rapidswitch.com or poundhost.com

Hi all,

Looking to migrate from cheapvps.co.uk. which one you will recommend?

I interested which system do they use, I know that poundhost.com use pre release version of Microsoft software (how secure this system or the same like HyperVM - basically crap)?
    Level of customer support?
    Explore our outstanding VPS choices tailored to your budget, and we welcome reasonable offers.
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

According to VAServ, BSQ have no IP's left, and have been waiting so far, 48 hours+ to get some allocated by RIPE.

So I doubt they will be able to provide you with a server at present.
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Xcellweb Matt View Post
    According to VAServ, BSQ have no IP's left, and have been waiting so far, 48 hours+ to get some allocated by RIPE.

Is there a link to where they said that, as I'd find it very odd.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

I would recommend Poundhost over Rapidswitch any day. Not sure about the no IP scenario, seems odd considering one of my friends were assigned a 8 only three hours ago.

i'd go with rapidswitch, seem to be a nice bunch
    Martyn

I have had a RapidSwitch VPS for a few months now, and so far so good. They use OpenVZ and have their own control panel for managing it.

Quote Originally Posted by FHH - Tim View Post
    Is there a link to where they said that, as I'd find it very odd.
    Hi,

We have given each new server 1 IP, some now have their original allocations; each new node that we build also requires an IP.

At present BlueSQuare have submitted a request with RIPE for more IPs as we have cleaned them out.

We are trying to get new IPs as quickly as possible so that we can give customers the allocation that they are paying for, as soon as we have more IPs you will be delegated them.

Regards,
    Richard James
    VAServ Support
    and a few minutes ago VAServ made a public announcement

Hello,

You are receiving this message because your ticket is currently marked in for secondary IP address assignment of a new/replacement VPS with us.

In case you are indeed awaiting for a new IP's to be assigned - this is to inform you that all pending UK IP's are currently on hold, due to the simple fact that we are awaiting new IP blocks from our upstream, Blue Square Data. As it appears, hold on is caused due to Blue Square Data awaiting new IP blocks to be released from RIPE (Network Coordination Centre) which unfortunately is not going to happen overnight. At this point we do not have any ETA as we are practically awaiting on our upstream and data center to forward us new IP addresses before we can delegate them to you, our beloved customers. We will be keeping you updated and we hope to have these sorted out within a matter of next 48-72 hours if not earlier.

For customers, waiting on US based IPs - we are expecting new batch of IPs to be prepared tomorrow at some point, when we will be proceeding with provisioning. We will be contacting you with appropriate log in details.

We appreciate your patience and understanding. Please try avoiding replying to this email unless absolutely necessary because we have full team working around the clock as hard as we can to get everybody up and running.
    -------
    Sincerely,
    Vladimir Neskovic
    Now, either VAServ are telling the truth, or BlueSquare are starting as they mean to go on... ie. treating their newly acquired VAServ customers like s**t.

If the latter is true, I wont be hanging around, im only sticking with them, because I like VAServ's ethics and team and the fact they dont treat you like turd.
    Last edited by WirralNet Matt; 06-17-2009 at 12:32 AM.
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

I would go with PoundHost. When I had a VPS with RapidSwitch we encountered quite a bit of downtime, however the support seemed good.

Best of luck.
    Shaun
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win."

and a few minutes ago VAServ made a public announcement

Now, either VAServ are telling the truth, or BlueSquare are starting as they mean to go on... ie. treating their newly acquired VAServ customers like s**t.

If the latter is true, I wont be hanging around, im only sticking with them, because I like VAServ's ethics and team and the fact they dont treat you like turd.
    Just because VAServ are IN BSQ, doesnt mean they use BSQ IP's
    WHSuite - Billing, Automation and Client Management Software.

In the last 7 days or so we have gone through BSQ's remaining remaing 4x/24 ( about 1000 IP's ). We are expecting a new /18 through in the next few days

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

Having used/using currently both platforms, i'd say it's marginal on which to use. We currently have a Rapidswitch VPS and use it for storing backup's. Never had any issues with the VPS and technical support is friendly and helpful.

Poundhosts system works, I cannot fault the server performance at all! but simple tasks you'd expect to be able todo in a portal at the time we used them were unavailable and you had to get support to re-image your VPS, although that wasn't a major issue as support with Poundhost is incredibly quick.

I use to have some Dedi's with Rapidswitch, as a company Id say their a really good company and support is quick response too!
    The Hosting Heroes Ltd - over 20 years in the UK hosting industry.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers | VPS Reseller for WHMCS
    www.thehostingheroes.com

I had a W2K3 server with RapidSwitch and currently I have a W2K3 VPS with PoundHost.

RapidSwitch's control panel and network are far superior than PoundHost.

That said, XenSmart.co.uk is a good alternative for people looking for a cheap Linux VPS. I'm using their VPS for ~30 days and no problems at all.

PS: AFAIK RapidSwith and PoundHost require recurrent payment via credit card. No PayPal accepted. Also, make sure you read their cancellation terms before signing up, in special RapidSwitch's leonine terms.
    Last edited by dotHostel; 06-17-2009 at 07:31 AM.

I had from Poundhost the following email:
    Hello Alexadner,

I am afraid cPanel is not compatible with the Hyper-V platform. Our platform is far more secure than HyperVM as it is provided by MicroSoft.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Regards
    Adam Heath
    I have ordered rapidswitch.com and still awaiting for activation of account as it's stuck on the same status: Awaiting Build
    The tech support guys told me that they don't have ETA & usually it takes 24 hours. I need to ask about billing, as they already charge me for 1 month in advanced, that about deduction of 1 day of time wasting?
    Explore our outstanding VPS choices tailored to your budget, and we welcome reasonable offers.
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

RapidSwitch's control panel and network are far superior than PoundHost.
    not only that, it's also FREE dedicated IP addresses or for whole subnet only £60 for setup - awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by alex-developer View Post
    The tech support guys told me that they don't have ETA & usually it takes 24 hours. I need to ask about billing, as they already charge me for 1 month in advanced, that about deduction of 1 day of time wasting?
    When we ordered ours we got it pretty quickly after making payment.

Quote Originally Posted by GeekSRV View Post
    When we ordered ours we got it pretty quickly after making payment.
    very strange in my case. I have opened ticket regarding the order, as I paid at the same time as placed the order.

Quote Originally Posted by alex-developer View Post
    I need to ask about billing, as they already charge me for 1 month in advanced, that about deduction of 1 day of time wasting?
    I think you shouldn't worry about this 1 day ... but be prepared to pay 30 days to terminate the contract.

This Agreement shall come into effect upon the date of this Agreement and, subject to the provisions of this Agreement shall continue in force for an initial term of 1 month from the date the Services are available to the Client and indefinitely after that until terminated by either party giving not less than 30 days prior written notice to expire on or after the expiry date of the initial term.

Blue Square, who are taking over VAserve, also own Poundhost.
    Andrew Ogilvie | Xtraordinary Hosting | AS30827 | Member of LINX
    Dedicated Servers in Central London | Xen VPS Linux & Windows | Complex Hosting | London BGP4 Bandwidth