Confused about domain reselling

Hi All,

I'm a little confused with the domain reselling.

Most of the stuff i deal with is through wild-west.(which i think is the cheapest around)

Am i to assume the wild-west (and godaddy) don't have any APIs for you to allow your clients to buy from you?

Is this why some s/w like WHMCS or whatever support tucows, enom etc, because these registrars offer a different service?

Any input would be appreciated. Godaddy / wild-west seem the cheapest to me.. but maybe it's because they are offering a different service?

Lawrence
    Tired of Hosting? Let Us Buy You Out!

BUYOUT HOSTING - Where Buyers and Sellers meet!

Quote Originally Posted by maknet View Post
    Hi All,

I'm a little confused with the domain reselling.

Most of the stuff i deal with is through wild-west.(which i think is the cheapest around)

Am i to assume the wild-west (and godaddy) don't have any APIs for you to allow your clients to buy from you?

Is this why some s/w like WHMCS or whatever support tucows, enom etc, because these registrars offer a different service?

Any input would be appreciated. Godaddy / wild-west seem the cheapest to me.. but maybe it's because they are offering a different service?

Lawrence
    WWD do offer an API as far as I know (they are the reseller part of GoDaddy) but I wouldn't use them for 2 reasons:

1) They are GoDaddy, who are well-known for screwing over domain owners without any justification. Example: suspending a domain name because of a false complaint of spam or racial statements. At least the others require some documentation (proof) or a court order before doing anything.
    2) Their comparison page is deceptive. You do not need to pay eNom a $195 signup fee for a basic reseller account. Also, eNom does offer 24/7 (or close) support last time I checked. I e-mailed WWD once and waited 2 days for a reply.
    Cpanel/WHM • PHP • Perl • Ruby • Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

Oh, so WWD and others do offer this service. Then what is the package thing that i have setup (MaknetDomains COM) with them? DO you know if this is the same kind of package as other reselling things, like enom or tucows?

Not like i'm really in the "domain-game". I just manage the domains for my clients, and am looking for the easiest method to do this. Cuz not like there's huge fat margins on them.. haha.

Lawrence

Check our Chris at Netearthone. I found them really knowledgeable and good to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by maknet View Post
    Is this why some s/w like WHMCS or whatever support tucows, enom etc ...
    I'd say at least partly because eNom and Tucows have been in the market (of wholesale domain registration) much longer, and have much larger market shares (8.7 million and 7.2 million respectively) than Wild West Domains (3 million).
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Quote Originally Posted by nameslave View Post
    I'd say at least partly because eNom and Tucows have been in the market (of wholesale domain registration) much longer, and have much larger market shares (8.7 million and 7.2 million respectively) than Wild West Domains (3 million).
    There is also an unofficial module for WWD (labeled as being for GoDaddy I think). You may want to look into that if you are serious about going with them.
    Cpanel/WHM • PHP • Perl • Ruby • Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

Quote Originally Posted by larwilliams View Post
    There is also an unofficial module for WWD (labeled as being for GoDaddy I think). You may want to look into that if you are serious about going with them.
    Do you know if this means we would get the same "great prices"? Or does this fall under a different pricing plan?

Lawrnece

Maybe this old thread helps:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=606877

Godaddy have a reseller called www.fxdomainsreseller.com and you have to pay a fee to join but its less than Godaddy but the domain are slightly higher. There is a lot of relabeling and hidden url forwarding going on here with these companies to mask who you are really dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by HostYourIdea View Post
    Maybe this old thread helps:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=606877

Godaddy have a reseller called www.fxdomainsreseller.com and you have to pay a fee to join but its less than Godaddy but the domain are slightly higher. There is a lot of relabeling and hidden url forwarding going on here with these companies to mask who you are really dealing with.
    Ya, no kidding. They don't make it easy at all!

I suppose it has to be done that way if the domains is a commodity.

Thanks for the help.

Lawrence