What would you do?

Guys,

I have a former client that is deciding to use a very interesting name for his web hosting business.

My company name is Zoner Hosting (www.zonerhosting.com).

Well this former client is using the name Zoner Web Hosting (www.zonerwebhosting.com) Pretty funny huh!!

My question is, what should I do about it? I think it is kinda funny since I am not that big of a host.

Any suggestions?
    Jeffrey Nikoletich
    Xfernet - http://www.xfernet.com

That is intent of bad faith. Providing the same services you do and using a similar name. Report it to the data center and the domain name registrar would be your best bet. Unless you want to spend quite some money on an ICANN complaint.
    Website Design and Marketing in France
    www.SagaNET.fr

Yeah. I figured I would have to go that route.

They are hosted at The Planet so that should be fun and the domain is reged at godaddy. Looks like I will be sending emails like crazy.
    Jeffrey Nikoletich

I was under the impression it is a simple matter of commercial law. At least here in Oz, you cannot register a business name which duplicates an existing name in the same area of business. I'm sure that applies in the US and UK too, but of course I don't know how it applies internationally.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey404 View Post
    Yeah. I figured I would have to go that route.

They are hosted at The Planet so that should be fun and the domain is reged at godaddy. Looks like I will be sending emails like crazy.
    I don't think that THEPLANET will help you shut their website. You need to threat your cusotmer about all legal actions you can take.

I have seen the similar case in the past with one of my client running a big hosting company. Their reseller in brazil started hosting company with almost similar name but extension was brzilian. His intent was to resell the package of the master company in brzil.

So, all depends on what intention your client has. May be they are good right now, but you never know whey they turn out crazy.

I you follow through, please let us know how it went (both with theplanet and godaddy).
    -Mr Bister

If your case is strong, ThePlanet will take some steps, but they usually don't disclose to you.

I got the responses from both the planet and godaddy. It was the usual "We are looking into it, blah, blah, blah"

No response from the website owner. We will have to wait and see.
    Jeffrey Nikoletich

Why has it taken you almost 2 years to complain about this?

I checked the DNS and the site you are complaining about was registered almost 2 years ago.

Was this person really a client of yours? or is it a case of you wanted to register that domain name but found it to be already registered?

My guess would be the latter
    Host to avoid at all costs - Real Web Host

Mouse potato - The online generations version of a couch potato

Quote Originally Posted by Keith W View Post
    I checked the DNS and the site you are complaining about was registered almost 2 years ago.
    Hmm, nice catch. Did you happen to notice which domain was registered first? Very curious.
    BestVPSReviews.com - KnownHost VPS? Liquid Web VPS? See my personal experience with these hosts.
    Best Web Hosting - The Best Web Hosting Deals and News

I had the same issue arise a few years back although I did have my domain name trademarked. A competitor proceeded to register and use 5 variants of my domain name and I sued them in Federal Court, they ended up settling for $10,000 and turned to domains over to me.

Quote Originally Posted by HostingDeals View Post
    Hmm, nice catch. Did you happen to notice which domain was registered first? Very curious.
    The OP's domain was registered in 2004

The domain he is complaining about was registered in 2006
    Host to avoid at all costs - Real Web Host

Mouse potato - The online generations version of a couch potato

First off he has a crapy design. Now i know in Alaska (where i'm from) you have to get a bis license what you could do is report him to his state that he is trade mark stealing and copyright stealing, because he is, your name is yours he stole the name don't let him get away with it who cares how many clients you have. This guy doesnt have enough maturity to go and make his own name and come up with his own idea.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Steve33 View Post
    I had the same issue arise a few years back although I did have my domain name trademarked. A competitor proceeded to register and use 5 variants of my domain name and I sued them in Federal Court, they ended up settling for $10,000 and turned to domains over to me.
    Just out of curiousity, if the name is a variant, how can someone be sued? Yes you own the trademarked name, but you dont own the variants?!

Jeffrey, there is might be the same domain name but with other exptension. I think that you have nothing to worry about here. Just warn your customers as new as existing about that and that's all. Make yourself destinctive by your service quality. Good luck with your company
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

Wow thats pretty odd, and bad. I recommend contacting their host.