Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Do I need VPS or Shared?

Hi,

I'm planning to start a website similar to http://otslist.eu/ basically it uses fsockopen() to ping hundreds of other servers every 5 minutes and stores statistics inside mySQL.

My question is, will shared hosting be suffice or do I really need a VPS?

Thanks.

You would probably be better off with a VPS.

How much RAM do you think it will use?

pings hundreds of servers - I'll assume every 5 minutes it'll require a good amount of ram. If you can get info on how much ram you need then you'd have an easier time deciding - if the number is pretty high and it seems as if you need dedicated RAM then jump on a VPS without having to worry about overloading the entire server (unless your script uses a lot of cpu as well)

Hi,

I would suggest you to go for VPS server. You will be able to install anything you need on your VPS.

A vps might be best to start with.
    Fully customized hosting to your specific needs, no general plans found here!
    'Read before you click I agree' - J

Why not shared though?

I don't think shared hosting will be stable enough to handle so much resource usage. Unless your shared host is a very very very kind company, you'll probably be suspended for too much resource usage.

Any VPS recommendations? Budget $1 - 5.

i would agree, maybe shared or a reseller would be decent if you with a host that offers a very high end web server box, and have decent pricing. other then that just the extra you get overall with a vps i would recommend a vps as well. , if going vps i highly recommend, www.xygenhosting.com seriousness very professioanal and superior team, and stability. Best of luck with your overall choice!
    http://www.caperhosting.net - web/shells/ircd/shoutcast hosting!
    Live Chat sales/support on website
    WHMCS billing system and client login
    CaperHosting.net We care about everyone!

I'm not sure if you can get a VPS for only $1-5. I own a VPS that has 15GB space and 150 GB bandwidth and it's costing me $15/month.

Well, I think it would be difficult for you to find the VPS with the budget you are expecting. You can expect a cheap VPS upto $10 per month. Check out the VPS offers sections of the forums you will get there.
    SUPPORT FACILITY | 24/7 TECH SUPPORT
    SERVER MANAGEMENT | WEB HOSTING SUPPORT | WP EXPERTS

Since each VPS has guaranteed hardware resources it should always outperform a Shared/Reseller service providing that your VPS has enough resources assigned for what you want it to do- i.e. if you run out of memory then you'd have worse performance than a Shared/Reseller service.
    Do some research on a few providers (e.g. speak to sales or support, check out reviews) and start out with paying monthly to check out the company before paying to far ahead.

For your RAM usage, I'd recommend a VPS. It would be unfair to host such a website on a shared server whereby you'd probably be encroaching on others' resources. As well, I feel the full control of a VPS would suit you. With shared, you're almost blind to total resource and availability of the hardware.

I've been very happy with VPS over shared...although dedicated or colo has always been the best...VPS is the next best thing.

I'm with the other recommendations, hit up a VPS over shared.

Any recommendations?

I agree that you're in need of VPS.
    I'm not sure that you'll find something reliable in your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedOT View Post
    Somehow I missed this part, this budget is hardly enough for the lowest of the low shared hosting offers.

I suggest you to use VPS because it will spend many resources. You can get your own virtual environment with dedicated amount of server resources for your own usage.I'm not sure you can get a VPS with $1-5 because it's more expensive than shared

I guess You Should Take VPS

I'm looking for unmanaged VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedOT View Post
    Might want to work on it, $15 is usually what most VPSes start at.
    Nothing here right now.

I found AccurateHubs for only $5.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast