2 dedicated ip's - why - ???

I am a simple hosting provider to a select (small) group of my web site customers. No ecommerce...just hosting straight forward informational type (passive) websites.

Why do I need dedicated ip addresses? What are the uses?

I am purchasing a plan with 2, and the hosting company does not seem to know how to make them availble to me in WHM/cPanel. Since I am so illinformed, I need to know their value to me and my situation..

If the company doesn't know how to make them available to you, then maybe you should be looking elsewhere?

Anyway, the IP's allow you to create your own customer nameservers so you don't need to use the ones provided by the host.

Either SSL or custom nameservers. Both are not exactly necessary for you to start your web hosting operations though.

Thanks for replies - After thinking about this, here is what I think I want to do...

1) Use 1 dedicated ip for the entire WHM to assign to each domain I setup (using a "no-ip" package). (Yes, each of my hosted domains share this ip among themselves)

2) Have the second dedicated ip available to assign to a special domain I host by using a "dedicated-ip" package. I know that I can use this package once...unless I purchase more dedicated ip's from my provider...

Will/should this be a workable situation??

Hello,
    If your host does not know how to allocate Dedicated IP Addresses, Then I would strongly advise you to move on. This is a very introductory step to using cPanel/WHM.
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Join me on Technical.chat

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyplace View Post
    Thanks for replies - After thinking about this, here is what I think I want to do...

1) Use 1 dedicated ip for the entire WHM to assign to each domain I setup (using a "no-ip" package). (Yes, each of my hosted domains share this ip among themselves)

2) Have the second dedicated ip available to assign to a special domain I host by using a "dedicated-ip" package. I know that I can use this package once...unless I purchase more dedicated ip's from my provider...

If your hosting plan includes 2 Dedicated IP Addresses, these can be used for custom nameservers. Custom nameservers are "ns1.yourdomain.com" and "ns2.yourdomain.com" instead of "ns1.yourhostingprovider.com" and "ns2.yourhostingprovider.com". So your clients do not see your hosting provider's name at all. If you want to access your web site by an IP and/or want to install a SSL when you will need one more IP.
    Last edited by domaincart; 08-04-2009 at 10:10 AM.
    domainCart - PHP / AJAX Domain and Hosting Order Script | WHMCS Alternative
    Supports 700+ domain extensions, 27+ payment gateways, multi-currency with auto exchange..
    www.domaincart.net | Demo (all in one - without template)

Yes as stated above those are main reasons for dedicated ips, and as you said you wish to make one ip as your main shared ip, that's comon to do for shared reseller hosting, so thatwould be just fine, now as for your provider not exactly knowing how to set them up for you, well that seems like a bit of lack of common knowledge for web hosting buisness, so id be careful on how much you rely on this provider, or maybe look for another, Regardless best of luck
    http://www.caperhosting.net - web/shells/ircd/shoutcast hosting!
    Live Chat sales/support on website
    WHMCS billing system and client login
    CaperHosting.net We care about everyone!

You would need a dedicated IP address if you need services like private SSL, private name servers or other services that can not run from a shared IP address. To have your own web site you do not usually need a dedicated IP address.
    SUPPORT FACILITY | 24/7 TECH SUPPORT
    SERVER MANAGEMENT | WEB HOSTING SUPPORT | WP EXPERTS

They probably will just allocate the IP addresses to you and it's your responsibility to add them to your server/whm. I would hope that they have the knowledge to add it, but maybe they just don't cover that as part of their support.
    Last edited by larry2148; 08-04-2009 at 12:18 PM. Reason: wording mistake
    Larry Bly
    Sandbox IT Solutions, LLC.
    www.SandboxITSolutions.com
    Dedicated Servers - Web Hosting - Consulting Services

I personally like to keep all my websites on their own dedicated IP, while the rest of my customers are on a different IP.

Not to mention you need 2 for custom name servers, and another if you plan to install an SSL cert. Does anyone know if you can combine the SSL cert with one of your name server IPs?
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by dbbrock1 View Post
    Not to mention you need 2 for custom name servers, and another if you plan to install an SSL cert. Does anyone know if you can combine the SSL cert with one of your name server IPs?
    Yes, you can.

Strictly, you don't really need dedicated IP addresses for custom nameservers either - it's perfectly possible to use shared IPs for this.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyplace View Post

Yes, that's not a bad way at all to go about doing things either.

Quote Originally Posted by dhcart View Post
    If your hosting plan includes 2 Dedicated IP Addresses, these can be used for custom nameservers. Custom nameservers are "ns1.yourdomain.com" and "ns2.yourdomain.com" instead of "ns1.yourhostingprovider.com" and "ns2.yourhostingprovider.com". So your clients do not see your hosting provider's name at all. If you want to access your web site by an IP and/or want to install a SSL when you will need one more IP.
    You don't need your own dedicated IPs - you can realistically use ANY IP that points to the server as private nameservers and I usually suggest that reseller clients use the same IPs that those not using private nameservers use but of course you don't have to
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Very true, Michael. Most people are stuck in a pre-2004 mentality when it comes to IPs and private nameservers. Back in the day when you tried to register a nameserver with an IP used by another IP your registrar would return an error. But ARIN soon realised that within a few years ALL IPs would soon be gone so they changed the rules. Therefore you absolutely DON'T need dedicated IPs for nameservers. Anyone on a non-reseller plan could ping the nameservers provided by their host to get the IPs and register their own nameservers with the same IPs.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

I agree there is no need for that but if you have no idea how to use those IPs just use them for the name servers OR perhaps one of your customers will need that and you will resell that for him
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

Dedicated Ip's i've seen mostly be used for ssl's. For your nameservers you don't need additional IP's.