Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Game Server Company

Hello,

I have been thinking about starting a game server company. (Or I'm just to curious) Lets say I would be willing to invest $3 grand.

Other then servers and WHMCS (Unless theres a better billing software more towards game servers) and a website what else should I get?

Game Server Control Panels (Suggestions on one?)
    Servers
    Website

I'm sure theres a whole bunch more stuff to get .. any detailed suggestions and what else to get?

Thanks,
    Alex

Depends what OS you want your game servers to operate on. TCAdmin is the most used (and maybe the only one?) for Windows Server 2003/2008 and it has integration with WHMCS, making ordering and setting up a server easy.

For Linux there are several, such as Swiftpanel, or GameCp.

It also depends on whether you would like to build your own servers or rent. The 3 grand budget might only get you 1 or 2 servers if you built it, but monthly fees would be lower in the long run.

Once you start growing, don't forget to hire support staff, so clients can get answers quick.

Hmm, I don't agree with easygameservers about renting being cheaper in the long run. Depending on the spec of the server you build, it would definately be cheaper to purchase, build and co-locate a machine. I would then go with CentOS and run SwiftPanel on the machine. It would be the perfect setup for most game servers and the upcoming 2.0 will be an all-in-one solution so it will minimise your costs and maximise potential

Bret
    NetHosted Ltd. - UK Based Web Hosting
    Like us on Facebook!

I would have to say if you have $3k to invest in it, invest in a decent website, invest in your own dedicated servers do not rent since in the long run renting will end up costing you way more. as for your server software, linux is free but if you do not know how to work it dont use it. panel depends on what you choose as an OS since there are different panels for both linux and windows our there (TCAdmin, GameCP, SwiftPanel etc etc) and also make sure you invest in marketing to bring in your traffic. SEO will be a + and buying site hits through google yahoo and msn/bing will also do you well, even if a small package. And start off small dont go big at once for it can break you overnight, always have a budget and make sure you have cash to stay up for a couple of months since you do not get big on your first month up
    Licensewolf - Coming Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Bret - dediShack View Post
    Hmm, I don't agree with easygameservers about renting being cheaper in the long run. Depending on the spec of the server you build, it would definately be cheaper to purchase, build and co-locate a machine. I would then go with CentOS and run SwiftPanel on the machine. It would be the perfect setup for most game servers and the upcoming 2.0 will be an all-in-one solution so it will minimise your costs and maximise potential

Bret
    I didn't say renting is cheaper in the long run. I said building servers would lower your monthly costs over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Depeche View Post
    Hello,

I have been thinking about starting a game server company. (Or I'm just to curious) Lets say I would be willing to invest $3 grand.

Other then servers and WHMCS (Unless theres a better billing software more towards game servers) and a website what else should I get?

Game Server Control Panels (Suggestions on one?)
    Servers
    Website

I'm sure theres a whole bunch more stuff to get .. any detailed suggestions and what else to get?

Thanks,
    Alex
    3k isn't that bad to start with at all. You'd need a few servers spanned across the US (Chicago is a great place to start), a website (obviously), a control panel (TCAdmin is widely used throughout the industry and flawless if you have a windows-based machine).

A good resource for you would be GSPTruth.com, it's a big game-server industry hangout. I'm sure they'd answer your questions well (and you'd see me over there too!).

If you'd like further advise I'll be glad to chat with you over IM.

I wouldn't waste your time starting any sort of company with a $3000 budget. I wouldn't even tempt to get into the game server market without a $10,000+ budget but that is my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by XFactorServers View Post
    I wouldn't waste your time starting any sort of company with a $3000 budget. I wouldn't even tempt to get into the game server market without a $10,000+ budget but that is my 2 cents.
    Though a different industry, Hostgator started with just three servers and is now an industry leader for hosting. Starting with a small budget can yield success, it just matters who's at the helm.

Quote Originally Posted by influx07 View Post
    Though a different industry, Hostgator started with just three servers and is now an industry leader for hosting. Starting with a small budget can yield success, it just matters who's at the helm.
    I applaud this
    Licensewolf - Coming Soon!

Well really I have a nice nehalem server with 12 GBs of memory. And a website, WHMCS and swiftpanel. So now I have $3,000 left .. so I'm thinking what to do with that to make this better.

Well really I have a nice nehalem server with 12 GBs of memory. And a website, WHMCS and swiftpanel. So now I have $3,000 left .. so I'm thinking what to do with that to make this better.
    hire 1 or 2 support members? or you could even build another server and colocate it in a different location, for example if you put your current server in chicago, you could move to another popular location such as dallas/new york.

Thats a good idea. So maybe a second server colocate that somewhere else then start? I should at least get a little bit of income from the game server business before doing anything more correct?

Thats a good idea. So maybe a second server colocate that somewhere else then start? I should at least get a little bit of income from the game server business before doing anything more correct?
    Yes to the second question. Theres always the chance something could go wrong or you could just not like hosting game servers, and you would have wasted a lot of money (Not saying this will happen, just saying you should be prepared for anything in this market)

Good luck with everything
    EQHosting - Experience the Difference
    Web Hosting - Game Servers - Ventrilo Servers - Dedicated Servers
    █ 24/7 Support - Instant Setup - 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    EQHosting.com - Twitter

I suggest taking your time growing. A lot of guys try to start their own gameserver companies and get too overzealous about growth and collapse under their own success. Slow and steady.

Long story short, when starting set goals for how long you can exist rather than how big you can get; with time comes size.
    Michael G ★ Sharktech - DDOS Protected Servers ★ 20 years in business
    Bare Metal Dedicated Servers ★ Public and Private Cloud ★ Colocation ★ VPS ★ DDOS Protection ★ IP Transit
    Amsterdam ★ Chicago ★ Denver ★ Los Angeles

If you already have the server, hold onto that money until you need it. Like Mike said, one of the biggest mistakes is trying to start too big. Starting a GSP is not a get rich quick scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Game Servers View Post
    If you already have the server, hold onto that money until you need it. Like Mike said, one of the biggest mistakes is trying to start too big. Starting a GSP is not a get rich quick scheme.
    It's just like any other company. Build a business model - it doesn't matter what you're selling, every company needs a business model and it needs to be executed correctly over time.

You see lots of GSPs start and die everyday - people do think it's a get rich scheme and will put 10 locations online at one time to try to keep up with Gameservers dot com.

Take it slow, do it smart As I said before, good luck with everything.
    EQHosting - Experience the Difference
    Web Hosting - Game Servers - Ventrilo Servers - Dedicated Servers
    █ 24/7 Support - Instant Setup - 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    EQHosting.com - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by EQHosting View Post
    It's just like any other company. Build a business model - it doesn't matter what you're selling, every company needs a business model and it needs to be executed correctly over time.

You see lots of GSPs start and die everyday - people do think it's a get rich scheme and will put 10 locations online at one time to try to keep up with Gameservers dot com.

Take it slow, do it smart As I said before, good luck with everything.
    Agreed. If you really do want to add another server, you could put it in the same location as your other one, that way you are not spreading yourself out over too many locations and end up having to manage too many things in different places starting out.

As far as the build vs. rent argument. Are we talking about renting servers or leasing them? Leasing servers can be a very good way to start a hosting company, or make any significant expansion. Yes, you pay a price for deferring the cost of the server out over X years, but it also gives you a fixed monthly expense. You know that your big expenses are going to stay relatively static, which lets you view profit and loss on a monthly basis, which is a lot easier for most people who aren't familiar with accounting. Just make sure that you don't go into debt trying to start your business unless you're really committed to sticking with it long-term (most businesses don't become profitable until well after a year of operation - the more money you spend initially, the more time it takes).
    Joe Cooter - <jcooter(at)sliqua.com>
    Executive Vice President - Sliqua Enterprise Hosting, Inc.
    1-877-4SLIQUA - http://www.sliqua.com - http://www.isyourmissioncritical.com

I would suggest Clientexec + TCADMIN solution. there are many integrated/automated API features there.

WHMCS + TCAdmin + Kayako Support Suite is the best setup imo.

Quote Originally Posted by XFactorServers View Post
    WHMCS + TCAdmin + Kayako Support Suite is the best setup imo.
    I like your style.
    Charles @ Nexeon Technologies - Have a question? PM or email me directly! - c[@]nexeon.com
    InstantDedis.com - Instantly delivered dedicated servers located in Chicago, New York, and more

Quote Originally Posted by neXeon View Post
    I like your style.
    I honestly feel , you are 100% making the wrong choice if you don't go with the above 3. TCAdmin is by FAR the best game panel out there for windows , WHMCS is better then client exec in every ascpect and Kayako with the live chat and support desk is amazing as well as a few addon products such as instant alert etc.

This is also coming from someone that has used multiple products such as client exec , modern billing , swift panel , gamecp etc.

I too over the years have dealt with many different panels & billing systems.

I too would DEFINATLY recommend WHMCS + TcAdmin + Kayako, i have used all three and currently do to this day.

I have used many different panels though, clientexec, modernbill v4, modernbill v5, ihost or whatever it is, nothing compares to WHMCS and all the automation options possible with WHMCS + TcAdmin.
    "Unix is simple. It just takes a genius to understand its simplicity." – Dennis Ritchie

Can i piggy back on this Question

Ok So you got the hardware and you need to buy more servers but what about bandwith..I mean how much to put the servers into a data center and what type of banwidth are you going to need.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast