How to prevent rm -rf /?

Does anyone know anyway that "rm -rf /" can be disabled? OR any selinux rule or something to prevent this?

Or if I wanted to prevent a certain directory from being deleted like backups but something unlike chattr that someone can figure out quickly.

Im sure LOTS of people would like to know about this. Ive searched around and only somewhat useful thing I have found is an rm wrapper that sends everything to a trash file in the root of the mount point.
    Last edited by jon-f; 07-04-2009 at 01:47 AM.

How about FreeBSD's noschg flag and sysctl kernel_securelevel?

The best solution to this problem is to not login as root. Create a user and provide sudo priveleges to that user. This has saved me a few times.

I just found something else unless this is the same thing I posted in first post - it seems different you can make a list of files to never be deleted - http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Utili...rm-40929.shtml

I will try to find the original site for this.

Also I want to point out, this question and thread is not about accidentally deleting things it is about preventing hackers form wiping your box so sudo wont help if they get root through the kernel or some root service. If you forbid root login they can still be root from exploitations.

update - http://www.safe-rm.org.nz/
    Last edited by jon-f; 07-04-2009 at 02:07 AM.

Sorry I misread that bit.

That is some good information though.

Well the safe-rm script is useless, it would be good to prevent accidental deletions but not so against hackers. For example, if you do like rm -blah it spits this back

/usr/bin/rm -blah
    /bin/rm: invalid option -- b
    Try `/bin/rm --help' for more information.

safe rm is /usr/bin/rm , real is /bin/rm so as you see it doesnt help any. I will look on the script and see if its possible to prevent that but otherwise it shows that script is only helpful for accidental deletions

It would be a better idea to backup your server instead of trying to protect against 'rm -rf /'. If you did try to protect against it I would surely think it would just be for accidental reasons, not from somebody who penetrated your system.
    Justin Yancey | Northern Virginia & District of Columbia | https://www.linkedin.com/in/justinyancey

Well yeah it would be for accidental reasons too. And of course backups are done. We are just working on some new things to try and prevent some disasters. We have practially gone over any potential disaster we can think of and are trying to find solutions, come up with backup plans, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinAY View Post
    It would be a better idea to backup your server instead of trying to protect against 'rm -rf /'. If you did try to protect against it I would surely think it would just be for accidental reasons, not from somebody who penetrated your system.
    Not to say that protecting against accidental deletions of rm -Rf / which I am sure happen all the time from a simple typo, to running a script directly that shouldn't be ran that way. Protection against rm -Rf / is the first step. Any protection against rm -Rf / is not a substitute for backups of course

If a malicious person gains root, you are hosed.

Even if a malicious person manages to access only as a user, they can still cause plenty of damage with just a few lines of code.

Code:
    for p in walk('/'):
        if os.path.isfile(p):
            # do something nasty with the file like truncate
            # or fill with the output of /dev/urandom
            pass
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

These days the goal is not so much to delete all your stuff but rather to steal information/do something for profit.

Plus even if you did stop rm -rf, there are other ways they could mess with your server, maybe screw with your partitions? And if you really wanted to be secure, after a server being compromised you would probably start from square one anyways despite them deleting anything or not.
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

Protecting the `rm` command will not make much of a difference to an intruder with root access.

Good thought, but it won't work in practice.

Smile

well, you can make your own rm command, sort of like a wrapper and check the paths (passed in the parameter) and then pass them to the real rm command to do the deletion.

Whats to stop them uploading their own binary?
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Whats to stop them uploading their own binary?
    ha dang,, I didnt even think of that. Well I guess it is still good to have for accidental deletions. My main concern is new staff coming and going but also for hacks but I guess either way someone can screw something up.

EDIT: I guess pulled backups is about the safest thing to do to prevent total loss.

Quote Originally Posted by felosi View Post
    ha dang,, I didnt even think of that. Well I guess it is still good to have for accidental deletions. My main concern is new staff coming and going but also for hacks but I guess either way someone can screw something up.

EDIT: I guess pulled backups is about the safest thing to do to prevent total loss.
    No. Physical in hand backups are best.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance