for that board, and none of the pics I've seen show any type of DVI or VGA port.

My understanding is that the WG board is just a full ATX version of the WB board. If it does indeed have video, I'll start testing now, since the layout appears similar enough to the current S775 boards that our passive cooling system would work great.
    you were right that PD55WG doesn't have on-board video either! actually i've yet to find one LGA1156 "desktop" boards from Intel, Asus, Gigabyte, foxconn comes with integrated video because P55 chipset simply doesn't support it. this certainly makes it very difficult to install LGA1156 desktop board in 1U server.

looks like we need to stick with supermicro LGA1156 server boards which do have on-board Matrox G200eW video. X8SLI (w/o IPMI, w/2x Intel Gb NIC) costs just ~$150 which isn't really more expensive than most LGA1156 desktop boards, then why bother with desktop boards at all!?
    C.W. LEE, Apaq Digital Systems
    http://www.apaqdigital.com
    sales@apaqdigital.com

It would be best if Supermicro had a 3400 chipset server board that had no PCI or PCI-Express slots. What I mean is for 1st tier servers, if you use the onboard Intel SATA ports anyway and onboard GigE links, there is no reason to have the dual PCI-e 2.0 slots or the PCI slots. Everything attaches to the PCI-e x1 connections off the 3400 chipset and go through the CPU via DMI.

If they did that, they can cut more than 1/2 off the board real estate. (Costs less to produce for sure) It also frees the PCI-Express portion of the Lynnfield CPU so power can be used for turbo boosting.

Have a twin case for 2x nodes in 1U with pico-ITX sized 3400chipset boards. That would attract a lot of hyper scalers.
    Last edited by tshen83; 09-18-2009 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tshen83 View Post
    It would be best if Supermicro had a 3400 chipset server board that had no PCI or PCI-Express slots. What I mean is for 1st tier servers, if you use the onboard Intel SATA ports anyway and onboard GigE links, there is no reason to have the dual PCI-e 2.0 slots or the PCI slots. Everything attaches to the PCI-e x1 connections off the 3400 chipset and go through the CPU via DMI.

If they did that, they can cut more than 1/2 off the board real estate. (Costs less to produce for sure) It also frees the PCI-Express portion of the Lynnfield CPU so power can be used for turbo boosting.

Have a twin case for 2x nodes in 1U with pico-ITX sized 3400chipset boards. That would attract a lot of hyper scalers.
    It sounds like a good idea as long as you were 100% sure you would never want to install a RAID card or SAS drives.
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

Yeah, I am sure I will never use a PCI-E RAID card for first tier app servers since ZFS takes care of that Linux software RAID isn't that bad for RAID1 either. Intel Matrix storage software in Windows takes care of the rest.

I am speculating that if you don't use PCI-e x8 slots, the Lynnfield Xeons can internally shut off the PCI-express controller and give you more power savings.

Quote Originally Posted by WireSix View Post
    We've got the same problem with active cooling. Despite being able to do passive on the X8's we still prefer active as added protection of fan failure, example in a 512L, atleast the 280F has 2 fans compared to the one blower in the 260B's but still in the event that main blower fails, don't want the system cooking
    CPU fans fail far more often than chassis blowers. On the whole, we have far, far less issues with passive cooling than with active, assuming you are using a quality chassis to begin with.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Jay is absolutely correct - chassis fans are far more reliable than heatsink fans. We've gone to great lengths to design passive cooling for nearly all of the server configurations we build for exactly that reason.
    Rob Tyree
    Versaweb - DDoS Protected Cloud and Dedicated Server Hosting
    Fiberhub - Affordable Colocation Services in Las Vegas, Dallas, Miami, and Seattle

Does anyone have any sources for passive heatsinks for LGA1156 that will work for 1U server applications?

From Supermicro:
    Heatsink / Retention SNK-P0046P 1 1U PASSIVE CPU HS FOR INTEL LGA1156
    ASTUTE INTERNET: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Performance and Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, Shaw, CogecoPeer1, GTT/Tinet),
    AS63213 Cost Effective High Performance Network (Cogent, HE, GTT/Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

Quote Originally Posted by hhw View Post
    From Supermicro:
    Heatsink / Retention SNK-P0046P 1 1U PASSIVE CPU HS FOR INTEL LGA1156
    Great, thanks for the info !

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Jay is absolutely correct - chassis fans are far more reliable than heatsink fans. We've gone to great lengths to design passive cooling for nearly all of the server configurations we build for exactly that reason.
    We've had exactly the opposite.

With a large quantity of SC512L-260B chassis which are single-fan solutions relying on passive only is the worst possible idea. It is a single point of failure. This could be due to blower failures or even a failure in the fan header on the motherboard (seen it quite a few times)

At least the 280F and larger SM solutions are muli-fan so your entire system doesn't nuke itself when the one blower goes.

In all 512L-260b's we use active cooling in conjunction with the system blower. If one or the other goes, you'll at least be able to have a manageable downtime event instead of it burning itself to the ground before you know what happened.