Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Nope!

Is Bluehost Any Good?
    A very simple NO sums up my experience with Bluehost.

I would recommend you look else where for a quality web host.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    A very simple NO sums up my experience with Bluehost.

I would recommend you look else where for a quality web host.
    You have some pretty good reasons for not liking BlueHost. I read all the details you posted on your website. Thanks for sharing.

I never used bluhost by myself,but i visit some sites which are hosted there and those sites are somehow often very slow.In shared hosting it is enough to have one user which will slowdown entire server and then all other users will have slow sites as well,or even unavailable if load is too high.

I would try...

I am a web hosting company, however, I specialize in Business web hosting.
    If you are looking for a shared hosting plan at a decent price, than is not for a business, or a reseller plan, try hostgator.
    They still place customer service as a priority.
    Remember, not all hosting is equal, knowing what type of site you are running will help with any advice.
    For my company, I do not deal with late night informercial type sites, or reseller accounts, so I know that when someone has an issue, it may aeffect their ability to make a living, so we have policies in place with this in mind, like not auto suspending an account... after all, how many times have you put off paying one bill untill someone else pays you?
    Generally, hostgator and godaddy are pretty good, however, they have their bad reviews too.
    tell us what type of site you run, and we can help better
    Nexxterra.com Web Services
    MassiveServers.com
    Web Hosting, Dedicated servers and Domain Registration - Miami, Florida, USA
    BuyAWebName.com Domain name registration

Quote Originally Posted by nexxterra View Post
    Generally, hostgator and godaddy are pretty good, however, they have their bad reviews too.
    They may have some bad reviews. But, how many major hosting companies have you found that don't have any bad reviews. After you think about it, how many major companies in any niche have you found with zero bad reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Syfonic View Post
    They may have some bad reviews. But, how many major hosting companies have you found that don't have any bad reviews. After you think about it, how many major companies in any niche have you found with zero bad reviews.
    But that does not make it OK. I would accept your premise if it were truly "nickel and dime" complaints people have. But I get clients all the time that are escaping from the likes of godaddy and other hosts that do stupid stuff all the time or just have really unresponsive support.

Nobody is 100% happy all the time but, if you let it get to point of them getting so upset they need to vent on WHT (or anywhere else) then you my friend have failed. I read these forums all the time and see a bunch of complaints that could have soooo been avoided its almost sad.

FWIW -

I use, currently, Bluehost, Hostgator, various VPS providers, various dedi providers, one co-lo provider. I've used many, many services in many different ways, from single sites with one database, to multiple blog, heavy used multi database setups.

I have 3 different accounts w/ bluehost, one managing multiple marketing blogs for a very large corporation, one that I manage a site for a paranormal group, and another I manage for a tech business.
    I can honestly say that Bluehost is....OK. They don't suck, but they are not, by any means, the best in the business. It's pretty much straight forward shared hosting with cPanel / Fantastico, and all that comes with this common setup. They have had some short downtimes over the past few months. They have been slow, at times. Most of the time they are fine, but never set any speed records.

Here's the corporate blog site -
    http://thedirectmarketingvoice.com/
    See for yourself how they are under load. I suggest trying during peak hours, about 1200-1600 CDT.

Compared against other services I've used in the past, or curretly use, they get about an 8 overall. Since I'm a tech, I've never had to contact their support except to report slow or down sites.
    The one thing that does turn me off about them is, they are quite limited in their offerings.
    It's quite literally one-product-fits-all shared hosting w/ cPanel and their "comes with this" offerings. Nothing less, nothing more.
    If you outgrow, you have no choices except to buy another account (if that even fits your growth plan) or move.
    It's kind of like having a clothing store that caters to infant through 5 yo. Once you are 6, they have nothing for you.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

I must say, my experience with Bluehost has been nothing short of a nightmare.

They have closed my sites down randomly several times costing a LOT of sales and cancels to our member site. They were fine when we were a tiny site, but if your site grows into something successful, it's the worst choice of host you will ever make.

Quote Originally Posted by distil View Post
    I have been with Blue Host for years. Always found their staff helpful when it came to fixing errors and coding. I have no complaints.
    distil
    And he came here through a vision to make this post ... on this thread for his 1st ever post

Thats credible.....

[8:40:00 PM]: WE don not offer file storage
    FIRST TIME SALES QUESTION [8:40:35 PM]: so unlimited webspCE IS A BIG JOKE AND TRICK?
    [8:41:16 PM]: OTHER HOST give 20GB webspace
    [8:41:38 PM]: i can upload 20g files
    Jordan H. [8:41:48 PM]: Yes it is a huge trick to give people who are interested in website hosting unlimited space
    [8:41:59 PM]: And telling people that want to use if for file storage they cant
    FIRST TIME SALES QUESTION [8:42:00 PM]: ok,thanks
    Jordan H. [8:42:03 PM]: Huge joke
    [8:42:05 PM]: hahahaha
    [8:42:07 PM]: funny
    [8:42:14 PM]: Its like we dont host websites
    [8:42:22 PM]: have a good day

duration 12:57

Quote Originally Posted by zaodao View Post
    FIRST TIME SALES QUESTION [8:40:35 PM]: so unlimited webspCE IS A BIG JOKE AND TRICK?
    Jordan H. [8:41:48 PM]: Yes it is a huge trick to give people who are interested in website hosting unlimited space

huh? I don't get it.
    PeakVPN.Com | Complete Privacy VPN | Cloud Hosting | Guaranteed Security | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    PeakVPN | 31 VPN Servers | 17-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ PeakVPN.Com (Coming SOON) | ASN: 3915

Quote Originally Posted by zaodao View Post

That's messed up. Why would you treat someone like that?

Unlimited web space (although I don't quite agree with the marketing behind this) is for reasonable web hosting, not your personal unlimited file storage.
    If the files are components of a web site, fine, if it's just a big file dump, they are saying they don't allow this with WEB HOSTING. It does say "Unlimited" under "Web hosting" packages. Not "Personal File Storage" hosting.

Shame on you for treating another human that way.

In their TOS:
    BlueHost.Com does NOT provide unlimited space for online storage, backups, or archiving of electronic files, documents, log files, etc., and any such prohibited use of the Services will result in the termination of Subscriber's account, with or without notice.
    In their TOS they claim they give 'Unlimited' Space/Bandwidth in good faith to the Subscriber. Though does not limit to how much can be used or stored on any given day.

Anywho, Their Limits are:
    We allow each web hosting account a maximum of:

- 8 simultaneous IMAP connections
    - 750 emails to be sent per hour
    - 40 simultaneous PHP connections
    - 60 simultaneous MySQL connections
    - 8 simultaneous FTP connections
    - 450 simultaneous HTTP connections
    - 20% of a 1x core CPU power
    - 60 seconds of continuous CPU time
    Max 50,000 files total (fyi, each email is a file too)

I never really liked bluehost, Their servers were slow and sluggish
    Last edited by Sparrow-Sean; 07-22-2009 at 02:38 AM.
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

I agree, try to stay away from BlueHost and HostMonster

Quote Originally Posted by ATH-Sean View Post

We allow each web hosting account a maximum of:

- 8 simultaneous IMAP connections
    - 750 emails to be sent per hour
    - 40 simultaneous PHP connections
    - 60 simultaneous MySQL connections
    - 8 simultaneous FTP connections
    - 450 simultaneous HTTP connections
    - 20% of a 1x core CPU power
    - 60 seconds of continuous CPU time
    Max 50,000 files total (fyi, each email is a file too)
    So just out of curiosity where did you find this information?

I see a very similar list being mentioned in a customer's live chat conversation here: http://krisrosario.wordpress.com/200...th-bluehostcom, and another one in this forum post here: http://www.nulled.ws/showpost.php?p=797354&postcount=58

This figures changing process is not Bluehost specific, and it is a worry for any hosting customer.

60 simultaneous MySQL connections`
    Not sure about the others, but for sure the limit here is lower, if I'm not wrong is 20, I personally tested it.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Well here is the response I received from Bluehost's live chat on this issue.

Me [6:36:31 AM]: Yes I would like to know the following. How many IMAP, emails/hr, PHP connections, MYSQL connections, FTP connections, HTTP connections are allowed?
    BH [6:39:19 AM]: You may have up to 20 concurrent IMAP, PHP and MySQL connections. As far as FTP and HTTP we do not have strict limits in place, it seems like for HTTP you can have 100 simultaneous connections with out any problem.
    Me [6:39:51 AM]: Do you have any inode limits?
    BH [6:41:36 AM]: We have a file limit of 50,000 files per account.

Quote Originally Posted by NXH-Mark View Post
    Well they are offering unlimited space and bandwidth, which we all know doesn't REALLY exist. There WILL be some catch in their TOS.
    Agreed. Always weary of free lunches because they don't exist.

been with bluehost for 3 years now and so far so good! if you're after shared hosting with unmetered spaces and bandwidth (just don't abuse it)... i highly recommend them based on experience... their server is fast, one of the site hosted at bluehost is loads faster than similar website backed-up on my test server on a VPS with 512MB RAM.

Though i must admit that on 3 years there's at least 2 server crashes encountered and the last completely destroyed mysql dbs, one of my site did not recovered and need to be started again from scratch coz i did not do back-up which is my responsibility as per TOS and all back-up tools were provided in Cpanel.
    Last edited by QuickWeb-Roel; 07-22-2009 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ATH-Sean View Post
    In their TOS:
    In their TOS they claim they give 'Unlimited' Space/Bandwidth in good faith to the Subscriber. Though does not limit to how much can be used or stored on any given day.

I never really liked bluehost, Their servers were slow and sluggish
    my site is running fine and fast on box5x, prolly it depends on the box your site is hosted and it might be already oversold

Quote Originally Posted by kabayan View Post
    my site is running fine and fast on box5x, prolly it depends on the box your site is hosted and it might be already oversold
    So what is the url which you have hosted on Bluehost?

Quote Originally Posted by kabayan View Post
    If you can share your URL or report for a mod to verify, then the post will actually be considered by those reading this thread. Otherwise, being a newbie, it's automatically tainted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12