Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dreamhost.. are there any tricks?

A friend of mine sent me this link of Dreamhost. Are there any hidden things or tricks that are not stated there? Is the total cost for a whole year 9.24?

I am afraid that whenever a host offers unlimited diskspace, there are some tricks. Basically, search for dreamhost reviews on this forum and you will find some horror stories. You can expect overloaded servers, downtime, and account suspension if your site uses too many resources.

Yes, I agree with OH-Bill and as I have said many times before it is impossible to provide unlimited diskspace!

They will provide $10 hosting for year. This market hype has been here for years. But they wont telerate a mp3 site or streaming site larger then 1GB space or video streaming. Unlimited Space to them is 2GB or 4GB. And unlimited transfer is 400GB to 600GB. People only realize this when they delete your data or suspend your account.

Quote Originally Posted by Jatt5 View Post
    And unlimited transfer is 400GB to 600GB. People only realize this when they delete your data or suspend an account.
    Yes, it is typical situation for most of hosts. It is a widely used marketing trick.

Is the total cost for a whole year 9.24?
    If you choose yearly billing. The "777" offer is not something they've done for the first time. Keep in mind it is for new customers only, and if your domain was ever hosted there, you won't be eligible. I think I'll avail myself of this special offer, so thanks for the mention.

EDIT: The end date of the promotion is dynamically generated (javascript), so hurry, but not too much. chances are the offer will be there for a while. They've done this in the past too. That would qualify as a trick I guess.
    Last edited by ldcdc; 06-17-2009 at 12:04 PM.

Total:$119.40
    Discount:$110.16
    Due Now:$9.24

$9.24 for domain and 1 year's hosting. Basically, for $9.24 you're paying about $2 ($7 for domain) for a year's hosting and then next year you pay $119. See the problem there?

You'd probably benefit from it if you sign up for a year and then cancel at 12 months. But its dreamhost...so take your chances.

Quote Originally Posted by OH-Bill View Post
    I am afraid that whenever a host offers unlimited diskspace, there are some tricks. Basically, search for dreamhost reviews on this forum and you will find some horror stories. You can expect overloaded servers, downtime, and account suspension if your site uses too many resources.
    im planning to create some image galleries... all in all I would be using under 50gb of space and my sites are mostly static and don´t have much traffic.. I know the unlimited word does not exist

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    If you choose yearly billing. The "777" offer is not something they've done for the first time. Keep in mind it is for new customers only, and if your domain was ever hosted there, you won't be eligible. I think I'll avail myself of this special offer, so thanks for the mention.

EDIT: The end date of the promotion is dynamically generated (javascript), so hurry, but not too much. chances are the offer will be there for a while. They've done this in the past too. That would qualify as a trick I guess.
    ive never been a customer of them . any ballpark of the time this offer will last.
    Last edited by elvis1; 06-17-2009 at 12:46 PM.

You can also check the policies here. This will be helpful too.

http://dreamhost.com/unlimited.html

Quote Originally Posted by Zsev View Post
    Total:$119.40
    Discount:$110.16
    Due Now:$9.24

$9.24 for domain and 1 year's hosting. Basically, for $9.24 you're paying about $2 ($7 for domain) for a year's hosting and then next year you pay $119. See the problem there?

You'd probably benefit from it if you sign up for a year and then cancel at 12 months. But its dreamhost...so take your chances.
    may i cancel after the year?

Quote Originally Posted by iHubNet-Matt View Post
    You can also check the policies here. This will be helpful too.

http://dreamhost.com/unlimited.html
    thanks I am looking at it..

Unlimited Space to them is 2GB or 4GB. And unlimited transfer is 400GB to 600GB. People only realize this when they delete your data or suspend your account.
    Actually, I don't understand why so many hosts prefer to deceive their customers. Why wouldn't try them to tell the truth from the very beginning and avoid numerous problems in the future?

ive signed in.. i will review my experience

Quote Originally Posted by elvis1 View Post
    A friend of mine sent me this link of Dreamhost. Are there any hidden things or tricks that are not stated there? Is the total cost for a whole year 9.24?
    I'm not trying to be mean, but you've been at wht since 2007, and have made 400 posts. Yet you STILL don't immediately cringe at, not only unlimited hosting offers, but unlimited hosting offers for $9/year?

Who knows though, they might be able to pull it off as a host, but it turns some alarms on for me personally. Let us know how it goes!
    Last edited by IMeanWebHosting; 06-17-2009 at 03:49 PM.
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

Yet you STILL don't immediately cringe at, not only unlimited hosting offers, but unlimited hosting offers for $9/year?
    What is there to lose? $9? Besides, there's lots of feedback on the pluses and minuses of Dreamhost's shared hosting. You're not buying into the unknown as would be the case with so many other hosts.

Quote Originally Posted by OH-Bill View Post
    Basically, search for dreamhost reviews on this forum and you will find some horror stories. You can expect overloaded servers, downtime, and account suspension if your site uses too many resources.
    You can search until you're blue in the face and you'll still come up with negative reviews for just about every single company in just about any industry. Sure, some companies have more negative reviews than others.. and that can be a sign. But you cannot compare a host as large as Dreamhost with a much smaller host and say, based on reviews, that a potential customer will or will not have a negative experience simply on the basis of company size.

Best advice to any potential client: do research on the company to ensure they're a legitimate company. Realize that the bigger the company, the more negative complaints there likely will be. Negative reviews should be taken with a grain of salt and, as they say, your mileage may vary.

If your monetary investment isn't too great and you feel confident the company is legit, go for it.

Above all else, make sure you read what you're agreeing to in terms of TOS/RUP/AUP and return policies. That way you know exactly what you can expect and what their terms are for you to leave if you discover the host is not suitable for your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    What is there to lose? $9? Besides, there's lots of feedback on the pluses and minuses of Dreamhost's shared hosting. You're not buying into the unknown as would be the case with so many other hosts.
    thats what I thought! I wont be streaming videos or trying to store google in it..

my only concern is : when I cancel them: will I still own the domain I got with them?

also I have a noob question: how do I transfer form ftp to ftp?

Quote Originally Posted by tws View Post
    You can search until you're blue in the face and you'll still come up with negative reviews for just about every single company in just about any industry. Sure, some companies have more negative reviews than others.. and that can be a sign. But you cannot compare a host as large as Dreamhost with a much smaller host and say, based on reviews, that a potential customer will or will not have a negative experience simply on the basis of company size.

Best advice to any potential client: do research on the company to ensure they're a legitimate company. Realize that the bigger the company, the more negative complaints there likely will be. Negative reviews should be taken with a grain of salt and, as they say, your mileage may vary.

If your monetary investment isn't too great and you feel confident the company is legit, go for it.

Above all else, make sure you read what you're agreeing to in terms of TOS/RUP/AUP and return policies. That way you know exactly what you can expect and what their terms are for you to leave if you discover the host is not suitable for your needs.

very well said dude, those are my thoughts

You download a program called ftp client to upload files like filezilla to server.

You download a program called ftp client to upload files like filezilla to server.
    I want to transfer from ftp to ftp

how do I transfer form ftp to ftp?
    Search for an FTP client supporting FXP (of course, your two host should support it too)
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

DH isn't some kiddy host hosting "unlimited" plans off a 10GB reseller account - they won't shut you down for uploading 5GB or disappear at the end of the school holidays. They're a well-established host and the 777 deal is amazing value for new clients (not so great for their affiliates ).

The only catch (if you can call it a catch) is you'll have to pay full price for the second and subsequent years, and they're gambling that enough of the clients who take up this offer will do exactly that. Given that the same offer has been available on and off for years I'd speculate that it's a bet they're winning.

im planning to create some image galleries... all in all I would be using under 50gb of space and my sites are mostly static and don´t have much traffic.. I know the unlimited word does not exist
    The word certainly exists, there's just a bit of dispute about the meaning. If you really use 50GB you'll be an exceptional client (I'd guess 99% don't exceed 1GB) but I don't recall seeing any legitimate complaints about accounts being suspended for excessive disk space or transfer usage. Provided it's genuine web content, all static and legal you should be fine. Don't expect the ultimate in uptime or dynamic performance though - with this sort of liberal policy their servers tend to work quite hard. Anyway, for $9.24 you have next to nothing to lose.

my only concern is : when I cancel them: will I still own the domain I got with them?
    You'll need to keep renewing the domain (and paying whatever they charge for it) or transfer it out. They won't lock it.

also I have a noob question: how do I transfer form ftp to ftp?
    You have SSH access so you can use command-line ftp (or wget, scp, rsync etc) from the DH account.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Wow that's an extremely great deal! And since DH has been around for quite a while, I don't think anyone would be risking their $9 which includes domain registration as well.

The problems with unlimited arise when you just buy without reading the resource usage policy, terms of service and what they don't allow. If every customer were to spend a good few minutes reading through the terms of service for hosts like dreamhost and hostgator we'd never have any complaints; problems arise when customers expect the sort of power you get on dedicated from shared, just because it says unlimited. You cannot argue that dreamhost are at all misleading, I've never seen a legitimate complain of "I was suspended for using too much space!" that's always a cover for abusing their servers. This is an excellent 'article' by them.

Nice deal though

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    Search for an FTP client supporting FXP (of course, your two host should support it too)
    thanks mate

Quote Originally Posted by citricsquid View Post
    The problems with unlimited arise when you just buy without reading the resource usage policy, terms of service and what they don't allow. If every customer were to spend a good few minutes reading through the terms of service for hosts like dreamhost and hostgator we'd never have any complaints; problems arise when customers expect the sort of power you get on dedicated from shared, just because it says unlimited. You cannot argue that dreamhost are at all misleading, I've never seen a legitimate complain of "I was suspended for using too much space!" that's always a cover for abusing their servers. This is an excellent 'article' by them.

Nice deal though
    yeah mate, I am planning to use it in a very mild way! I´ve read the article

I've signed up for this, and it seems ok. Downtime is something that happens from time to time, sites are a bit slow, but its handy for putting sites that i dont use much on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast