..something i noticed.

I guess these are some odd marketing ideas, maybe you see it the same way i do, maybe not.

many vps providers advertise what hardware they use for vps host nodes, and this is all alright, but it usually looks like this:

"Our vps servers are powered by high quality hardware, Intel Quad Xeon, 32GB RAM and RAID10 disk array"

here's the deal. as far as CPU is concerned there's not much info said in these advertisements, but it is likely certain that you'll see amount of host server RAM, also disk type info is missing here, we see it's RAID* array, but we don't see what kind of disks are used exactly.

it seems like more RAM host server have, the powerfull the server is? not exactly.
    RAM is probably the last thing that customer needs to worry about since vps will be with allocated RAM usage, so it does not matter if server have 4 or 44GB of RAM.

actually higher amount of RAM on the host server usually makes overselling easier to hosting provider, since they are able to put more vps containers and therefore make hard disk usage more saturated resulting in bad vps container performance, as the disk is usually a bottleneck at vps host servers (but there's same concern about CPU allocation aswell).

so at my opinion proper advertising should also include cpu type and disk type as more important information rather than only amount of ram (frankly that's pretty useless info).

i wonder, what are your thoughts about this?

thanks.
    Last edited by xtrac568; 08-22-2009 at 06:55 PM.

Most VPS hosts, like you stated, overlook the disk IO. Most hosts, even large hosts, use SATA drives instead of SCSI/SaS drives just because of the cost of SCSI/SaS drives. Rather they'll use 8 SATAs, which is a cost savings in the end and has just as much IO capability as 4x SCSI/SaS.
    Jacob Wall

Quote Originally Posted by xtrac568 View Post
    so at my opinion proper advertising should also include cpu type and disk type as more important information rather than only amount of ram (frankly that's pretty useless info).
    Agreed, except... <cynic>The cheapest way to sell VPS is to cram huge numbers of guests into a host machine with loads of memory and relatively low-grade disks. Suppose this is the product you're selling. The purpose of advertising is to sell your product, so you emphasise the positive and ignore the negative. How else would you advertise it?</cynic>
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    Agreed, except... <cynic>The cheapest way to sell VPS is to cram huge numbers of guests into a host machine with loads of memory and relatively low-grade disks. Suppose this is the product you're selling. The purpose of advertising is to sell your product, so you emphasise the positive and ignore the negative. How else would you advertise it?</cynic>
    That's what i'm seeing as funny on some level, should that be an positive feature, or just something that gives an idea on amount of hosted VPSs. Might be a positive for less-experienced or a negative/useless info to more knowledgeable customers