Question VPS.NET server info needed

It is possible to install php and mysql on the vps.net servers right or are they already installed?

Regarding the operating system images, do they keep these to the latest version available with all the security updates?

And can image magik, cron jobs, and gd library be installed?

Do they come with webmail pop3, ftp, subdomains, smtp, imap, AWstats?

Do they support SSL certificates?

And what happens when u apply a linux security update and the server has to reboot, does the server go offline and if so is there anyway to keep it online while rebooting?

Quote Originally Posted by ryan14 View Post
    It is possible to install php and mysql on the vps.net servers right or are they already installed?

Regarding the operating system images, do they keep these to the latest version available with all the security updates?

And what happens when u apply a linux security update and the server has to reboot, does the server go offline and if so is there anyway to keep it online while rebooting?
    you can use them just like a normal vps. I had to install my own mysql etc but im not sure if you do now or if my experience was normal. ssl certificates should work fine because last I check its like any other vps just multiple servers? Someone could correct me if im wrong.
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

Have you contacted them regarding this? I'm sure they will be happy to answer your questions.

Regards
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    Server Management - Unlimited Servers. Unlimited Requests. One Plan!
    cPanel Varnish Plugin -- Seamless SSL Caching (Let's Encrypt, AutoSSL, etc)
    Slow Site or Server? Unable to handle traffic? Same day performance fix: joe@unixy

Quote Originally Posted by UNIXy View Post
    Have you contacted them regarding this? I'm sure they will be happy to answer your questions.

Regards
    They also have a small little forum sprouting.

But anyway, from what I've learned sneaking around, they seem to offer blank & preloaded kernels. So you can, for example, get a blank ubuntu with no programs installed, or you can get ubuntu that comes preinstalled with LAMP.

This is not our support forum, but I will do my best to answer your questions anyway. Feel free to write me: ditlev@uk2group.com if you have more questions though!

As daz07 mentioned. It really depends on the image installed.
    Some of our images are simply core ubuntu/centos/debian/etc OS's. With nothing but the default installed. That is similar to what you get with most of the other cloud hosts out there.
    Most of our images comes with applications installed though. We have several LAMP (Linux+Apache+Mysql+PHP) server images, but also a bunch of specific servers that comes with everything from easy to deploy Joomla or Drupal to advanced ready to rock HA cluster images. We obviously also have a standard cPanel server.
    We have both 32 and 64 bit images, and they can all be deployed in a minute or two. The best way to see that is from the screencast made by the Turnkey Linux guys: http://www.turnkeylinux.org/news/vpsnet-partnership
    Some of our images are autoupdated with security patches etc (like the turnkey ones) others needs a lot of TLC to keep them going and secure. That's like any other dedicated or virtual server really.

yes, it is your server, so you can install what ever you like on it.

Some images do, some dont. You can read more about our images on the WIKI.

All images support SSL certs, and they come with a unique static IP. Also, we give away free COMODO SSL certificates. You can read more about that on our forum.
    Like any other server you may need to take it down for a reboot when updating/upgrading/securing/etc it. You can setup a HA cluster though using our easy to deploy templates. That would keep your sites/service running while you took one of the servers in the cluster.
    Quote Originally Posted by daz07 View Post
    They also have a small little forum sprouting.
    yup - we are all for you guys asking these questions on our forum. It is pretty active, 3000+ posts already, and we have quite a few VPS.NET ninja's there.

D
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

eming, what is an HA cluster and how much does it cost?

eming, what is an HA cluster and how much does it cost?
    HA = High Availability

The best way to setup a quick (and cheap) HA system is to deploy a HAproxy image as a LB onto a VM and then set it to balance the traffic between 2 Webserver VM's (these VM's will have to be mirrored of course)

You can even set rules, so if one VM was in UK and one was in US, traffic from one region would be routed to the VM there.

This is a very quickie analogy of it, and depending on your application, it can be a very easy job, or a very complex and long one.

hotoforge has a nice article on it

http://www.howtoforge.com/haproxy_lo...er_debian_etch

The cos ? it depend son how many nodes you use per VM, which is of course dependent on the application itself.
    Carlos Rego
    OnApp CVO

The Cloud Engine