Need Affordable Hosting Recommendations

Hello, I've seen that currently the hosting I'm running from Dreamhost is decent, however, my site has been getting spikes of traffic from Google nowadays.

What and when would be the best time to upgrade from a shared hosting to a premium?

At the moment, my site received around 300 visitors daily, but I anticipate it to go higher.

My GB stats say that it consumes around 53 MB every day, around 1.5 GB per month. My site is a blog and barely uses any pictures of videos that are uploaded to my server.

When do you believe is a good time to change web hosting? At what approximate bandwidth used? Because at the moment, my site is getting slower and slower than usual.

Please share some of your recommendations. Slap me some good affordable, risk free, good customer service hosting with good uptime.

The price range should be under $10/m.

I've heard some good things with smaller hosting companys with good reviews, so I believe I might go for the smaller reliable companies rather than the larger ones because customer service is lacking for most of them.

Well, have you tried HostGator?

I've heard good reviews of them and they have good customer support too.

The only thing is, I believe dreamhost is stricter on CPU than other hosts. So, I think you may encounter CPU issues before you hit other issues.

I think going with a smaller company is a great idea. Personally, I think smaller companies work a lot harder to keep you as a customer than the larger ones. This is mainly because the smaller companies NEED you. The bigger ones may not care as much about one customer.

For $10 per month though, you shouldn't have a problem finding a good host that fits your needs exactly. Your resource usage fits that budget.
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

Your current usage is really low. I think it might be good to say that the server is causing the slow down, other people on the site / filling up more.

It might be good to check around for different providers, buy some hosting and test out if the blogs go faster.

I don't think you'll be able to see a "limit" for when you should change over. You'll probably notice when you should, if your site usage increases, if your ad revenue / budget increases, if you want to expand your site to anything intensive.

Blogs are really light, so you probably won't have to worry about moving for a while. You can also try out using WP-SuperCache (if using WP) to see if your site can speed up at all.

Good Luck,
    Sam
    ClanDrive Hosting | The No Fuss Webhost
    Shared & Reseller * Seattle - West Coast * LiteSpeed * cPanel * Fantastico * R1Soft * &More *
    Dedicated * Seattle - West Coast * 1-Minute Monitoring *
    VPS * NY - East Coast * OpenVZ *

Given your level of traffic, I don't see you running into issues anytime soon, unless you experience a 10 fold plus growth with significant usage spikes.

Because at the moment, my site is getting slower and slower than usual.
    That is very unlikely to be your site's fault. Contact Dreamhost's support and see what they can do about it. The cache plugin could help too, though you shouldn't put up with extended performance issues. At $10, there's excellent hosting to be had for a site of your size.

For your current usage shared hosting is more than enough...and it is more than enough even if it goes thrice the current traffic...

Better stick to your existing host

If you still wanted to try other host...give hostgator a try

For the amount of traffic you are receiving, you can obtain faster reliable hosting for a lot less.

Hostgator may be great, I've used them and they were fine, but fact of the matter is that you do not need "unlimited" anything.

Check out Precision Effect. I guarantee your site's performance will improve dramatically.

Dave
    Last edited by db09; 06-16-2009 at 03:00 PM.

Even if your traffic doubled you should be fine on your current host but if you want to make sure contact them and find out what they think.
    Review Hell - Brutally Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Helpful Web Hosting Advice
    Web Hosting Guide - Easy to Understand For Newbies

If your site is getting slower with those kinds of usage statistics I would have to say that likely the issue is the server that you are on and likely doesn't have much if anything to do with your site specifically.

HostGator in my experience is a fantastic provider if you do decide to change providers make sure to give them a good looking over.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Did you got any warning from dreamhost or anything on that line? otherwise, why would you like to change of provider if you're happy with them?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertF View Post
    I've heard some good things with smaller hosting companys with good reviews, so I believe I might go for the smaller reliable companies rather than the larger ones because customer service is lacking for most of them.
    The guy mentioned he's thinking of going for a smaller host, and that he only uses 1GB bw, and people start suggesting hostgator, the big time unlimited host.
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

Check the offers section, a lot of options out there!
    madgenius.com - S Corp. We are US based company.
    Web Hosting, Cloud VPS, and Dedicated Solutions since 1998
    Also offering custom solutions and automated provisioning for most services

For $10/mo you could get a very, very good host for your requirements. The offers section is a good place to take a look, I suggest doing a search here to find reviews on any companies though.

Also, contact their sales department and see if they are willing to give you a discount for a specific amount of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertF View Post
    My GB stats say that it consumes around 53 MB every day, around 1.5 GB per month. My site is a blog and barely uses any pictures of videos that are uploaded to my server.

When do you believe is a good time to change web hosting? At what approximate bandwidth used? Because at the moment, my site is getting slower and slower than usual.
    The slowdown is almost certainly unrelated to your usage. At 1.5GB traffic you're a long way from needing to change for that reason - the decision on whether / when to move is yours to make based on your experience there and your expectations of an alternative host.

In my experience DH is a reliable host and great value for static websites with relatively large space or transfer needs, but dynamic (PHP/MySQL) sites don't do so well there.

Please share some of your recommendations. Slap me some good affordable, risk free, good customer service hosting with good uptime.

The price range should be under $10/m.

Medialayer.com would be perfect your needs.

Edit: Kudos for using "Affordable" in relation to a $10 per month budget.
    Last edited by foobic; 06-16-2009 at 10:36 PM.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

It's a lot of hostings about $10 monthly. Very nice is Hostgator or Godaddy. However, you must have to be very carefully on your decide!6 Things Need To Know Before Signing Up a Web Hosting

When you are looking for a web hosting provider, there are many things need to weigh up. The following 6 factors are most important.

* Price: when you open home pages of web hosting companies’ website, the most conspicuous item impacts you is the price. They put the lowest price to attract visitors. Normally, there is a little * mark following the big price number. Now you need to find out what conditions this little * will tell you. Look at the bottom of the page, you will see something like, *Applies to new accounts only, Conditions Apply, or * $x.xx /month pricing is available with a 24 month prepaid billing cycle.(Anyway, most of hosting’s plans what I recommend bellow monthly cost same as one cup good espresso, definitely it cheap)
    * Money back policy: some web hosting companies offer 30 days money back guarantee, you need to find out and understand full money back policy. The setup fee and domain registration fee (if applicable) are not refundable. Usually there is certain process to cancel your account, like “you must contact xxxxxxxxx Customer Team, Monday through Friday, 9:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. or via email at moneyback@xx***********”.
    * Hosting features: going through the entire hosting feature list, to be sure listed hosting features are good enough for your website. Sometimes the hosting feature is not defined clearly; you need to check out with the web host. If you need to run a software that is not listed, ask the web host if they have the software included in the hosting package and if you are allowed to use it.
    * Customer support: there are ways to test how good the customer support is. Talking with representatives of the web hosting provider is the best way; making a phone call, chatting online, or sending an email. The direct communication always helps you to make a judgment. Many web hosting providers provide support center or help center on their website to help you find most answers.
    * Free domain name: Some web hosts offer free domain for life or free domain forever services that mean you get free domain registration as long as you keep your hosting account with the host. Some hosts offer free domain registration only for first year or initial contract period. When your contract is renewed, you need to pay your domain registration fee. Sometimes Hosting company don’t give you free domain, but they give you another good feautures (good example- HostGator)
    * Bandwidth usage: there are some restrictions on bandwidth usage, even some hosting companies offer unlimited bandwidth. Usually they put this condition in “terms of service” section of their website. If you have a high bandwidth usage site, like ecommerce site, gaming site, or downloading site, it maybe better to go to dedicated server hosting or VPS hosting.

It is very important to put above 6 items into your web hosting check list. What you eyes tells you is not always truth, because sometimes the truth is hidden somewhere you need to find out. And remember- today you are using 1,5 gb monthly, tomorrow- 25!

The thing with Dreamhost is that, there are a ton of server problems. I've had to contact them about 10 times already this month on the server slow downs if it isn't caused by my site. Since my site's stats are low and isn't even coming close to HostGators's $10/m stats, is there a cheaper hosting that fits my needs? I heard some good reviews of Hostgator, however, at this moment, I won't be needing what they provide until a later time. What hosting you suggest? I just want to stop the slow downs and "cannot establish connection" errors that Dreamhosts most frequently has on the server my site is on.