[review] 13 months - Umbra Hosting / umbrahosting.com

Company: Umbra Hosting
    URL: http://www.umbrahosting.com
    Plan: 50mb / 500gb bronze (old, grandfathered plan)
    Duration: 13+ months
    Domain: gloryimsaved.com (down due to host change)
    Support: 1hr response (usually)
    Uptime: 99% (from my experience)
    Current customer: No. (see below)
    Reason for canceling: HD failure / plan & pricing issues / time to move on. (see below)
    Would I recommend to others based on service?: Yes
    Would I recommend to others based on value?: Maybe
    Overall experience: 8 out of 10

Let me first say that Umbra Hosting has proven to be a stable, reliable, friendly, and supportive host. With that in mind, please continue reading.

I have been a customer with Umbra Hosting for 13 months now. I began with their highest plan offered, the $9.99 10TB plan. I later decided to go with a smaller plan, their 500GB bronze package.

From the get-go, I began hosting 5 domains with Umbra. This later expanded to 12 domains. I originally intended to purchase their reselling package but around the 7th month Umbra Hosting switched data centers, updated their design / website, and increased the prices on all of their plans. The reseller package I was interested in was no longer offered. The pricing on shared hosting increased 50-65%. Of course, Umbra grandfathered my plan and I continued without worry. However, upgrading my plan now became an issue. Not only had prices increased but the maximum shared bandwidth offered was now 1TB. While I hadn't been using my 500GB quota consistently, my concern was the ability to upgrade at a reasonable rate. Later, I decided to keep my account simply as a nice, reliable shared hosting spot for a few of my domains.

It was around this time, maybe slightly after, that Umbra Hosting migrated all of their shared plans to VPS's. This wasn't a major issue but I don't recall ever being notified.

My only gripe deals with a recent HD failure (which was out of their control, obviously). As per their TOS, any account above 1GB will not be backed up on a daily basis. My account had been above 1GB for about 8 months. This meant that backups weren't kept. This is understandable. However, due to my account being well below 200MB for (at least) 3 straight months, one would expect daily backups. I was notified via e-mail today that no backup could be found for my account. Due to being out of state I have no access to my personal backups and thus I'm in a tight spot. Umbra Hosting staff offered 3 months free hosting should I decide to stay, but seeing as how I would be starting from scratch (until I can get to my local backups) I decided to go with another company. Umbra Hosting was very quick to quote their TOS concerning the 1GB limit on backups but couldn't provide for me an explanation as to why (for the last 3 months) no backups have been made on my account. Total downtime was pushing 30-36hrs before I was notified that a backup couldn't be located.

Apart from that, support response was great, never taking more then an hour. Every now and then durring the early AM, tickets would sit for about 2 hours. Nothing major. The staff were always friendly no matter how dumb or cranky I seemed. Support never talked down to me or insisted that whatever problem I had was on my end. Instead, they always gave me the benefit of the doubt. They wanted me as a customer and proved such by their actions.

There were only a few instances where my sites were down for more then an hour. All upgrades or hardware exchanges were announced well in advance.

Bandwidth and response times were always great.

My conclusion: If you're looking for a hosting company and don't want to gamble, go with Umbra Hosting: stability and friendly staff are their strong points. If you want TB's of bandwidth for under $10, this isn't the company to go with. In the end, in my opinion, pricing is their weak point.
    Last edited by GloryImSaved; 07-10-2009 at 09:01 PM.
    Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

$9.99 10TB???

What?!?

Actually, I just checked my e-mails and I began with the gold package, which was 5TB @ $7.99. My bad. For some reason I thought I started with the gold package.

A thread from 6/30/08 can be found here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...brahosting.com

The packages were as follows:
    Bronze: 50 GB Disk Space / 500 GB Bandwidth = $2.99/Month
    Silver: 100 GB Disk Space / 1,000 GB Bandwidth = $4.99/Month <-- Best Value!
    Gold: 500 GB Disk Space / 5,000 GB Bandwidth = $7.99/Month
    PlatinumExtreme: 1,000 GB Disk Space / 10,000 GB Bandwidth = $9.99/Month
    Last edited by GloryImSaved; 07-10-2009 at 09:31 PM.
    Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

You feel these plans are expensive?
    Any way thanks for making a detailed review on them.

I think the space is neednot too big , the important thing is speed and cpu limited

If you want TB's of bandwidth for under $10
    You are not going to get it anywhere.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

You canot use up the bandwidth , so the bandwidth need so big

If you can use so many bandwidth, your cpu limited will used up !!

So the speed and cpu limited is the important thing

Quote Originally Posted by iHubNet-Matt View Post
    You feel these plans are expensive?
    Any way thanks for making a detailed review on them.
    $10 for 500gb? Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by malong101 View Post
    You canot use up the bandwidth , so the bandwidth need so big
    With the number of domains I have, I sure could.
    Last edited by GloryImSaved; 07-11-2009 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GloryImSaved View Post
    $10 for 500gb? Yep.
    Then I don't want to say any thing mate.

Quote Originally Posted by iHubNet-Matt View Post
    Then I don't want to say any thing mate.
    Ah yes, the whole overselling and "premium" bandwidth argument? CPU shares / usage - right? But of course this thread isn't about arguing over my preferences but rather giving a review of a host. My main reason for leaving was due to data loss and not bandwidth.

Yeah your review was a good one and I appreciate it. It was in detail, and explained all your concerns and impressions.

My account at umbrahosting was also over 1gb so I won't be getting a backup after the disk failure.

Hey, maybe you can go and check their disk usage policy? Something like "we do not permit to store mediafiles" right?

Choose your hosting wisely, usually it is better to buy 10Gig of disk space but be sure that your provider is not overselling their servers, than to have never-achieved 10TB of disk space.

10TB, damn...

Quote Originally Posted by Crashus View Post
    Hey, maybe you can go and check their disk usage policy? Something like "we do not permit to store mediafiles" right?

Choose your hosting wisely, usually it is better to buy 10Gig of disk space but be sure that your provider is not overselling their servers, than to have never-achieved 10TB of disk space.

10TB, damn...

There's no mention of 10TB of disk space. Bandwidth perhaps, but not disk space.

There's no mention of 10TB of disk space. Bandwidth perhaps, but not disk space.
    Oh my...looks like I need to get some sleep. Thanks for the info.

BTW 10Tb of bandwidth make a bit of sense in this case but it is too much even for a bandwidth.

No matter we can finish the resource or not, at least their services are good. I was their reseller previously. Nice provider

Quote Originally Posted by tnnhost View Post
    No matter we can finish the resource or not, at least their services are good. I was their reseller previously. Nice provider
    Oh? What company would that be? TNNhost.com?

yes. My company is tnnhost.com

Under the whois info I see "Created: 2009-04-07". Were you under another name back then?

tnnhost.com is just created this year as i feel that .com is more suitable in targeting worldwide market. You can check whois of tnn.com.my which is starting on year 2007. http://whois.domainregistry.my

Are you saying you were a customer of their's or they were a customer of your company? I recall Umbra being hosted with theplanet.

Are you saying you were a customer of their's or they were a customer of your company? I recall Umbra being hosted with theplanet.
    I am their existing customer.

Oh cool.... Can you give us an idea of your current bandwidth usages? (I'm curious)

I am no longer with umbrahosting and running my own hosting bussiness already. So i do not have any idea of bandwidth usage. Why don't you direct contact the, for more information, been quit from umbrahosting for sometime already.