* Need a host w/ 99.9% uptime who is FAST!

I am currently considering a move to a new host due to my current host going down almost every other day. I have been trying to start a new forum and this constant downtime looks really bad to my users and causes me to lose potential members.

SPEED and UPTIME are most important! I am tired of my sites always becoming slow or going down. It's time for a change.

A good reputation is next on the list. I don't want a six-month old hosting company who won't be around three months from now. I want a hosting company who has been around for at least two years and has a solid reputation for speed and uptime.

I need cPanel, at least 2GB storage and 20GB bandwidth per month for around $10/month, as well as the option to upgrade these amounts at a later date when the site grows. I also need at least 10-20 addon domains.

Please point me in the right direction so that I can avoid further headaches.

Thanks.

First off, welcome to WHT

Have you checked out the shared offers forum? Your budget seems reasonable but uptime is never really guaranteed. There will either be slight catches behind it or if the company offers a SLA for any unexpected downtime. Network maintenances, server issues, there are many factors that can caused predetermined downtime or unexpected downtime. The thing you'll be looking for is how often these companies have such occurances and how they deal promptly they're dealt with.

Anyway, in terms of budget and requirements, you're on the right track. As for the uptime requirement, it may be a bit difficult but it's always possible so good luck!

Hello, check web hosting talk shared hosting offers, I am sure you will find fast host there

Quote Originally Posted by Jed K View Post

SPEED and UPTIME are most important! I am tired of my sites always becoming slow or going down. It's time for a change.

I need cPanel, at least 2GB storage and 20GB bandwidth per month for around $10/month, as well as the option to upgrade these amounts at a later date when the site grows. I also need at least 10-20 addon domains.

Thanks.
    Your budget seems to be fair for the needs you have, you should be able to find a good company offering you the above on a non oversold fast server. As everything in life you get where you payed for, as many tend to forget

For further headaches i advise to take an aspirin when you feel one coming

As some already pointed out; it is advisable to look at the offer section, but do not forget to make a short-list and check some reviews for those companies you are interested in; and last but not least contact them and see how they can advise you and how they can help you grow without to much pains.

I am currently considering a move to a new host due to my current host going down almost every other day. I have been trying to start a new forum and this constant downtime looks really bad to my users and causes me to lose potential members.
    Sorry to hear about the constant downtime here, Could I ask who your currently hosting with. You do not need to provide (optional).

Have you contacted your webhost to see if they could place you on another server to see if the same issues occur? - I found this porblem on a Webhost in the past that jam-packed their initial shared server with 500+ clients

A good reputation is next on the list. I don't want a six-month old hosting company who won't be around three months from now. I want a hosting company who has been around for at least two years and has a solid reputation for speed and uptime.
    There are quite a few of these long lasting webhosts, However, There are plenty that are hitting the market everyday. To mention it I have seen quite a few newbies hit the market (I would say a year is quite new).

Do some research into some hosts that you can find in the Shared Hosting Offers Section, Reasons why I chose shared will be explained more shortly.

This is quite a common requirement, Many webhosts will allow this with your website/forum. I would personally recommend a Shared Webhost with those requirements though can I ask how big is your fourm?

How many members?
    How many active members online at one time?
    What's the highest ever online?

I cannot point to a host that I have had experience in that I can recommend that has been in business for 2 years

Thanks.
    Cheers, Sean!
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

Who's your current host? have you contacted them to find out what is causing the problems?

Those are pretty important to most people

Maybe take a look at these:

http://www.ukwsd.com/
    http://dotable.com/
    http://www.tsohost.co.uk/

I've used the above providers and never had issues with them.

I've recommended 2 UK hosts above, do you actually have a preference on location?

Thanks.
    Good Luck in your hunt

Depending on when you used dotable I do know that it is now under new management/control so things may have changed.

Not putting dotable down, just pointing this out in case it has been a while since you actually used them
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Speed will be different for different location. You need to know where is your customer mainly from.

A couple of hosts I would recommend checking out are HawkHost and Wirenine.

Good luck!

Dave

where are you located? or even more important, from where are mostly your visitors coming from?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Hi,
    Most web host promise 99.9% uptime but it is never guaranteed. I am using Dreamhost and it is the first and only web host I have ever used. So far so good. Their support is fast.

you don't get many people with spec/budget requirements like that - need more of those

Quote Originally Posted by forumplace View Post
    Hi,
    Most web host promise 99.9% uptime but it is never guaranteed.
    most will promise a 99.9% network uptime which usually doesn't include scheduled maintenance and if the host can keep it up 99.9% of the time and leaving scheduled maintenance aside then they can definitely do 99.9% for the entire network or even for a single server, it really depends on how the host handles things.

and the OP shouldn't have a hard time finding something reliable with that budget.

I hate to inform you, but you have a lot of work ahead trying to make a sound decision. There are countless providers that promise 99.9% uptime. Many actually keep their promise, some don't. However there is generally no shortage of legit reviews here at WHT.

Thanks.
    Personally, your budget is fine. I don't think you'd have a problem finding something that fits. I also think that you'll be fine with the add-on domains.

Since uptime is important, I would look for a host who makes their uptime statistics available to the public. For example, some hosts use Pingdom and Hyperspin, and I would trust their reports.

Like IGXhost said, uptime is never perfect, and can't always be guaranteed, but I would go with the track record of the host. If they've had good uptime, I would check them out.
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

Quote Originally Posted by forumplace View Post
    Hi,
    Most web host promise 99.9% uptime but it is never guaranteed. I am using Dreamhost and it is the first and only web host I have ever used. So far so good. Their support is fast.
    I always wondered, doesn't Dreamhost charge $49.95 as a setup fee for those who wish to pay monthly?

Despite some grievances here and there, hostgator is pretty decent for personal or small business needs and is very affordable. Overall their uptime has been pretty solid. I only had 1 unannounced downtime incident in the last year that I knew of, although it was a pretty bad one (no communication from the company the whole time) it only lasted about an hour or so, so I guess that's not too bad. I wouldn't recommend them for any mission critical or high traffic sites though, but if you are running that kind of site I probably wouldn't recommend a shared hosting plan at all.

HostGator would be alright, if you pay a year in advance then you can get a pretty good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustHosting View Post
    I always wondered, doesn't Dreamhost charge $49.95 as a setup fee for those who wish to pay monthly?
    Ouch! yes apparently.

How much?

* $10.95/mo monthly, $0.00 off first payment; $9.95/mo for 1 year, $0.00 off first payment; $8.95/mo for 2 years, $0.00 off first payment; $49.95 set up fee if you pay monthly.
    Right at the bottom of the hosting page.

Overall their uptime has been pretty solid. I only had 1 unannounced downtime incident in the last year that I knew of, although it was a pretty bad one (no communication from the company the whole time) it only lasted about an hour or so
    Overall I would say that's what my experience with them looks like as well. About 1 downtime per year that could be seen as more serious (1-2 hours). Otherwise it's just a few minutes here and there, probably as a result of a reboot.