Looking to replace yahoo webhosting

Well i'm going to go straight to the point.

I've been with yahoo webhosting for 3 years now, and i'm fed up with the unreponsive customer service.
    I've been recently prepping my website for an awesome online portfolio, I want to leave users an experience they will never forget, and it's going to be very flash 10 actionscript 3 intensive, and providing 360p(900Kbps), 540p(2Mbps), and 720p(5.5-6.0 Mbps) video.

I myself have a 6Mbps connection and the fastest speed i ever got from downloading (672KB/s).
    I put up some 720p video (heres an example i put up for you guys, this is at (4.8Mbps) silentsleeper.com/portfolio/newportfolio/Untitled-1.php?var1=gridracing720, the fastest speed i measured i can stream this video is at 540KB/s. I thought i was either yahoo or the area that i lived in was the cause, but i really think it's yahoo. I contacted yahoo through email, but out of the 5 emails i sent to them they have ever only responded once.

So now, i want to look for a new web host.

Well, my criterea is simple and should be quite common nowadays.

-Unlimited data space,
    -Unlimited bandwidth,
    -more the a few subdomains,
    -obviously free domain for life, which yahoo has already given me
    -(maybe .htacess, i dont really care). FFmpeg would be nice too, but not neccessary at all.
    -PHP5(yahoo only had up to 4) , all my websites are almost all php and javascript and is not completely without alot of CSS)
    -phpmyadmin with a close up-to-date mysql version
    -of course, a webhost that can provide more than 6Mbps network speed for us to download, and i do hope the upload speed to the webhost is faster than yahoo's 25KB/s
    -Able to access hosted files with php with chmod 775(godaddy was a b*tch about this, so it never worked)
    -And a fact about me. I am obsessed with making my websites super optimized and super fast to load, and i have the greatest tools on both mac and windows to optimize al my jpeg, png images.
    -If you need to see how my websites are like, my most recent website i made for someone else is for the Univeristy of British Columbia, for the model united nations (ubcmun.org)

I guess this all requires the host to host my stuff on a unix server.

If i am missing other details, i will be glad to provide them.

If i can pay less than 10 bucks per month, in which i see JustHost and FatCow are just 4 bucks(i live in canada actually), that would also be nice.

Thank you for reading.

If you want reliable hosting, don't look for unlimited packages. Those that offer both are few and far between (as in reliable unlimited hosting).

Quote Originally Posted by FS - Mike View Post
    If you want reliable hosting, don't look for unlimited packages. Those that offer both are few and far between (as in reliable unlimited hosting).
    well,
    i cant really decide on the the amounts of data space i need, because 720p at at least 6Mbps can be quite big in file size, even if they are all h264 mp4's.
    And of course, my website is for more than just my portfolio.

Anything less than a half a TB could be too little

Right now, fatcow and justhost has caught my attention if it matches my criteria.
    I'm still in univeristy, so ultimately reliable is not needed yet.
    One day, when i do starting making movies and all that....i may need to host my own webserver.
    Last edited by gwklam; 09-08-2009 at 12:48 AM.

If you're going to stream 720P HD videos, perhaps you've outgrown shared hosting. Unlimited does not help, you need to get an idea of how much disk and bandwidth you're actually using, and purchase a quality package to meet those requirements. If you're using a lot of resources you may have to look at a VPS or dedicated server. Hosts that offer unlimited will still suspend you if you use too much resources, since they outline a usage policy in their TOS (as do most providers in general).

You have to be clear with what you need, and come up with a reasonable budget to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by gwklam View Post
    well,

Anything less than a half a TB could be too little
    No host, unlimited or otherwise, will let you use half a TB of disk space for $4/mo. You're looking at a VPS, and a high end one at that, perhaps even a dedicated server.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustHosting View Post
    If you're going to stream 720P HD videos, perhaps you've outgrown shared hosting. Unlimited does not help, you need to get an idea of how much disk and bandwidth you're actually using, and purchase a quality package to meet those requirements. If you're using a lot of resources you may have to look at a VPS or dedicated server. Hosts that offer unlimited will still suspend you if you use too much resources, since they outline a usage policy in their TOS (as do most providers in general).

You have to be clear with what you need, and come up with a reasonable budget to get it.

No host, unlimited or otherwise, will let you use half a TB of disk space for $4/mo. You're looking at a VPS, and a high end one at that, perhaps even a dedicated server.
    How much do you think the justhost will let me use in terms of GB then? right now i have about 50GB on my yahoo space, and if you ask why o only have 50GB, it's because yahoo's upload speed is only 25KB/s....

How much do you think the justhost will let me use in terms of GB then?
    I can't say for sure, but a few GBs or so. At some point they will begin to lose money, and it would not be worth it for them to keep your business. They also do not allow you to stream videos and music from their servers (or pretty much any other resource intensive task).

but in terms of my basic needs..... if i still dont use a bejesus amounts of GB, is yahoo to justhost or fatcow or any other host around those types a nice upgrade?

I can't say for sure, but a few GBs or so. At some point they will begin to lose money, and it would not be worth it for them to keep your business. They also do not allow you to stream videos and music from their servers (or pretty much any other resource intensive task).
    I could have them for a few years until i can get into the movie business, like making pixar but making the more serious type of story with more realism(textures and physics motion) in terms of CG animation(like the upcoming james cameron avatar movie)

but in terms of my basic needs..... if i still dont use a bejesus amounts of GB, is yahoo to justhost or fatcow or any other host around those types a nice upgrade?
    Search for some reviews on those two, though I would advise caution with larger hosts that may lock you in to paying years in advance for the low monthly price they advertise. If you want to stream videos I would recommend you upload them to Youtube or something and embed them, that should significantly reduce your resource needs. You will get the best price if you have a pretty good idea of your needs and actually buy a non-oversold plan that fits them, instead of paying more for an unlimited plan (which if you actually pay monthly and not years in advance, can cost you ~$10/mo, not the $4/mo they advertise on their homepage).

Regardless, to my knowledge few if any shared hosting providers actually will let you do what you want to do, that is stream large videos. If you want just a basic portfolio page, yes JustHost, Fatcow and a million other hosts will fit those needs.

Search for some reviews on those two, though I would advise caution with larger hosts that may lock you in to paying years in advance for the low monthly price they advertise. If you want to stream videos I would recommend you upload them to Youtube or something and embed them, that should significantly reduce your resource needs. You will get the best price if you have a pretty good idea of your needs and actually buy a non-oversold plan that fits them, instead of paying more for an unlimited plan (which if you actually pay monthly and not years in advance, can cost you ~$10/mo, not the $4/mo they advertise on their homepage).

Regardless, to my knowledge few if any shared hosting providers actually will let you do what you want to do, that is stream large videos.
    Youtube HD is too low quality(i am very serious about this(i stare at some frames of the video for irregualrities), and i do have a youtube account so i know how it's like), and my whole online portfolio will be flash, and would rather look odd to embed youtube on something that is already flash.

VPS is too expensive for me, and i;m still in university.10 bucks per month is not so much of a problem, as yahoo is already making me pay 12. Yahoo seems to allow to me have these large videos, but the out speed seems slow at 540KB/s, and the godaddy out speed seems normal as i just made a ubcmun website for ubc.

Actually, there is really only one question i really have, can justhost or fatcow provide a normal outspeed at least 6Mbps? b/c even if i try to research...i get no information on these

Youtube HD is too low quality(i am very serious about this(i stare at some frames of the video for irregualrities), and i do have a youtube account so i know how it's like), and my whole online portfolio will be flash, and would rather look odd to embed youtube on something that is already flash.

VPS is too expensive for me, and i;m still in university.10 bucks per month is not so much of a problem, as yahoo is already making me pay 12. Yahoo seems to allow to me have these large videos, but the out speed seems slow at 540KB/s, and the godaddy out speed seems normal as i just made a ubcmun website for ubc.

Actually, there is really only one question i really have, can justhost or fatcow provide a normal outspeed at least 6Mbps? b/c even if i try to research...i get no information on these
    You will simply have to contact them about this, and outline your situation and see what they say. They should have live support or ticket support, so just submit a ticket, that will give you the most definitive answer. No one here can say for sure what JustHost or FatCow will allow you to do or what their plans are capable of, only they can.

I myself have a 6Mbps connection and the fastest speed i ever got from downloading (672KB/s).

That in general is the MAX your connection can get you. Especially on DSL due to overhead.

Post a AVI, or other downloadable file and I will download it for you on a fast connection and post the results.

Quote Originally Posted by CoishAssociates View Post
    That in general is the MAX your connection can get you. Especially on DSL due to overhead.

Post a AVI, or other downloadable file and I will download it for you on a fast connection and post the results.
    I was going to test it at my university later which has a intenret connection up to like 45Mbps download and upload speed(that is soo bejesus fast)
    but you still want to test, heres one i just uploaded for you. It has a bitrate at 4.62(it was originally at 5.0Mbps but i lowered it b/c i thought it was me instead of yahoo that was slow). remember my connection is a 6Mbps(and fastest i seen my computer download from other sites is 672, while downloading form my own yahoo server is around 540)

I hope you have a good enough resolution to watch a 720p video online. You should have at least 1680x1050 if you want to see the buffering status bar i made(for testing purposes)
    http://silentsleeper.com/portfolio/n...ar1=taeyeon720 (ps, i'm not korean by i like this song for some reason)

or heres the downloadable file: http://silentsleeper.com/portfolio/n...taeyeon720.mp4
    Last edited by gwklam; 09-08-2009 at 01:38 PM.

Standard, shared hosting accounts aren't built for this type of site (unlimited/limited, doesn't matter).

You are going to need a vds/vps/dedicated server or a shared account from host that specializes in streaming video.
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by CoishAssociates View Post

I just found this hostGator, is that good too?

I was going to test it at my university later which has a intenret connection up to like 45Mbps download and upload speed(that is soo bejesus fast)
    but you still want to test, heres one i just uploaded for you. It has a bitrate at 4.62(it was originally at 5.0Mbps but i lowered it b/c i thought it was me instead of yahoo that was slow). remember my connection is a 6Mbps(and fastest i seen my computer download from other sites is 672, while downloading form my own yahoo server is around 540)

I hope you have a good enough resolution to watch a 720p video online. You should have at least 1680x1050 if you want to see the buffering status bar i made(for testing purposes)
    http://silentsleeper.com/portfolio/n...ar1=taeyeon720 (ps, i'm not korean by i like this song for some reason)

or heres the downloadable file: http://silentsleeper.com/portfolio/n...taeyeon720.mp4
    Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Standard, shared hosting accounts aren't built for this type of site (unlimited/limited, doesn't matter).

You are going to need a vds/vps/dedicated server or a shared account from host that specializes in streaming video.
    I'm in no position now to or have that kind money. and it's only going to be a few videos for my portfolio. and my site is more than just a portfolio, and i wont be hosting more videos than what is needed on my portfolio.

gwklam,

You can cross Justhost off your list.

From their Terms Of Service:

Examples of unacceptable material on all Shared servers include:

Offering video and/or audio streaming or downloads, MP3 Files, Games and shareware is also not permitted on any Just Host server.
    Always check the Terms Of Service/Acceptable Use policies of any host you are considering. Many of them forbid such content for the reason that it is basically guaranteed to use heaps of bandwidth (and guaranteed to cause them to lose money on your account).

Quote Originally Posted by db09 View Post
    gwklam,

You can cross Justhost off your list.

From their Terms Of Service:

Always check the Terms Of Service/Acceptable Use policies of any host you are considering. Many of them forbid such content for the reason that it is basically guaranteed to use heaps of bandwidth (and guaranteed to cause them to lose money on your account).
    O, lol. That really sucks. well, theres still hostgator right? i'm reading their terms of service now
    Last edited by gwklam; 09-08-2009 at 05:10 PM.

ok. i gave up on hostgator.

I just found this http://www.hosting24.com/
    and I just found http://www.highspeedweb.net/

Now i know this http://www.highspeedweb.net/ goes against my wishes, then I just I cant use the website as my backup for files. I just bought myself a 1.5TB external harddrive. So, for the http://www.highspeedweb.net/, i wouldnt mind the 5.95 300GB deal. But i am still looking for something that does provide some good network speed, and was wondering if either http://www.highspeedweb.net/ or http://www.hosting24.com/ was good enough for me. have any of you used it before?

You need to look at a more dedicated solution. Unlmiited will not help you and a lot of host's are going to frown upon video streaming downloading etc. You will need to find a host that specializes in this or get your self a dedicated and do it your self.

Bottom line is that video hosting is expensive, period. Hosting HD video is *really* expensive. I can't imagine that any host that you're paying $10/mo to will tolerate you whoring out their resources. They would be losing MASSIVE amounts of money on your account.

If you're serious about hosting high-quality video, then you either need to invest in a quality VPS or dedicated server with enough bandwidth to get you what you need (I would even go so far as to recommend you pay per megabit at 95th percentile), or you need to use some kind of CDN (Content Delivery Network). Neither are particularly cheap options. If you're unwilling/unable to do this, then don't even attempt to host HD video, it's really that simple.
    Joe Cooter - <jcooter(at)sliqua.com>
    Executive Vice President - Sliqua Enterprise Hosting, Inc.
    1-877-4SLIQUA - http://www.sliqua.com - http://www.isyourmissioncritical.com

I dumped yahoo before I got my site up, for the same reason - extremely bad customer service.

ok. i gave up on hostgator.

I just found this http://www.hosting24.com/
    and I just found http://www.highspeedweb.net/

Now i know this http://www.highspeedweb.net/ goes against my wishes, then I just I cant use the website as my backup for files. I just bought myself a 1.5TB external harddrive. So, for the http://www.highspeedweb.net/, i wouldnt mind the 5.95 300GB deal. But i am still looking for something that does provide some good network speed, and was wondering if either http://www.highspeedweb.net/ or http://www.hosting24.com/ was good enough for me. have any of you used it before?
    I highly doubt they will let you use 300GB for $5.95/mo. They would be losing money. Those resources and prices are unrealistic, they oversell. I'm sorry but you must realize this. These guys are expecting people use no more than a couple of GB disk space and a few GB bandwidth at most, which is what the majority of sites fit into. Anything significantly more and you're looking at either a really high price, or a VPS/dedicated server. The reason they advertise 300GB disk space is because the average user compares hosting plans based solely on how much resources are advertised for what low a price, and they're banking on the average user to choose them over a host that offers realistic resources for a realistic price. Same goes for Unlimited hosts.

Average user looks at site A, 2GB Disk, 10GB BW for $2-$3/mo. Looks at site B, 300GB disk, 3TB BW for $5.95/mo. Looks at site C, Unlimited disk, Unlimited BW for $4.95/mo. They choose to go with site C, even when their website will only use ~1GB disk and 5GB BW (still being generous). So they pay more for the exact same resources, just advertised differently.

Then comes along another user that actually needs 300GB disk and 3TB BW, well the hosting company ends up suspending this user under some technicality. Considering the high number of low resource users they can fit into that same 300GB, this user's business is not worth it to them, so they kick him out without a care.

If you need resources, you have to pay for it, there is no other way.
    Last edited by ItsJustHosting; 09-10-2009 at 03:19 PM.

First, thank you for the link. I absolutely love this performance. However, I really don't believe you'll find a reliable host to match your specs and price range. The best to you in your studies and your future.
    ProlimeHost - Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On-site Engineers

You get what you pay for, you can't expect to stream videos at high speeds and use up unlimited bandwidth/space for less then $10.00 a month. Otherwise Youtube would be on a unlimited plan instead of wasting so much money.

Unlimited/unmetered plans are good for average web sites.