* Jaguarpc Dedicated Server

Since I just finished writing a review about Burst; I figured it would be a good time to write one about JaguarPC Dedicated Servers.

I purchased/used a total of 3 budget dedicated server for my own purposes. Server 1 didn't really have any issues (besides not being powerful enough), Server 2 didn't really have any issues, server 3 did have issues.

The setup time for the servers consisted of about 72 hours and my biggest complaint is the addon prices.

Pros
    -------

-Gnax Network
    -Affordable
    -A well known company name

Cons
    -------

-Didn't know what type of Kernel I needed for openvz. They installed openvz and I would expect them to know this.
    -Reboot times can take an hour or more.
    -Last Server would randomly die and they never bothered to troubleshoot it.
    -Did not honor the advertisement listed on forum. I referred a friend to that post and they told him it was old. The only issue was that the edit date was a week old on the post. I asked when I upgraded from Server 2 to server 3 if I would receive what the advertisment ad had listed of "1 Free month". I never heard a response back but figured since I did get two free months in the past I would get another because I was doing the EXACT same thing.
    -I requested a Clientexec license to use and was issued one. I was having issues with it on my account and requested for someone to take a look at it/fix it and if it couldn't be fixed to just reinstall it at the $15.00 installation price. I was then told after it was fixed it would cost $30.00 . I told the tech about 5 times to just reinstall it to avoid an hourly admin fee. I spoke to Nick who did clear/waive the fee.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for sharing your review with us
    » www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    » Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands + Belgium with DAILY support, also on weekends
    » 3.2 Tbit/s Network AS49453 with only 100 Gbit/s uplink backbone
    » 1G/10G/40G/100 Gbit ports available | 99,99% Network Uptime goal
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the review/feedback.

On openvz, we dont run it. We run only virtuozzo on all our machines. In fact if we did that openvz install it may have been a first or at least one of a few.

Why use openvz when our vz rates are nearly free and it performs sooo much better.

On reboots. We do have a remote reboot option, hands on reboots can vary though.

We wouldnt troubleshoot a server without managed services or someone paying for the time, especially on a bargin bin. Sorry.

Ads and specials can and do vary, expire, change etc. That being said, if you wanted contact myself or nick (sales manager) we can and do often make custom arrangements for repeat or high referral clients. back scratching sorta thing

Looks like there are a few things we could improve, like consistancy on the specials, and the reboots. Thank you for the feedback and your business.
    Greg Landis | Director of Growth Jaguarpc - Unlock Superior Hosting with JaguarPC
    Managed Servers - Virtual Private Servers | AMD EPYC Dedicated servers
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | (888)-338-5261 | greg @ jaguarpc.com
      0 Not allowed!

I did speak with Nick and Les...

I do not think my server needs to be managed to be troubleshooted, as the issue could of been hardware related as you mentioned it was a "bargin bin". The staff didn't do to much besides making a client wait 1+ hour to reboot the server and then seeing if an error appeared after booting. If the server goes down more than once in 13 days and without any real reason; I would expect it to be troubleshooted.

Two tickets telling me your staff was familiar with openvz...

"
    Hello Matt,
    We do not directly support Xen at this time. Our techs can help assist in getting it installed but we cannot offer support for it. One alternative is OpenVZ which our staff is more familiar with.

Aside from the cost of the license there would be no additional cost for any panels.

Depending on what you are hosting, the popularity of the site, and any scripts you run on it the server may be able to handle your needs.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Regards,
    Les"

"Hello Matt,
    Our staff is primarily versed in VZ and OpenVZ. I am not aware of any other clients using vmware on our servers or hypervm. If you require a graphical interface I would suggest leasing a virtuozzo license for your new server. The prices for the differnt licenses are here: (http://www.jaguarpc.com/services/virtuozzo-licenses.php) "
    Last edited by @Matt; 04-03-2008 at 12:01 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Matt,

-Did not honor the advertisement listed on forum. I referred a friend to that post and they told him it was old. The only issue was that the edit date was a week old on the post. I asked when I upgraded from Server 2 to server 3 if I would receive what the advertisment ad had listed of "1 Free month". I never heard a response back but figured since I did get two free months in the past I would get another because I was doing the EXACT same thing.
    Your upgrade was not a new server being added to your account, it was more of a server transfer as we pulled the drives out of one and stuck them into another. Also the post in question was from over a year ago and had been updated with just server specs on what we had in stock, and nothing was ever said about the +1 month free. When you brought it to our attention it was changed.
    Nick | BudgetVM
    1G | 10G | 40G | 100G Baremetal Servers
    Featuring Best in Class - In House DDOS Protection - No Voxility
      0 Not allowed!

A year ago Nick?

http://www.jaguarpc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18186
    10-01-2007, 12:57 PM - Posted by Greg

Was then modiffied by you on Last edited by JPC-Nick : 02-21-2008 at 02:05 PM.

It was modified before that by Les (still had the free month listed) 2 weeks before that.

--------------

So let me get this straight...

If I decided to purchase a new server, instead of upgrading I could then receive a free month?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt.G View Post
    A year ago Nick?

http://www.jaguarpc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18186
    10-01-2007, 12:57 PM - Posted by Greg

Was then modiffied by you on Last edited by JPC-Nick : 02-21-2008 at 02:05 PM.

It was modified before that by Les (still had the free month listed) 2 weeks before that.

--------------

So let me get this straight...

If I decided to purchase a new server, instead of upgrading I could then receive a free month?
    It was updated by les to list what we had in stock I edited it to remove the free month. If you were adding a new server in addition not transferring then we could have talked about it. But you cant transfer servers to get a month free every other month
    Nick | BudgetVM
      0 Not allowed!

I think that seems quite fair on Jaguars part, not only is the offer out of date.
    But you are basciually say why cant you transfer to another server and get a month free, whats to stop eveyrone doing that and thus Jaguar giving everyone a new box and a month free to boot? And then whats stopping them doing it next month to get another month free as the offer already expired
    Damien
      0 Not allowed!

If you don't mind me asking why didn't you answer my question in regards to the free month before I upgraded?
      0 Not allowed!

I had a VPS from JaguarPC for about 8 months, then one from Slicehost for the same period of time (until now). Slicehost has been rock solid, while JaguarPC had some availability issues.

The reason I left JaguarPC was because they lost my server completely (including all the data), didn't have a backup, and didn't offer any sort of tangible apology (like, a month of free hosting).
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by dandv View Post
    I had a VPS from JaguarPC for about 8 months, then one from Slicehost for the same period of time (until now). Slicehost has been rock solid, while JaguarPC had some availability issues.

The reason I left JaguarPC was because they lost my server completely (including all the data), didn't have a backup, and didn't offer any sort of tangible apology (like, a month of free hosting).
    We now have R1soft that has corrected that problem
    Nick | BudgetVM
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jag-Nick View Post
    We now have R1soft that has corrected that problem
    That's great to hear, Nick. I see that you also have a revamped forum UI that looks very sleek. If SliceHost keeps putting people on hold for registering new accounts, I'll certainly recommend JaguarPC again.
      0 Not allowed!

Any other reviews about them ?
      0 Not allowed!

I was looking for maybe other peoples feedback on dedicated hosting and still waiting on your response nick...
      0 Not allowed!

1 hr reboot response is a no-no in my book, are you serious matt that it takes 1 hrs to do a reboot on server ?
      0 Not allowed!

Yes, it has taken a couple times 1 hour or more to reboot my server. I replied to a thread in the past with the reboot times. I'm to lazy at the moment to search WHT or my past tickets to prove the times. The only thing that was suggest to me is to buy a remote reboot switch. I do not think I should have to wait 1+ hours for a reboot or have to purchase a switch...

Jaguarpc is fine for using it as a VPS provider but not more dedicated hosting.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by dandv View Post

This is really scary...
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com
      0 Not allowed!

I never seem to have any issues contacting BurstNET, I must be lucky.

@DomainWala: That is indeed quite scary.
    Current Status: Coming up with ideas for a new SaaS.
      0 Not allowed!

I was looking for maybe other peoples feedback on dedicated hosting and still waiting on your response nick...
    I don't recall your question.
    Nick | BudgetVM
      0 Not allowed!

Wow!, i had a problem with burstnet. I had FreeBSD Installed, and wanted centOS, because they couldn't set CPanel up correctly on FreeBSD, thus when they reinstalled they "lost" my backups (luckly i had my old server still up and left them for a new provider!
      0 Not allowed!

"If you don't mind me asking why didn't you answer my question in regards to the free month before I upgraded?"
      0 Not allowed!

"If you don't mind me asking why didn't you answer my question in regards to the free month before I upgraded?"
    What was the question exactly?

Asto the backup issues we did have alot of problems with data backups but in the past year we upgraded from homemade script to R1Soft Shelled out a ton of money for it, and added about 20 new backup servers. That problem is fixed and fixed good trust me.

Asto reboot times, when the ticket comes in that late at night our techs that we employ @ the data center are not there and we are left to the mercy of the data center staff to reboot the server. That is also why we offer APC Remote Reboot to our dedicated clients. We can call in our tech thats a 15 minute drive or open a ticket with the data center normally a 30 minute quick job for a reboot.
    Nick | BudgetVM
      0 Not allowed!

I'm not going to did through all my old tickets and I'm no longer going to discuss it.

I'm not trying to put Jaguarpc.com down but I think the dedicated server side could use some improvement.
      0 Not allowed!

Closed by request.
      0 Not allowed!