City with Lowest Pings ..

Hello.

I was just wondering and checking from a few days for a USA city/state that provides the lowest pings possible to Europe and Asia .

I have Asian and Europian servers both, So In my practical experience I have seen New York ( Albania ) providing the lowest pings . Also I have seen VA ( Sterling ) giving almost the same ping.

So I wonder if Washington is also the same ?
    And what abt others countries below Europe, Japan and Australia.
    Where do they get the lowest ping ?

Some cities even being nearer to the 1 giving low pings give us high pings.
    Maybe because of another loop .

So what could be the best location in US ping wise ?

Also if I can have some test IP of Washington.
    Last edited by AsadMoeen; 08-21-2009 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Update

For Asia I would look for servers on the westcoast like in Los Angeles.

Quote Originally Posted by AHN-Jay View Post
    For Asia I would look for servers on the westcoast like in Los Angeles.
    But that's too far away .
    Like some Asian countries connect to USA through Europe.

So East Coast should be better ?

Los Angeles is closer to Asia, than USA East Coast.

Definitely LA would be best for you, so if it's VPS you are after, I'd check out Steadcom.com

From Europe to east coast you can look for NY, NJ, which are in general just a bit faster as Washington DC; although WDC is a good option as well.

From Asia is a bit harder; i can only tell you my experience where i found that Malaysian broadband connections in general had faster access to european servers as to US based servers. (tested from multiple providers and times) but Asia is quite a bit bigger as just this one country.

If these speeds are very important to you, and your content allows it you may want to look into CDN's to serve i.e. your css, images, js ; which is often the main part of the site. This would load these from the location nearest to the visitor, and only pulling the main dynamic part (db access, php scripts etc) from the main server account.

Of course there are also other ways to improve speeds for customers; depending on budget
    » cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    »
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

If you going to Asia, Los Angeles has the best routes there. For Europe I'd check for providers located in New York.
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud | YardVPS - Storage VPS
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    6 Continents - 14 Cities - LAX, DAL, CHI, ASH, LON, AMS, JNB, TPE, TKY, BOM, GRU, BCN, SIN, SYD, ICN, MOS

The pricing depends very much of the quality of the network and of the costs web hosts pay for infrastructure solutions. So I would suggest you to focus in getting a service in any area where the business costs are lower than average for the industry. California is not probably the best place to search for cheap bandwidth. When it comes to lowest ping, it depends of the network connectivity and the bandwidth providers. I would suggest you to find out who has better connectivity to the above mentioned regions. NTT for example is a very good choice for Asia. Tinet (Tiscali) is a good option to have a good connection to Europe...
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

Boston and Miami are considered by most the two largest hubs on the US East Coast, best serving users in Europe, the Mediterranean and possibly part of the Middle East. Looking west, as mentioned LA generally is tops, but I've personally had just as good of response times from Seattle and Vancouver, BC as well to different parts of S and SE Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by AsadMoeen View Post
    But that's too far away .
    Like some Asian countries connect to USA through Europe.
    Please name these countries!

Believe me, nearly all Asian countries are connected to USA, and it wont go by Europe. In fact, it's most of the time the opposite way (unfortunately): Asian countries are connecting to Europe through USA.

It's very sad, but most of internet traffic goes by USA whatever the country you are in. I read that 37% of the internet traffic of the world is going by California...

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

FYI: from data center to data center, paris <-> tampa is about 100ms at best, 140 at worst.

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

Well .

I am going to USA through Europe from Pakistan.
    And I have the lowest pings in New York .

I also got a Europian Netherlands based server.

And that gets the same low pings in Washington and New York both.

But what abt Countries like Australia, Japan,Southern Europe and South America ?

And by Washington,

I mean Washington City located in the East Coast.
    Not the Washington state on the North West .

Quote Originally Posted by gplhost View Post
    Please name these countries!

Believe me, nearly all Asian countries are connected to USA, and it wont go by Europe. In fact, it's most of the time the opposite way (unfortunately): Asian countries are connecting to Europe through USA.

It's very sad, but most of internet traffic goes by USA whatever the country you are in. I read that 37% of the internet traffic of the world is going by California...

Thomas
    I have tested from Malaysia, and almost all traffic to europe; goes directly to europe and not towards the US. How i know; simply the latency to europe is far lower as towards the US. (not that strange, the distance to europe is quickly 1000 to 2000 miles shorter as to the US.

One little disclaimer; this test was done in May 2008; routing may change over time; although our customers experience is still the same and they prefer it over the US.

Did you know that the 3 largest Internet exchanges are not even in the US ? so that 37% isnt to high at all

If your server is in Netherlands you should be fine and should have good connection to North America, but let me say it again the location is not that important. It is important who you are connected with. So you'd better try to find how to have a good network or at least try to find who provides bandwidth to your web host.
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone