Setting up VPS servers

Could someone give me some pointers on setting up a server to break into some VPS's. What software is usually used? Any guides on setting it up?

What are your requirements and budget? Do you need to setup Linux VPS or Windows VPS or both?
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk

I have multiple dedicated servers that I would like to put VPS software on and sell VPS's off of. I will probably sell both windows and linux.

Quote Originally Posted by brianbak View Post
    I have multiple dedicated servers that I would like to put VPS software on and sell VPS's off of. I will probably sell both windows and linux.
    There are many options for virtualization. First off, many people are going to flame you because you failed to use google or the search button.

First off, you should look at your options, let me name a few very popular choices.
    1) OpenVZ - OpenVZ can only virtualize linux OS's.
    2) Virtuozzo - Virtuozzo is a enterprise product and can only virtualize it's OS. You can virtualize Windows as long as the node is windows
    3) Xen - Xen can virtualize windows & linux. With xen you can not oversell resources

Please do not be one of those kiddie hosts that use a configuration like this:

Dual Core
    2gb ram
    250gb hdd

Suggested Configuration
    Quad Core or Dual Quad Core
    Start with a few GB of ram, when you've sold that much ram, add 2gb more and so forth that way you don't pay for RAM that you haven't sold/used
    At LEAST 2 drives utilizing RAID

I would say RAID-10 with at least 4 Hard Drives is a must if you want to assure better performance than RAID-1 with two drives. Usually dual drive is not recommended for VPS a node.
    Managed Virtuozzo VPS | Reseller Hosting
    http://www.odishahosting.com [ USA Datacenter]
    http://www.odishahosting.in [ INDIA Datacetner]
    sales@odishahosting.com | 1-732-253-0169 ( sales)

Quote Originally Posted by Odisha-Hosting View Post
    I would say RAID-10 with at least 4 Hard Drives is a must if you want to assure better performance than RAID-1 with two drives. Usually dual drive is not recommended for VPS a node.
    I know, that's why I said at least 2 drives.

I'd start with OpenVZ... a monkey could set it up.

Quote Originally Posted by subigo View Post
    I'd start with OpenVZ... a monkey could set it up.
    Yes, but he wants to sell Windows VPS... So he would need Xen.

I will also recommend RAID 10 with Fast disks (at least 10k). We are using Hyper-V on Windows 2008 and it works great.

maybe you could also consider a SAN infrastructure for more ease

IMHO, go for XEN e.g. RedHat for Linux and a seperate infrastructure with hyperv for all MS related issues - and you will work fine both on stability and license side

best,
    Datacenter Luxembourg
    sglange AT dclux DOT com

Your best bet is to find a host who will allow you to resell VPS. Once you have enough VPS under your account then you could move these VPS off to your own dedicated server to increase profits and control. The initial stage will give you time to learn the ropes. Your host may also provide management for your initial period with your virtualized dedicated server. Keep in mind that a properly configured Virtualized dedicated serve will cost around $500 per month (ie Dual Quad Xeons, 16GB RAM, 4-6 HDD, Windows Data Center OS).

The usual first thing a VPS host has to decide is if he's going to oversell or not, and if so, by how much.

The first, oversell or not, determines easily his hardware platform. Virtuozzo isn't a bad product, but frankly, it's not virtualization, and the real players like Xen, VMWare, KVM and so on are SO the way to go IF you don't want to oversell.. so that's helping to decide your platform. If you want to oversell, Virtuozzo, if not, one of the others (personal recommendation, KVM or Xen, in that order -- Xen is good and all, but both RedHat, Canonical, and the kernel have thrown their support behind KVM going forward).

If you do decide to oversell your next question is by how much; you know you're using Virtuozzo at this point, but now you have to decide if you buy a quad-proc machine with 8 GB of RAM, is that going to be 8 VPS's, 10, 12, 16, or 128 (yes, I saw that once, and WOW was it bad)?

Quote Originally Posted by Nex7 View Post
    The usual first thing a VPS host has to decide is if he's going to oversell or not, and if so, by how much.

The first, oversell or not, determines easily his hardware platform. Virtuozzo isn't a bad product, but frankly, it's not virtualization, and the real players like Xen, VMWare, KVM and so on are SO the way to go IF you don't want to oversell.. so that's helping to decide your platform. If you want to oversell, Virtuozzo, if not, one of the others (personal recommendation, KVM or Xen, in that order -- Xen is good and all, but both RedHat, Canonical, and the kernel have thrown their support behind KVM going forward).

If you do decide to oversell your next question is by how much; you know you're using Virtuozzo at this point, but now you have to decide if you buy a quad-proc machine with 8 GB of RAM, is that going to be 8 VPS's, 10, 12, 16, or 128 (yes, I saw that once, and WOW was it bad)?
    :wow:

Did you by chance get to run a benchmark test on it?

Even i would be interested to see a benchmark test result of Quad proc/8G RAM and 128 VPS's - more curious to know the resource usage of the main machine when all of 128 VPS's were in running state!

It was literally years ago now, but as I recall it was actually quiet at night, and during the day would routinely hit a state of complete I/O contention, load in the 400's, and every customer complaining about how slow their VM was. Hilariously it went on for months, with only a small number of customers actually canceling, before they split it up into a more reasonable 20-something VM's across multiple boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Wall View Post
    3) Xen - Xen can virtualize windows & linux. With xen you can not oversell resources
    Of course you can oversell resources with Xen. It might not make it quite as easy as OpenVZ does, but it is still possible. Disk space can be oversold if you are willing to risk severe data loss. Memory, cpu time and I/O throughput can be oversold if you are willing to risk poor performance.

Network bandwidth can be oversold very easily. Considering people will prefer a 300gb/month plan over a 250gb/month one when they actually only use 1gb/month this makes some sort of sense.

Not everyone will use everything you give them, which is why I think it is important to look at actual usage to determine when to stop putting more VPSs on a host. We choose to undersell for better performance, but of course this increases our overheads and thus prices. Others will choose different price/performance points and I think it is unfair to say that all overselling is bad.

Offering good value is the key. Rip-off services aren't wanted by customers and other hosting providers alike.

Jim
    Blue Room Hosting - High availability UK VPS
    KVM Plans - Multiple OS support. Virtual console and CD drive.

hello,
    i want start to sell only windows vps on my dedicated server with vmware, here the specs:

AMD Bi Opteron Quad 8x 1.80+ GHz 2 MB L2 - 2 MB L3 - FSB 1000 MHz
    64bit
    16 GB DDR2
    2x 750 GB SATA2 - RAID 1 HARD
    1 Gbps
    Traffic 30 TB

How many windows vps i can host on it? I would offer win server 2008 vps with 512gb ram