Post From JaguarPC (1+ year) to GlowHost (just started) - my experience and reviews so far

I've been with JaguarPC for over a year. I hosted two sites, one on VPS, another on semi-dedicated. I had to give up VPS after a couple of months when it turned out it was impossible to upgrade my operation system despite several attempts.

Today I'm canceling the second site on semi-dedicated server even though at first it was good (and cheap compared others). Unfortunately, over time the server was getting less and less reliable, there were frequent outages and connection problems. It seemed I was usually the first one to spot the problem and I opened a ticket; one of them had a dozen or so replies as I would post almost every day that the site was down or slow. So I had to leave this semi-dedicated too.

JaguarPC positives:

- despite server performance issues, they have fast and friendly support; I liked to work with these guys and they showed patience. They even offered me free upgrade on VPS to a better operational system, but I chose to move on to try other waters

- they were flexible enough to install software I needed without problems

JaguarPC negatives:

- server problems, probably some overselling and/or not enough attention to the bad guys with buggy or heavy websites

-----

Now I moved to GlowHost.com and pay over two times as much for a semi-dedicated server. Here are my first impressions:

- server seems OK so far,

- support - they are also fast (probably even faster than JPC), even though they seem not to be as flexible as JaguarPC regarding installation of common software. For example, I asked them to install zlib to use gzip compression, but they said they know better and gzip compression is not something that would benefit my site and I would have to move to a dedicated server to have it installed (?). I was a little surprised since even some regular shared hosts have zlib library installed and I would think a semi-dedicated server (with no more than 30 domains on the server as it's possible to host only one domain and considering the price) should be treated as something more than just a shared server and users who choose semi-dedicated server actually do it to improve performance over shared server.

Either way, I'll see how it goes later; as long as the server is stable and fast I guess I shouldn't complain.

I'm sorry to hear you experienced these issues. Would you mind PM'ing me the SDX server you were on? That certainly isn't the norm for those servers and I would like to pass this on to support to look further.
    Last edited by JPC-Tracie; 06-12-2009 at 04:00 PM. Reason: typo
    ~Tracie
    JaguarPC.com

Useful review. Mind sharing which domain you have registered with them for verification? I hope everything works out for you with your new host.

I PMed Tracie from JPC about the server; I can only confirm domain only to the employees of either companies though.

Quote Originally Posted by tomaszb3 View Post
    I PMed Tracie from JPC about the server; I can only confirm domain only to the employees of either companies though.
    If you don't want your domain posted publicly, use the Report feature to submit it to the mods. If you refuse to provide a domain in public or private you risk getting this whole thing killed.
    WHT is now used as the Universal Hosting Helpdesk.

Zeyr is right, here on WHT we require that reviews be verified (even if privately by the moderation team) so that the reviews here can be trusted. It's in the best interests of the community that all reviews be verified
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

No offense to you, and we're not trying to be hard to get along with. It's just a WHT policy, that's why the others are asking. You don't have to make it public to us at all, you can simply report it privately to the mod team.
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

I'm not sure I understand - I'm a senior member here who joined before you did and I've never had to "report" to anyone. Does it mean I should receive permission before I start a new thread if I can comment on a particular company or not?

IF forum staff or company staff in question ask me about it via PM, I'll be happy to provide, but you aren't being serious to ask me to provide a domain just like that, because some of the regular members desire to know it...

Smile

I'm not sure I understand - I'm a senior member here who joined before you did and I've never had to "report" to anyone. Does it mean I should receive permission before I start a new thread if I can comment on a particular company or not?

IF forum staff or company staff in question ask me about it via PM, I'll be happy to provide, but you aren't being serious to ask me to provide a domain just like that, because some of the regular members desire to know it...
    It's been that way for several years. Admittedly it's not always enforced because the mods can't catch everything but they try. I don't know what you're getting upset about, it's just a way to prevent people from making false posts about a host for their own personal reasons. We're not accusing you of doing that, it's just makes everything more credible.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

Mod received the details.

Mod received the details.
    Thank you and confirmed

It's just for the "greater good", and for sure not anything against you.

Thanks for reviewing the providers. Give us follow up on glow host.

- server problems, probably some overselling and/or not enough attention to the bad guys with buggy or heavy websites
    We're sorry you had some server problems and we would love to hear more about them. There is no vps or sdx overselling going on, infact we probably maintain some of if not the lowest client server ratios for our services than others. Our time in the business and economy of scale gives us that fortunate ability.

Anyhow we would be happy to give you a few free months and would like to get more info on your account. Thanks for your business and good luck with your new hosts.
    Greg Landis | Director of Growth Jaguarpc - Unlock Superior Hosting with JaguarPC
    Managed Servers - Virtual Private Servers | AMD EPYC Dedicated servers
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | (888)-338-5261 | greg @ jaguarpc.com