Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need a UK Host ASAP

Hello

I'm looking for a good reliable (and cheap) UK hosting company - I need CPanel for Wordpress.

Someone mentioned PixelBite, but i'd just like to see if anyone else has any better suggestions before I go ahead with this...

Thank you

Do you have a budget? Bandwidth & disk space?? The more information you post, the more we can help =]
    Garbott Ltd - Exceptional web development, hosting & consultancy services

I've never heard of PixelBite myself they appear to be a reseller of thewebhostserver.com apparently.

Most UK web hosts including us offer cPanel that has auto installers for WordPress (Such as Fantastico) it depends on your budget really.
    ►► Magmahost ►► Professional & Affordable Shared, Reseller Services.
    »» Performance, Reliability, Stability. Your data is safe with us.
    »» 99.9 Uptime | Extremely Secure | 24/7 Support | LiteSpeed
    ★ Hosting anyone can afford. ★ UK AND USA SERVERS

Quote Originally Posted by MH-Andy View Post
    I've never heard of PixelBite myself they appear to be a reseller of thewebhostserver.com apparently.

Most UK web hosts including us offer cPanel that has auto installers for WordPress (Such as Fantastico) it depends on your budget really.
    no budget really - I just need something reliable (although I don't want to pay astronomical amounts)

Try Heart Internet. They have good service and I havent had any down time this year. Plus they have reasonable pricing and auto install software including Wordpress (I think).
    Garbott Ltd - Exceptional web development, hosting & consultancy services

what about 5quid host? they seem to have excellent reviews

If you just need a host for a wordpress blog you could get away with a US host as well, and that can open up a lot of selection and pricing ranges.

As a matter of interest, IJH.

You say "get away with a US host". This implies there are potential disadvantages for, say, UK users hosting in the US. I have a personal interest in knowing what these disadvantages might be?

Regards, Newroad

Well for one the 100-150ms ping increase depending on east coast or west coast US, and much much slower download/upload speeds to US.

Also UK seems to be closer to most Asian countries although I cannot comment on the quality of the international links.
    Last edited by Scientist; 08-21-2009 at 03:37 PM.

Is this an established blog or a new blog? do you have a budget in mind? pay monthly or annually?

So, Zsev.

I take it you would then recommend locating where your main site users are (rather than where you are, if different)?

Or have I missed the point?

Regards, Newroad

Quote Originally Posted by GeekSRV View Post
    Is this an established blog or a new blog? do you have a budget in mind? pay monthly or annually?
    just starting out - it'll be business based (no sales, just advice)

I'm sure there are other factors to consider but I would pick a location that is best for both myself and my visitors. It'd be a compromise if your visitors are location elsewhere.

ItsJustHosting probably meant to say that US has excellent global connectivity so it wouldn't too different from hosting in the UK for a blog website.

For the OP, no personal experience but the big UK names seem to be UK2 and tsohost

Well I was giving my personal opinion on PixelBite.co.uk .. I've been with a LOT of hosts in the past 7 years on WHT and have been let down constantly.

So far with PixelBite everything's been amazing. It was just a suggestion, you can of course look at other hosts although my point of view is as an end-user (where it matters).

With me I needed fast connections to the server to make changes etc. FTP is very quick, as is HTTP and SMTP connections no matter which time I use it. I've had no issues with my customers from all over the world who access the site either - they've said it's been quick to load and there's been no downtime.

Good luck with finding a host, although I do recommend that you consider my recommendation on who to go with. Here's a link to the review I gave.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=882176

Cheers,

Alan-Paul.
    DesignBear.com
    View Portfolio

A trusted WHT member for over 7 years!

Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustHosting View Post
    If you just need a host for a wordpress blog you could get away with a US host as well, and that can open up a lot of selection and pricing ranges.
    If your targetting the UK then you need to really be hosted within the UK for a) speed and b) UK IP's for SEO.

Thanks for the above post, Paul.

And not to answer on behalf of IJH. I note howeveer that my interest is not restricted to targetting one county, that is less of a consideration for me than some. I suppose in time I could look at traffic and maybe make a different geographic decision on hosting at that point in time.

Regards, Newroad

There are plenty of hosts out there that offer wordpress installations on their servers. You should probably go with a host that offers cpanel and fantastico so that their shared servers are economical from your point of budget and fantastico makes things simple and easy to install and configure applications such as wordpress.

Have a look at EZPZhosting.co.uk . I've been with them for over half a year now, and highly recommend them. Site for verification - pleasurefishing.com.

The offer Fantastico and Installatron for installing scripts such as Wordpress. Installatron in my opinion is much better than Fantastico, as updates to scripts are available much quicker, which can be important for security. Not only that all the scripts I have tried with Installatron work.

I would make a shortlist of hosts that you are interested in and then fire some questions at them, maybe ask for a trial and see what happens.
    MegaHost UK
    SSD Autoscaling Cloud Hosting
    Linux, Windows and WordPress Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting | VOIP |

Quote Originally Posted by fishforcarp View Post
    Have a look at EZPZhosting.co.uk . I've been with them for over half a year now, and highly recommend them. Site for verification - pleasurefishing.com.

The offer Fantastico and Installatron for installing scripts such as Wordpress. Installatron in my opinion is much better than Fantastico, as updates to scripts are available much quicker, which can be important for security. Not only that all the scripts I have tried with Installatron work.
    hmm...they transfer all of your website for free? how does that work - soudns good

Quote Originally Posted by fishforcarp View Post

Thanks for the recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by DomainProblem
    hmm...they transfer all of your website for free? how does that work - soudns good
    If you have an existing cPanel account we can transfer everything over for you including the website, databases, email accounts etc. If you're using another control panel we can transfer the website and MySQL databases.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_EZPZ View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation

If you have an existing cPanel account we can transfer everything over for you including the website, databases, email accounts etc. If you're using another control panel we can transfer the website and MySQL databases.
    and my domain which is registered with 123-reg, i just point it over to your server..right?

the host i'm on at the moment (justhost) used a CPanel - so you can just transfer all of this if I join?

how quick would this take?

Yes to both questions. Transfers are done immediately.

If you have any other questions, please contact us through our website as I'll probably get told off in a minute by WHT

now a member of EZPZ - Dan was a great help, and has transferred everything over

just a case of waiting for the domain to propergate then i'm set

i'll do a review in a couple of months to tell you how my experience was

Quote Originally Posted by Abbie View Post
    There are plenty of hosts out there that offer wordpress installations on their servers. You should probably go with a host that offers cpanel and fantastico so that their shared servers are economical from your point of budget and fantastico makes things simple and easy to install and configure applications such as wordpress.
    Does your hosting provides these features, as i am looking for windows based host in Europe and have difficulty finalising. Till now did not get a good reciewed host in Europe which was windows based and supports fantastico.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast