Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power Metering

Could you do it? Yes, you could do a main tie main, but that would cost way way way more than to just put in a second bus-line.
    Jordan Jacobs | VP, Products|SingleHop| JJ @SingleHop.com
    Managed Dedicated Servers | Bare-Metal Servers | Cloud Services

I think we are missing the point here ;)

Quote Originally Posted by JordanJ View Post
    Could you do it? Yes, you could do a main tie main, but that would cost way way way more than to just put in a second bus-line.
    I think you still have to have PDUs for bus-line. You are comparing putting additional circuits per cabinets to putting second bus line. My point that bus line is one more bottleneck in the power infrastructure. Convenient? - may be.

Bus-lines still have to be plugged in somewhere. Now wherever you'll plug them will be equivalent of PDUs.

I think we are very far from OPs question. So if you have any more questions/suggestions you may want to start a new thread.

Thank you
    Professional Streaming services - http://www.tulix.com - info at tulix.com
    Double optimized - AS36820) network, best for live streaming/VoIP/gaming
    The best quality network - AS7219

Quote Originally Posted by tulix View Post
    I think you still have to have PDUs for bus-line. You are comparing putting additional circuits per cabinets to putting second bus line. My point that bus line is one more bottleneck in the power infrastructure. Convenient? - may be.

Bus-lines still have to be plugged in somewhere. Now wherever you'll plug them will be equivalent of PDUs.

I think we are very far from OPs question. So if you have any more questions/suggestions you may want to start a new thread.

Thank you
    A PDU is a transformer that has it secondary side connected to multiple panels, a panel is just 3 buses with breakers on them.

Starline simply is a transformer whos secondary connects to a bus that is in a different place.

I was comparing adding redundancy by allowing service of the transformer or head in unit by adding complexity in the system rather than add in simply another unit.

PDU's give a pretty fair idea of power consumption.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Quote Originally Posted by WireSix View Post
    No, you are talking about your Emerson Power PDU's which do in-line power readings at the PDU level, we do the exact same thing with our Starline Busway, same thing, different device.

What I am referring to is PacketPower, http://www.packet-power.com/, that offers power metering devices that all co-habitate on a mesh wireless RF network and allow for facility wide monitoring without the deployment of a new network fabric. They also have some pretty nifty tools to collect, report, and manage the data you gather.

Talked with their people and got to look at their devices at HostingCon this year, it's definitely neat and if we didn't already have a monitoring solution in place would definitely consider deploying it.
    Does anyone have a contact at packet-power? I sent a message on their site, I haven't heard anything. Looking to see how much this system costs.

Paul Bieganski, Ph.D.
    Founder & President
    Packet Power™
    p: 877-560-8770 x101
    c: 612-382-3121
    f: 877-560-8770
    www.packetpower.com

Denny Leese
    denny@packetpower.com
    952-221-2293