Idea choice for ecommerce site

I know everyday people like me request your help in finding a good host. But i am asking what you would chose if you do not care about the price(you can afford to pay few extra dollars for piece of mind if you are earning from site) and you need linux hosting with very good customer support which can give you 1 GB of disk space with 600 MB of mysql database, .htaccess, static IP for an ecommerce site.

Looking for good uptime (verified by a 3rd party) is a good idea for your ecommerce website.

You can also send a ticket to support to see how a few hosts respond to your ideas.
    Sean Shepard
    http://www.Ethoshosting.com - Socially Responsible Web Hosting

Thanks

Can you please give me 2-3 options whom i should contact?

If price truly wasn't a deal, I would go with a cluster of dedicated servers. However, I know you just said only a few bucks. You have the right idea of going for host with lower storage requirements and lower bandwidth for higher prices (however, not always does that mean they are a good host).

Just do your research on the host before signing up and definitly see thier uptime statistics, speed, etc...

I would look at the following:

Cartika Hosting (have used for 4+ years)
    Downtownhost (hear good things)
    InnoHosting (hear good things)

There are many others, but those are who I have been telling clients I develop for to look at and consider.

Thanks

I did try to research. I found few names like hostgator, bluewho, httme, hostnexus, rackspace. I know most of them are good. But i am still looking for recommendations. I need linux, 1 GB space, 600 MB mysql( fixed), .htaccess, good mysql admin, good customer support and good traffic stats.

I know this doesn't answer your question but you might want to spend those extra bucks on a good nightly backup mechanism and independent DNS service. Make sure you can access your backups independently of your e-commerce host. Then identify one or two Plan B hosts who will be able to take your backup and deploy it quickly if needed.
    Forayweb - Online Solutions for Your Business
    Expert Hosting and Pay-As-You-Go Web Services

Thanks. Backup i did understand but i did not understand the independent DNS service but it sounds something important. Can you please help me understand this?

Quote Originally Posted by softcell View Post
    ...i did not understand the independent DNS service but it sounds something important. Can you please help me understand this?
    I should have been more clear. I simply meant that you want to ensure that you can access and modify your domain's nameserver independent of your web host. Having possession of a full, current backup of your site isn't much use if your host has control of your domain name.

The idea is that you want to protect yourself and your business by investing in a disaster recovery plan for your website. 'Disaster' in this case means any situation where visitors can't reach your web site and your host can't (or won't) fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by nnwltrs View Post
    I should have been more clear. I simply meant that you want to ensure that you can access and modify your domain's nameserver independent of your web host. Having possession of a full, current backup of your site isn't much use if your host has control of your domain name.

The idea is that you want to protect yourself and your business by investing in a disaster recovery plan for your website. 'Disaster' in this case means any situation where visitors can't reach your web site and your host can't (or won't) fix the problem.
    In other words, buy your domain from a different place than your hosting. It's safer.
    Sean Shepard
    http://www.Ethoshosting.com - Socially Responsible Web Hosting

Yeah. What Sean said. (Brevity is not my specialty.)

Thanks. I had learnt that lesson years ago and now i always keep my domain registrar different from hosting.

You'll want to be on a VPS or dedicated server and not shared. Look into the costs of SSL cert from various hosters as that can also make a difference in your bottomline cost. You'll want to be focused on service and quality of service. Storage space usually isn't so vital.

VPS
    PowerVPS
    HostNexus
    ServInt
    etc

Dedicated
    RackSpace
    Planet
    etc

BTW.... 600MB of MySQL data? WOW. What the heck are you storing? BLOBs in that database? You might want to talk to them about a dedicated MySQL server. I run a $15 million a year ECommerce site(s) in case you're wondering who da heck is this guy.

Cheers
    Carlos

Thanks. It was really good to discuss with you guys. So if i do not mind paying more then most of the top hosts are the same for me?

And one more question please. What if i need hosting for a site in php/mysql which is not really ecommerce. So i do not need SSL etc. Can i go for shared hosting with dedicated IP ? I need very good traffic stats.

And one more question please. What if i need hosting for a site in php/mysql which is not really ecommerce. So i do not need SSL etc. Can i go for shared hosting with dedicated IP ? I need very good traffic stats.
    Yes you can host a site on shared with PHP & MySQL. You can order a Dedicated IP and apply an SSL onto that domain.
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

thanks

Will hostgator business plan good enough for that. i liked their online chat support and they have good reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by softcell View Post
    Even you can host your e-commerce website on Shared Hosting servers. You may go for semi-dedicated servers if you are looking for better CPU % . They are affordable now a days, with all the shared hosting benefits.
    Gineey - JodoHost.com
    Windows VPS, HSphere Reseller, ASP.NET, ColdFusion & more!
    True 24x7x365 Live Support, Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
    Hosting over 85,000+ websites across 100+ countries!

You won't need SSL in that case. Shared is fine. Keep in mind you can always have your main site running off a cheap shared plan and redirect buying customers to PayPal or some other hosted stores, like Yahoo store.
    Carlos

You may go for semi-dedicated servers if you are looking for better CPU % .
    This could work, But hence I would not recommend it. If at any case you were wanting to look at this avenue at present you should look more at Semi-Dedicated Servers, Just the same as Shared Hosting but with more resource usage.

I cannot see an issue with the Hostgator Business Plan!
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

Just because you're willing to spend more, doesn't mean you have to. I would definitely go the shared hosting route on your non-secure site to help your bottom line. Just make sure you shop around and choose the company that guarantees you the specs you need to accomplish your traffic goals.