Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does Domain Name Age Matter For SEO?

Off the bat I am going to say yes as we had 2 x domain names which were both 7 and 3 years old respectively.

The 7 year domain name hadn't actually been used for webhosting and the 3 year one had been running for the 3 years advertising our products. I fired up the 7 year domain name with exactly the same content as the 3 year. To my surprise the 7 year domain name hopped right over the 3 year in keyword rankings. Basically for every keyword the 7 year got to the 1,2 or 3 page. The 3 year was lagging in all categories.

I stipulate that the 7 year had no backlinks and the only thing done to the site was some SEO for keywords etc. The 3 year site got the same SEO upgdate treatment.

So I would have to say that age plays a big role in keyword ranking. So with this in mind I wanted to know how to obtain an existing domain name without it losing its age? Is the only way to buy the domain directly from the owner? If the domain expires it loses its age too?
      0 Not allowed!

Without a lot more information I would say that this judgment is a huge leap of reasoning if only based on the facts presented.
    I plan to live forever - so far so good
    Expert SEO |Sash Windows London
      0 Not allowed!

2 idential websites. One aged 7 years. The other aged 3 years. Both targeted to the same reason. One without any backlinks. The other probably had a hundred or so backlinks.

What else do you need?
      0 Not allowed!

Are you still in the honeymoon stage with the second site? Did you do a 301 direct to the new site? If they are in fact identical you can expect the new site to drop its ranking severely soon.

Or if you are getting "Honeymoon Rankings" they may drop soon too.

How long has the new site been up.

On the face of it a new site with no backlinks should not even be indexed by Google and as for it ranking on webhosting terms with no links...... If thats the case then its nothing short of a miracle.
      0 Not allowed!

The miracle of Festivus? (Seinfeld joke)
      0 Not allowed!

Of course I could just be a genius at SEO . On one very competitive keyword phrase (australian colocation) we ranked around 3rd! and some keyword phrases are hitting 1st place.

I also noticed that for companies like m6.net (domain name age 11+ years) that they rank 1st place in most windows host searches - but how many people have heard of m6.net?
      0 Not allowed!

Can't see it. Maturity is undoubtedly a factor but its not a cure all and has to taken into account with everything else that makes up for a basket of results.
      0 Not allowed!

So I would have to say that age plays a big role in keyword ranking. So with this in mind I wanted to know how to obtain an existing domain name without it losing its age? Is the only way to buy the domain directly from the owner? If the domain expires it loses its age too?
    Your thoughts are correct.... Age playing very important role in SEO... Only the ways is buy aged domain from the owner or some registrar or trading site selling it....
      0 Not allowed!

I would like to say age do play a very important role in SEO, but this effect is from backlink's domain, not on your own sites.
      0 Not allowed!

i heard that domian age is a key issue in BING
    and as we all know Google indeed vaulue it
      0 Not allowed!

I think the age matters but if you are good in providing the relevent and updated content to your users, then possibility that search engine will take its as the plus point over less age.
    SUPPORT FACILITY | 24/7 TECH SUPPORT
    SERVER MANAGEMENT | WEB HOSTING SUPPORT | WP EXPERTS
      0 Not allowed!

G indeed values domain age but it still the website under that domain matters
      0 Not allowed!

To address your questions: there are more possibilities to get an old domain name. You can backorder any existing domain and hope the current owner looses interest in keeping it in time.

The domain looses its age once it drops from the registry.
      0 Not allowed!

Does backordering preserve the domain's age?
      0 Not allowed!

In one word 'Yes'.

However it would be silly to think that doing one or two or even just few things right would be the ideal SEO.

However coming back to discussion, it is always a good idea to check all the possible points that help in SEO and follow through.
    Software Devil
      0 Not allowed!

No domain is ever going to rank for key words of any value without back links. And anyone can get a three month old site to rank using back links. So whilst age and maturity is one of many factors taken into account, try to understand that Google works with and indexes pages rather than domains. The age of the domain is no big deal in the scale of things.

The age of a link that points to your site is what you should be loooking at.
      0 Not allowed!

I suggest that the age of a domain name has some impact on SEO, search engines usually give preference to older domains.
      0 Not allowed!

I really don't think it's the age of the domain that makes older domains rank better, but the fact that older domains are better indexed and have collected more links along the way.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Melnel View Post
    I really don't think it's the age of the domain that makes older domains rank better, but the fact that older domains are better indexed and have collected more links along the way.
    Yes, it is also true, agree with you.
      0 Not allowed!

I honestly view age of a domain is one of the biggest factors when it comes to high rank on google.
      0 Not allowed!

Why? An old domain with zero back links does not rank, period. Whereas a brand new domain with just a few links can be catapulted to #1 in less than three weeks. Why do you believe, what you would like us to believe?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by rainchild View Post
    Why? An old domain with zero back links does not rank, period. Whereas a brand new domain with just a few links can be catapulted to #1 in less than three weeks. Why do you believe, what you would like us to believe?
    Sorry thats just not true. I have an actual case study which shows the domain which is 7 years old still ranks highly with the right on page SEO.
      0 Not allowed!

23. Age of the domain DOES matter. It would be ignorant to say that a new domain with 100 backlinks and optimized would rank better than a 10 year old domain with 1 backlink and not optimized... but that's not the point here. The age of the domain does matter A LOT. If anything, ask the guys in the domain industry and not hosting/seo... the age is a big part of what they look at when evaluating the domain. (kind of like wine!)
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by socialincentive View Post
    Age of the domain DOES matter. It would be ignorant to say that a new domain with 100 backlinks and optimized would rank better than a 10 year old domain with 1 backlink and not optimized... but that's not the point here. The age of the domain does matter A LOT. If anything, ask the guys in the domain industry and not hosting/seo... the age is a big part of what they look at when evaluating the domain. (kind of like wine!)
    Thank you!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by socialincentive View Post
    If anything, ask the guys in the domain industry and not hosting/seo... the age is a big part of what they look at when evaluating the domain. (kind of like wine!)
    That's the same as asking someone pimping PR whether it has any value and even ants, bees and bird brains know that that is a no-no. Domain age has little or no impact on your serp's.

Ask anyone who watches the serp's day in and day out.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast