Thumbs up Softlayer 11 Months Review – Another Happy Customer :)

11 Months ago I met Chris on Softlayer live chat. He helped me to choose the server & provided a great deal (discounted price + Free Double HDD & RAM upgrade). After ordering Chris called me & the server was up in 2 – 3 hrs.

Network & uptime: 10/10

Softlayer is having very strong network. We are hosting more than thousand websites on this server & softlayer network is able to keep them up all time. Till now we have not seen network downtime of single moment. Their network speed is super fast as well.

Technical Support: 9/10

After entering the customer panel I could see that there were two types of support. Standard support & server administration support. Standard support is free & can be used for accounting, billing, hardware / network questions, server reboots, OS Reloads, Sales etc. while if we need support for server administration (i.e. apache installation, php installation, Control Panel Configurations, Security administration etc.) then we need to open server administration ticket which costs $3 / ticket (never knew that while ordering).

Softlayer technical support is awesome. We get ssh login alert email within five minutes after opening ticket & they keep us updating frequently on the issue, they are not only fast to reply but they really work fast.

On many incident they supported us even sometime they fixed third party applications errors for us.
    For example, one of our reseller was getting timeout error while performing some operations in his WHMCS.
    Like when he try to suspend an account he was getting error something like this: "Curl operation time out after 123*** seconds".
    Upon providing login information to softlayer they regenerated the error & fixed the issue by changing apache & php config. ( I am a bit sure if there were someone else they would ask to contact WHMCS) & also when some of our clients sites were getting error due to permission issues or whatever they fixed it.
    They try to resolve the issue & make their clients happy indeed.

They can fix some issues for you i.e. apache recompile, php issues, mail server etc. but when you have much work to do like security hardening, firewall configuration, mod security etc. they ask us to purchase server management through softlayer certified management companies.

After, all Softlayer support has been Great for us.

Customer Support & Billing: (10/10)

Our experience with Softlayer billing & customer support has been great as well. No issues till now as we were paying the bill in advance of anniversary date. Once the invoice was missed & was paid on next day of the anniversary date & they didn’t charge us late fees.

Customer support has been great & sometime we had to contact them for some other issues like KVM & IP swip etc. They are too helpful & each ticket was replied within a few minutes.

Softlayer customer portal is is just like another world & has many features to give us more power. Here is few of them: Free Reboots, OS Reloads, Port control, Private Network, Free KVM, Bandwidth Graphs etc.

This gives us more power to mange the server ourselves without their help.

With KVM we can manage the server just like we are sitting in front of the server. Many providers charge a few bucks for KVM which is free at Softlayer 

They have method of resolution for abuse issue & you can happily sleep assuring that your server won’t get suspended overnight for abuse issue. They do it as a last option & till the date they have never turned our server off.

If you are looking for a sincere business & TRUE VALUE FOR MONEY Softlayer is great company to do business with.

I think Softlayer is definition of next generation hosting. I wish them all success in future & will surely check for our future needs. Thanks to softlayer to help us to develop our business.

Reason to move: Got a better deal from Atjeu ( Better server specs , Less price, No per ticket costs, managed & have heard great things about their super support)

Great to hear, I've used Softlayer as well
    Jon Stephenson

Good info for those who are going to buy a server for hosting.

Thanks
    Alex

Completely agree. Our experience with Softlayer was excellent as well. Good to hear they are still performing as top-notch as always!
    PeakVPN.Com | Complete Privacy VPN | Cloud Hosting | Guaranteed Security | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    PeakVPN | 31 VPN Servers | 17-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ PeakVPN.Com (Coming SOON) | ASN: 3915

Yep. They continue to amaze me in their superb quality!

Thanks for the review.
    Karl Stallknecht
    Slable :: powerful solutions. right price.
    Hosting | I.T. Solutions | Voice :: Cloud Telecom | Entertainment
    Phone: (703) 445-3391

I always had really good luck with SoftLayer and feel their network and employees are extremely talented and deserve alot of respect.
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

Thanks for sharing a very detailed review on SoftLayer. Glad to see that you are very much satisfied with them. Come back with your new experiences after a couple of months.

We had a great experience with Softlayer when we used to host with them. I'm glad that you received the same great service that we did
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

Quote Originally Posted by sweetdreamz View Post
    If you are looking for a sincere business & TRUE VALUE FOR MONEY Softlayer is great company to do business with.

I think Softlayer is definition of next generation hosting. I wish them all success in future & will surely check for our future needs. Thanks to softlayer to help us to develop our business.
    Thank you for a well written and thorough SL review.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetdreamz View Post
    Reason to move: Got a better deal from Atjeu ( Better server specs , Less price, No per ticket costs, managed & have heard great things about their super support)
    Please remember to come back and post an Atjeu review in 6 - 12 months. I'd love to read that!
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

I've been with SoftLayer for 1 year and 1 month (13 months) on the 27th of this month - I think I am well overdue for a review of my own... Thank you for the very detailed review - I think I am going to follow your format when I formulate my review.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    I've been with SoftLayer for 1 year and 1 month (13 months) on the 27th of this month - I think I am well overdue for a review of my own... Thank you for the very detailed review - I think I am going to follow your format when I formulate my review.
    Yeah we are ready to hear your stories Mike. Make it fast.

Quote Originally Posted by iHubNet-Matt View Post
    Yeah we are ready to hear your stories Mike. Make it fast.
    Haha, ok ok! *untwists his arm*
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Thanks to all for sharing your experience. I will post my review about Atjeu after 3 months or more. Currently the server is setup & things are going smooth.

@MikeDVB

yeah, we are eagerly waiting for your review as you have even more experience with them.

It would be nice if Softlayer offered some more budget dedicated servers. The cheapest right now is $139.

Good to hear another fantastic and well thought out SoftLayer review!

Quote Originally Posted by gammad View Post
    It would be nice if Softlayer offered some more budget dedicated servers. The cheapest right now is $139.
    You get good hardware, support and a fantastic network for that money. I do agree though, I wish they offered some cheaper solutions. I looked at SoftLayer before I chose ServerBeach, if they would have had something lower than $139, I would of went with their services.
    I'm part of the Chicago Breast Cancer 3 Day!
    Because Everyone Deserves a Lifetime.