Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting annoyed

Getting annoyed

I'm simply annoyed by people who run a hosting company and employ people who are utterly clueless.

I've gone to two well known and established hosting companies so far, Wiredtree, and Servint. I've asked on their live sales/support tickets specifically for their server specifications, on both occasions I got stupid responses about their packages.

I simply wanted to know about the machines they are running their packages on, yet, at Wiredtree I was transferred to sales about a custom package.

Can someone please link me to a host where the people actually have a clue about what they're doing and what they're trying to sell?

Also, don't suggest liquidweb.

Thanks
    ~Karl

I wouldn't judge people by there live chat. Email them and I'm sure you will get a more through out response.

LiveChat is all outsourced these days. I agreee with sending them an email.

ShaunH is right, May be the reps was new to the company and wasn't trained well. email is the best way because they can take there time on getting you help.

Opening a ticket is the quickest way for an accurate, documented response.
    Ekin Ersoy
    Stagnom Servers | Europe Dedicated Servers with Redefined Support
    Follow us on Twitter: @StagnomUK | Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/Stagnom

Quote Originally Posted by Ekin View Post
    Opening a ticket is the quickest way for an accurate, documented response.
    In response to you all, I opened live chat AND a support ticket to each of these companies and I got stupid responses for each.

Quote Originally Posted by -Karl- View Post
    In response to you all, I opened live chat AND a support ticket to each of these companies and I got stupid responses for each.
    I suppose that shows you that you shouldn't go with them then
    Ekin Ersoy

Quote Originally Posted by Ekin View Post
    I suppose that shows you that you shouldn't go with them then
    Which leads me to why I made this topic, I made this asking for suggestions. -.-

Can someone please link me to a host where the people actually have a clue about what they're doing and what they're trying to sell?

Are you looking for a particular server spec for your VPS? As long as the host isn't overselling you shouldn't run into any serious problems.
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud | YardVPS - Storage VPS
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    6 Continents - 14 Cities - LAX, DAL, CHI, ASH, LON, AMS, JNB, TPE, TKY, BOM, GRU, BCN, SIN, SYD, ICN, MOS

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonVPS-Jim View Post
    Are you looking for a particular server spec for your VPS? As long as the host isn't overselling you shouldn't run into any serious problems.
    That's why I asked for the server specs, to see if they are possibly over selling, however, the companies were too inept to give me a technical response.

My website has had threats of DOS attacks, which is why I want a host which doesn't over sell. They're only threats without any actual attacks yet, but I don't want to risk taking the other clients offline and possibly being suspended because of the attacks.

It depends on the tech, actually. if the tech doesn't care at all, and just doing the job for the money well, he won't answer your questions briefly.

ServInt and Wiredtree are both great companies btw.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepybear View Post
    It depends on the tech, actually. if the tech doesn't care at all, and just doing the job for the money well, he won't answer your questions briefly.

ServInt and Wiredtree are both great companies btw.
    Apparently not, they can't answer the simplest of questions.

That's why I asked for the server specs, to see if they are possibly over selling, however, the companies were too inept to give me a technical response.

My website has had threats of DOS attacks, which is why I want a host which doesn't over sell. They're only threats without any actual attacks yet, but I don't want to risk taking the other clients offline and possibly being suspended because of the attacks.
    First of all, none of the providers you said will give you DOS protection for their services. If that is the problem you probably need to go with a service that handles DOS attacks.

As for server specs, what exactly did you ask? Did you know one of the biggest secrets from Google where their hardware/servers and even how the datacenters worked? They said their hardware was a key to their success. I think many providers take the same route. They will not give exactly their tech specs on hardware/network. As they probably dont want everybody cloning their setups. Also sales persons dont know a clue about hardware. They are sells persons. And if you ask something to complicated they will not know the answer, as they want to sell. You probably need to ask their techs about configs.
    I would imagine that someone that first asks about hardware instead of service is someone that needs some specific to their needs, thats why they probably offered the custom solutions instead of boxed services.

----

just saw your question and I agree with PyDot. the DOS protection thing.

but as for the 2nd statement I don't agree.

As a customer, you have the right to know what kind of hardware they will be using to host your vps onto.
    Last edited by flyah; 07-27-2009 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PYDOT View Post
    First of all, none of the providers you said will give you DOS protection for their services. If that is the problem you probably need to go with a service that handles DOS attacks.

As for server specs, what exactly did you ask? Did you know one of the biggest secrets from Google where their hardware/servers and even how the datacenters worked? They said their hardware was a key to their success. I think many providers take the same route. They will not give exactly their tech specs on hardware/network. As they probably dont want everybody cloning their setups. Also sales persons dont know a clue about hardware. They are sells persons. And if you ask something to complicated they will not know the answer, as they want to sell. You probably need to ask their techs about configs.
    I would imagine that someone that first asks about hardware instead of service is someone that needs some specific to their needs, thats why they probably offered the custom solutions instead of boxed services.
    Okay, so answer this.

If you're a sales person in a car show room, someone comes in with the perfect idea for a car, they know a lot about cars, just not specific models. Are you telling me that the sales person will be clueless about the car they're trying to sell? I think not, the sales person will do research in to what is actually in the car, engine, top speed, etc, etc.

This should surely be the same for web hosting, or any sales for that matter. If you're trying to sell something, you should know that product inside and out.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepybear View Post
    Simple? What kind of questions are u asking btw?
    General hardware questions.

Apparently not, they can't answer the simplest of questions.
    I have always had issues mentioning ddos or specific specifications with certin companys and they have all marked me with custom or high risk orders. If your getting ddos threads wouldnt it be better to work with a ddos specialized provider?
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

I definitely agree with Karl. customers deserve to know the specs of the servers.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeden View Post
    I have always had issues mentioning ddos or specific specifications with certin companys and they have all marked me with custom or high risk orders. If your getting ddos threads wouldnt it be better to work with a ddos specialized provider?
    I'd be able to limit DOS attacks myself, I just want to know their server specs beforehand, so I know what I have to deal with. Rather than paying out a lot more money than I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Muyskens View Post
    LiveChat is all outsourced these days.
    I'd love to know what factual basis you have for that statement.

Back on topic, Karl, how did you word your question? Sometimes if you word it a bit differently, it may help a bit more.

"What hardware configuration are you running for your Hostnodes?" See if that helps a bit.
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

If your worried about overselling, you can go with a virtualization that doesn't allow it such as Xen.
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud | YardVPS - Storage VPS
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    6 Continents - 14 Cities - LAX, DAL, CHI, ASH, LON, AMS, JNB, TPE, TKY, BOM, GRU, BCN, SIN, SYD, ICN, MOS

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonVPS-Jim View Post
    If your worried about overselling, you can go with a virtualization that doesn't allow it such as Xen.
    You can now oversell on Xen right?

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    I'd love to know what factual basis you have for that statement.

Back on topic, Karl, how did you word your question? Sometimes if you word it a bit differently, it may help a bit more.

"What hardware configuration are you running for your Hostnodes?" See if that helps a bit.
    I asked "I'd like to know more about your server specifications......" which in no way relates to the VPS packages.

To be honest even if the live chat is outsourced, they should still be competent. I'd look elsewhere if the live chat operators failed miserably, maybe it's an indication of further employees etc.
    Larry Bly
    Sandbox IT Solutions, LLC.
    www.SandboxITSolutions.com
    Dedicated Servers - Web Hosting - Consulting Services

I've gone to two well known and established hosting companies so far, Wiredtree, and Servint. I've asked on their live sales/support tickets specifically for their server specifications, on both occasions I got stupid responses about their packages.

I simply wanted to know about the machines they are running their packages on, yet, at Wiredtree I was transferred to sales about a custom package.
    Not exactly sure why you got the run around. But, some companies run multiple configs and the servers can vary.

As for ServInt, just take a look at their website (http://www.servint.net/vps-featuresandupgrades.php) and you can get the answer to your question.

* Dell Rackmount Servers
    * Dual Quad Core Intel Xeon L5300/L5400 Series CPUs
    * 32 GB 667 MHz DDR2 Dual Rank, Fully Buffered RAM
    * 15K RPM SCSI/SAS Hard Drives in RAID 10
    * Zero Downtime During Drive Failure
    * Hot-Swap Drives and Fans
    * Replaceable on the Fly
    * Dual Gigabit Network Interfaces

Quote Originally Posted by mainpipe View Post
    Not exactly sure why you got the run around. But, some companies run multiple configs and the servers can vary.

As for ServInt, just take a look at their website (http://www.servint.net/vps-featuresandupgrades.php) and you can get the answer to your question.

* Dell Rackmount Servers
    * Dual Quad Core Intel Xeon L5300/L5400 Series CPUs
    * 32 GB 667 MHz DDR2 Dual Rank, Fully Buffered RAM
    * 15K RPM SCSI/SAS Hard Drives in RAID 10
    * Zero Downtime During Drive Failure
    * Hot-Swap Drives and Fans
    * Replaceable on the Fly
    * Dual Gigabit Network Interfaces
    Even worse, the salesperson should already be aware of the existence of this information and then using it, answer the customers questions.
    Ekin Ersoy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast