Just host (or other cheap hosting recommendations)

Hi All,

I know nothing at all about websites and hence want to learn....
    I'm a PhD student and would just like something cheap for a personal site and probably publish a blog if I find anything during my research.

I've came across justhost, which seems VERY cheap and offers good features with their 50% off coupon. I won't worry too much about their "unlimited xxx" stuff because I know I won't exceed it their invisible limit, I'll just mostly have text on my site, maybe a few MATLAB scripts which I write (all less than 1MB each).

I've came across this insightful thread: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...light=justhost

What worries me is the downtime... and their "incompetent tech support". Although I doubt many people would look at my site anyway... probably just friends and family... (nothing like a startup business anyway).

Oh, I also want to implement something like drupal, would make life a lot easier I suppose.

Do you think I'll be okay with justhost? - Or should I go for something else?

I may want to implement a forum in the future if I ever write a book.

Has anyone had any good experiences with justhost? It seems like all reviews on here tells the horror of justhost....

My main priorities is that it's cheap and reliable. I'll be doing lightweight stuff so I won't worry too much about the bandwidth or storage space.

Many thanks all.
    Last edited by MRLX69; 08-06-2009 at 11:06 PM.

From what I've seen and heard I think JustHost just be avoided. All (most) the hosts on the Top 10 review sites are huge, corporate, faceless that deal with quantity to get by. And most are owned by the same conglomerates.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

Quote Originally Posted by NexDog View Post
    From what I've seen and heard I think JustHost just be avoided. All (most) the hosts on the Top 10 review sites are huge, corporate, faceless that deal with quantity to get by. And most are owned by the same conglomerates.
    Yeah... I've just realised that a few minutes ago... I'll think twice before trusting review sites again...

Edit: So justhost is a nono even for my small/lightweight needs? *sigh*, they're so deliciously cheap.... as a poor student, every little helps!

If you don't care about the uptime and reliability, just get any host, how much would hurt you to have the site down?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    If you don't care about the uptime and reliability, just get any host, how much would hurt you to have the site down?
    I probably won't care much. Will just be annoyed that I'm paying for something I'm not getting.... (guaranteed 99.9% uptime they claim).

BUT - what I do not want is my data to be destroyed or disappear somehow.

I would say avoid Just Host. If you're going to stick to big hosting companies, then have a look at hostrocket.com then since they were what I started with in the past. Other than that, take a look at the hosting offers section and I'm sure someone on these forums can hook you up
    Nothing here right now.

Do you know how much disk space and bandwidth you may need?

Try not to be fooled by the "unlimited" offers when it comes to web hosting. My advice is to purchase what you need within reasonable limits and pricing to be on the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by igxhost View Post
    Do you know how much disk space and bandwidth you may need?

Try not to be fooled by the "unlimited" offers when it comes to web hosting. My advice is to purchase what you need within reasonable limits and pricing to be on the safe side.
    I don't know at all. This will be the first time I'm making a website, I don't expect much diskspace at all.... I don't know, how much space does a blog takes up?!

Bandwidth... I don't expect many visitors.... probably friends, colleagues and potential employers... that's all.

If you're using Wordpress then the amount of disk space and bandwidth really wouldn't be much at all for a start up website or blog. Just make sure you do have enough in your plan to allow room for growth OR make sure that the provider will allow you to purchase additional resources or upgrade to bigger plans when you need to.

Also, check out the shared hosting offers section if you haven't already. Good luck!

I cannot say much about JustHost itself (you can find plenty of reviews about that) but for your needs there is a wide variety of options, with a wide variety of prices. Therefore you shouldn't really limit your options to just one host, and I recommend you head on down to the offers section and see if you find anything that will suit you. Good luck!

I don't know at all. This will be the first time I'm making a website, I don't expect much diskspace
    then take a look to asmallorange.com you can get a well priced package fitting your needs, going after the biggest (or unlimited) package for the lowest price is just look for troubles.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    then take a look to asmallorange.com you can get a well priced package fitting your needs, going after the biggest (or unlimited) package for the lowest price is just look for troubles.
    Before going with ASO, read some of the recent reviews so you know what you're getting yourself into

Quote Originally Posted by nerdie View Post
    Before going with ASO, read some of the recent reviews so you know what you're getting yourself into
    Thanks all. ASO sounds good and quite a few people here recommend them. But their Tiny package for $25 p.a. seems a bit restricting...

beachcomber: http://beachcomber.net/hosting.html might be something more to my liking (just a little bit more resources for the same price).

I'll look at the offers section now.

Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by MRLX69 View Post
    I'll look at the offers section now.
    Best of luck to find your best host. I will suggest you to do a keen research on the hosts which are short listed.

Don't just go to some host because it's "cheap" and "unlimited". Please, do yourself a favor and avoid justhost. At all cost.

You may be really tempted because their plans are cheap, yeah, plus their 50% discount, what host can be much cheaper than them, eh? But once you paid for the first bill, they'll continue to upsell you!! Every way possible. Emails to ask you to upgrade this and that, and it's popping up every time you log in to your cpanel too (without the ability to turn it off), and they'll try to upsell you on every ticket you send in. Oh, and if you ever wanted a refund, they'll come up with every other possible excuses to avoid to refund you. And if they agree to do so, it'll be a "$0.00" refund.

I probably won't care much. Will just be annoyed that I'm paying for something I'm not getting.... (guaranteed 99.9% uptime they claim).
    The thing you have to keep in mind is that you are buying "cheap" hosting and you are trying to scrape the bottom of the barrel to get as-low-as-it-comes hosting in which case you're not really paying for what you are supposed to be getting really to be honest in most cases.

BUT - what I do not want is my data to be destroyed or disappear somehow.
    Always maintain your own off-site off-server backups even if your host says they do it for you!!! I don't know how many threads I've seen in the last year and a half here on WHT where a host has lost a customer's data/databases and the customer had no backup whatsoever and lost years of work. Don't put yourself in this position (even on a personal site) unless you really don't care if it disappears one day.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdie View Post
    If not for the "" on the end this would look like you were trying to say something bad about ASO.

I guess the reviews will have to speak for themselves!
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Hey you can find host for 1 $ per month if you dont care about uptime, reliability and support.