Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Want to know the names of hosting companies who own full hosting equipments

Can you please share the names of such hosting companies who owns their hosting equipments, servers, space...etc

Not like those who buy server from other companies.

I know only 1 name (liquidweb.com) who has their own hosting equipments, servers...etc

Looking forward to your replies.
    Professional Banner Design :: Complete Satisfaction & Fast Turnaround
    InspireFusion.com :: Art, Design & Inspiration Blog

So, you're basically looking for DCs?

The Planet
    Softlayer

First two I could name off the top of my head.
    WHT is now used as the Universal Hosting Helpdesk.

As mentioned above but also, sharktech.net , staminus.net , and fdcservers.net are 3 we recommend!
    http://www.caperhosting.net - web/shells/ircd/shoutcast hosting!
    Live Chat sales/support on website
    WHMCS billing system and client login
    CaperHosting.net We care about everyone!

Rackspace,hivelocity,wiredtree and lots more

Quote Originally Posted by jani View Post
    Can you please share the names of such hosting companies who owns their hosting equipments, servers, space...etc

Not like those who buy server from other companies.

I know only 1 name (liquidweb.com) who has their own hosting equipments, servers...etc

Looking forward to your replies.
    iWebFusion
    JaguarPC
    Wowvps
    Wiredtree
    The Planet
    Softlayer
    Rackspace
    Liquidweb
    ServInt
    Knownhost
    Netdepot
    VPSLand
    Innohosting
    Sharkspace
    HiVelocity
    Dedicatednow
    Gigenet
    Igsobe

I named people who own their servers, and either own the DC or colocate.
    Jacob Wall

Thank you very much, this is great list and exactly what I was asking for.
    Professional Banner Design :: Complete Satisfaction & Fast Turnaround
    InspireFusion.com :: Art, Design & Inspiration Blog

Ovh a big one

Good list from Jacob

To verify and confirm what kind of web hosting in house infrastructure these web hosting companies have. It's better to do some diligence your self

Talk to their customer support .. google their company info .. read reviews .. open trial accounts

It all pays off in long run when you spent time upfront before choosing your next web hosting provider

<<Signature to be setup in your profile>>
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 08-03-2009 at 04:34 AM.

I don't really see why it matters either way - as long as the company offers a reliable product at a price you can afford and they can stay afloat. Personally I feel it's better to lease than to own if not simply for the fact that you don't have to deal with selling off old hardware and purchasing new hardware when you decide to upgrade.

If you want to upgrade a box you just order a new one, transfer everybody over, and shut down the old and then you don't worry about it any more. Not to mention if you have enough servers with your provider or have set up some sort of solid business agreement you can get leased servers dirt cheap even from the "better" providers.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

It should not matter if a hosting provider owns or rents the equipment - for example, Softlayer provides an amazing infrastructure and many companies utilize this and offer great service.

Well, back to your question, here are some more web hosting companies (not necessary a datacenter) that own their OWN infrastructure:

- cartika
    - rochen
    - resellerspanel
    - jaguarpc
    - eurovps
    - godaddy
    - mosso
    - steadfast

etc.
    Managed.gr cloud hosting, paas, vps, dedicated, domain registration on global datacenters.

Many hosting companies own their equipment (and have it colocated), but only a few actually own the datacenter where their equipment is. There are like 10-20 decent web hosting companies that actually own a datacenter. All others have it all on dedicated servers or colocation.
    To be honest, I have never seen a web hosting company that has it's own datacenter offering shared hosting. Or I am wrong... ?
    If they own the DC they provide dedicated/colocation or probably vps, but never shared hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    I don't really see why it matters either way - as long as the company offers a reliable product at a price you can afford and they can stay afloat. Personally I feel it's better to lease than to own if not simply for the fact that you don't have to deal with selling off old hardware and purchasing new hardware when you decide to upgrade.

If you want to upgrade a box you just order a new one, transfer everybody over, and shut down the old and then you don't worry about it any more. Not to mention if you have enough servers with your provider or have set up some sort of solid business agreement you can get leased servers dirt cheap even from the "better" providers.
    I don't think customers would appreciate being migrated just for an upgrade of hardware.. It's better to just upgrade the existing hardware..Colo or not, it's just better to put only the amount of accounts the existing hardware can support..

When you have your own equipment, it gives you far more flexibility in what hardware you can use. You can choose your own brands, hardware specs optimised for whatever you are doing, choose your own bandwidth providers etc.

Rather than do a migration to another server, you can quite quickly swap the hardware and be up & running quickly with minimum disruption.

Quote Originally Posted by DJwrite View Post
    To be honest, I have never seen a web hosting company that has it's own datacenter offering shared hosting. Or I am wrong... ?
    If they own the DC they provide dedicated/colocation or probably vps, but never shared hosting.
    GoDaddy does. I am sure there are others.
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    GoDaddy does. I am sure there are others.
    Yep... we all know the quality of the service at godaddy. They just suck. I don't even like their domain registration service.

Actually, there are MANY datacenters offering directly shared webhosting.

Coming now to my mind:

- Liquidweb
    - Pair
    - Uk.net
    - FutureQuest
    - Hostdime
    - iWeb
    - Superb
    - Nac
    etc.

Pus many local ISP's (for example, here in Greece all ISP's with their own datacenters offer shared hosting)
    Managed.gr cloud hosting, paas, vps, dedicated, domain registration on global datacenters.

Jani,

It is not a big deal for any web hosting provider to be career neutral and to have its own network. Of course having own data center (building and etc.) is something different, but what makes a web host a quality one is the reliable, redundant network, the service model, and the way it provides customer support.
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

we all know the quality of the service at godaddy. They just suck.
    What site did you host with them and what problems did you find with their datacenter or hosting?

Quote Originally Posted by IH-Rameen View Post
    I don't think customers would appreciate being migrated just for an upgrade of hardware.. It's better to just upgrade the existing hardware..Colo or not, it's just better to put only the amount of accounts the existing hardware can support..
    Actually we've done it dozens of times - we copy databases over one by one and then connect the site on the old server to the DB on the new server. Then we copy all of the accounts and data over and once that is done we re-route the IPs from the old server to the new - nobody even notices beyond us letting them know that it was going to happen.

As an example when you have a server that is say just running two single drives and you want to move those clients to a server running raid10 there is no good way to do this on a 1U unit. Of course this is how we do things and you very well may feel differently about it and as such you would do things differently.

When you have your own equipment, it gives you far more flexibility in what hardware you can use. You can choose your own brands, hardware specs optimised for whatever you are doing, choose your own bandwidth providers etc.
    This is true, and you also have huge up-front investments which if you can handle that then you likely end up getting the better deal by going this route. It really depends on your business plan and how you plan to go about doing things.

Rather than do a migration to another server, you can quite quickly swap the hardware and be up & running quickly with minimum disruption.
    A migration to another server if done right results in 0 disruption. How would you suggest upgrading a 1U server from 2 single drives to Raid10 without any downtime???

Some times it would be better to simply swap out a processor or add a couple sticks of ram - but sometimes it's simply not something that's easily done. As long as the method works well for the clients it doesn't really matter what happens behind the curtains as long as the business is able to sustain it's profitability.

Obviously you and your company choose to do things differently and that is great because if we all did things the same there wouldn't be any need for more than 1 provider in the hosting industry
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.

Me thinks IH can learn from MD

As an example when you have a server that is say just running two single drives and you want to move those clients to a server running raid10 there is no good way to do this on a 1U unit. Of course this is how we do things and you very well may feel differently about it and as such you would do things differently.
    Simple solution, don't use a 1U server... If you are, then put the hardware in a 2U, 3U etc. chassis..

A migration to another server if done right results in 0 disruption. How would you suggest upgrading a 1U server from 2 single drives to Raid10 without any downtime???
    We can do the exact same migration strategy as you have said to a 2U server and migrate the IP addresses over..

Point is, when you're using your own equipment, you can do everything you have mentioned + much more..There is much more benefit than just migrations to another server..
    Last edited by rv_irl; 08-04-2009 at 04:35 AM.

Simple solution, don't use a 1U server... If you are, then put the hardware in a 2U, 3U etc. chassis..
    Unless you are using 1U Servers to get more server density out of your rack/cabinet etc... Just because not using 1U works for you does not mean that using 1U is a bad idea or that you shouldn't do it. I think the problem you are having is that you are failing to see that what might not work for you could still work for others.

We can do the exact same migration strategy as you have said to a 2U server and migrate the IP addresses over..
    Ok, and I am happy for you! Again - what works for you may not work for everybody else and as such each company is going to do things the way they see best.

Point is, when you're using your own equipment, you can do everything you have mentioned + much more..There is much more benefit than just migrations to another server..
    That is how you see things - I tend to see leasing as more of a benefit in other areas such as not having to pay for hardware failures, not having to have my own staff to handle the servers if something goes wrong, not having to pay somebody else to do it when it does, not having to maintain hardware stock and inventory, etc... There are other benefits that I personally see and the fact is no matter what benefit I give you will be able to see a bad side just the same as with any benefit you list.

Really it's up to each and every provider as to whether the pros/cons are worth it for each method of going about business and there's no real sense in debating it as you're not going to convince me and I'm not going to convince you

The upgrade issue you are discussing only applies to legacy servers that were delivered years ago when virtualization wasn't there yet.

We have been recommending virtualization on all dedicated servers to customers. What this means is that the upgrade path is so much less painful using live migration (Xen or Virtuozzo). An upgrade from JBOD to RAID-10 or even RAID-6 can take a few minutes with the click of a button. No IP changes to mess with or BIOS to fiddle with. It completes within 1-2 seconds of jitter down time. That's some portability!

Regards
    Last edited by UNIXy; 08-04-2009 at 09:25 AM.
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    Server Management - Unlimited Servers. Unlimited Requests. One Plan!
    cPanel Varnish Plugin -- Seamless SSL Caching (Let's Encrypt, AutoSSL, etc)
    Slow Site or Server? Unable to handle traffic? Same day performance fix: joe@unixy

Unless you are using 1U Servers to get more server density out of your rack/cabinet etc... Just because not using 1U works for you does not mean that using 1U is a bad idea or that you shouldn't do it. I think the problem you are having is that you are failing to see that what might not work for you could still work for others.
    Nobody said 1U is a bad idea? It was a solution to the scenario you depicted.

I think you're failing to see the point I am making. The point is not whether having your own equipment is beneficial to you or not.. The point is merely displaying that having your own equipment carries significant benefits, such that it also has the benefits of renting + more in regards to the concerns you raised.

Ok, and I am happy for you! Again - what works for you may not work for everybody else and as such each company is going to do things the way they see best.
    I don't believe I stated or even hinted otherwise..

That is how you see things - I tend to see leasing as more of a benefit in other areas such as not having to pay for hardware failures, not having to have my own staff to handle the servers if something goes wrong, not having to pay somebody else to do it when it does, not having to maintain hardware stock and inventory, etc... There are other benefits that I personally see and the fact is no matter what benefit I give you will be able to see a bad side just the same as with any benefit you list.
    If renting your hardware works for you, good for you.. Years ago we did rent, but we found we were constrained by the hardware we can use. We wanted more flexibility than just what the DC supplies.. We preferred certain brands over others and certain configurations that the DC could not have supplied..

Sure there are significant costs in purchasing the hardware and other equipment required to support the hardware, but when the customer sees the difference in performance, it pays off..

That's not to say renting your hardware means you won't have good performance, but in my opinion, purchasing and using our own hardware has opened up a lot of doors.

Really it's up to each and every provider as to whether the pros/cons are worth it for each method of going about business and there's no real sense in debating it as you're not going to convince me and I'm not going to convince you
    We'll agree to disagree

We'll agree to disagree
    Sounds like a plan There are certainly benefits you will get to having your own hardware that you cannot get by renting and vice versa - that I will agree upon.

Sometimes the bank owns the servers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast