A VPS for me (quebec, canada)

Hello there,

I'd like to get a VPS for hosting my own websites, friends website, a webradio and other small things. Do you know some GOOD company hosting VPS in Quebec? Or Canada ? Or America ?

Thanks a lot.

Many companies are good. What are your technical requirements? If you explain those you'll get more specific help.

How much memory do you need, and will you manage the server yourself or do you want to pay extra every month for administration help? Do you need cPanel etc? What is your budget?
    VPSVille.com
    Toronto, London, Dallas, Los Angeles
    Quality VPS hosting on Premium bandwidth

Is there a specific reason for needing a VPS in Canada?

It is cheaper to get a VPS in the USA, plus the USA has good connections to Canada so you wouldn't notice any difference.
    Tailored VPS offers fully customizable VPS Hosting
    Powered by OpenVZ | Servers located in the USA | 99.9% Uptime

Quote Originally Posted by backeyes View Post
    Hello there,

I'd like to get a VPS for hosting my own websites, friends website, a webradio and other small things. Do you know some GOOD company hosting VPS in Quebec? Or Canada ? Or America ?

Thanks a lot.
    There are tons in Montreal. Iweb is prominent. You will have to judge quality for yourself.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

try to google "VPS Hosting Canada", you'll find bunch of vps hosts in canada.

iWeb isn't a VPS host. There are a few VPS hosts in Toronto.

I'm using Linode, which has a datacenter in New Jersey. From work (Montreal), I ping 30ms going through Toronto. A friend who went right out of Montreal had lower latency.

There are many hosting companies out there who provide hosting service in United States and Canada as well. You may want to check out VPS Hosting Offer thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Guspaz View Post
    iWeb isn't a VPS host. There are a few VPS hosts in Toronto.

I'm using Linode, which has a datacenter in New Jersey. From work (Montreal), I ping 30ms going through Toronto. A friend who went right out of Montreal had lower latency.
    +1 for Linode. I'm located just east of Quebec (we share a border) and connectivity is great. It's hard to find anything that beats the price and performance of a Xen server from Linode. It's an unmanaged service, so some Linux administration knowledge is required. Before I'm asked here's a domain I have there: destinationlabrador.com

Have you looked into the VPS offers forum? There are some reputable Canadian VPS providers there.
    In2net Network Inc. ( www.in2net.com ) : Providing Service Since 1996!
    Quick Sales Response - info@in2net.com
    Virtual Private Servers : VPS Hosting - Ask us about our Managed Hosting services, too!
    30-Day MoneyBack Guarantee

VPS hosting sounds like the right direction for you.
    Search for vps hosting reviews, or vps hosting Canada. There are many out there. See which company offers the most add-on features you could use. Also check the limitations of bandwidth offered, if using web radio. These considerations may influence your decision for you.
    Top VPS Hosting Providers
    See some of the best VPS hosting providers and learn about VPS Technology at
    Best VPS Hosting

Not sure about providers in Quebec for Virtual Servers but you can try servertag.com, ubhosting.net, upscalehost.com, vpsville.ca for Toronto based Virtual Servers.

Quote Originally Posted by backeyes View Post
    Hello there,

Thanks a lot.
    Where is your main audience located?

You could check out VPS providers that utilize iweb, they have a good network for canada. You could also look at people using Softlayer's Seattle dc.

DiligentHost hosts its servers at NETELLIGENT which is located here in Montreal. You should have a look at them.

Quote Originally Posted by AHN-Jay View Post
    It is cheaper to get a VPS in the USA, plus the USA has good connections to Canada so you wouldn't notice any difference.
    I don't think thats true anymore, network fees are near identical and DC fee's are almost the same as well. The same network providers service both countries as well. A Canadian provider will bill in Canadian dollars which can work out cheaper.

For minimal latency you usually want to host as close as physically possible, but doing a traceroute to different providers should help you find one. A US provider *may* be faster for you, depending on where you/they are.
    VPSVille.com

Quote Originally Posted by vpsville View Post
    I don't think thats true anymore, network fees are near identical and DC fee's are almost the same as well. The same network providers service both countries as well. A Canadian provider will bill in Canadian dollars which can work out cheaper.

For minimal latency you usually want to host as close as physically possible, but doing a traceroute to different providers should help you find one. A US provider *may* be faster for you, depending on where you/they are.
    A Canadian provider will charge GST or GST+PST, while an American company will not. This usually works out to less than the amount lost in the exchange from USD to CAD.

There are also very limited options for VPS in Canada. I'm not even aware of a reasonably priced Xen provider in Canada.

He said America. It could be the U.S. or Mexico etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rlshosting View Post
    He said America. It could be the U.S. or Mexico etc.
    What's your point? Mexicans aren't going to charge GST and PST/QST any more than the Americans are.

I've also not heard of people forgoing VPS hosting in the US to host in Mexico...

Many providers in Canada and the US include applicable taxes in their prices, so shop around for that. In those cases, you won't have to pay any more than the listed price regardless of where you live, the provider pays the applicable tax(es) for you.
    VPSVille.com