Delete everything on server before cancelling?

I am currently transferring from a VPS to a dedicated server.

After you have made the transition, do you delete everything on your previous server? Or can I expect that everything be deleted anyway when my subscription runs out?

I bring this up because there sometimes is sensitive data stored there (ie. databases with personal info) and I'm wondering how much I should delete. Obviously I'll get rid of the DBs, but what about essential stuff like the operating system?

Delete databases.
    Delete websites.
    Delete all users except root (mysql and ftp also).
    change root password
    NOT a webhost!helping here just for the fun of it!
    G(r)eek inside.

Quote Originally Posted by revax View Post
    I am currently transferring from a VPS to a dedicated server.

After you have made the transition, do you delete everything on your previous server? Or can I expect that everything be deleted anyway when my subscription runs out?

I bring this up because there sometimes is sensitive data stored there (ie. databases with personal info) and I'm wondering how much I should delete. Obviously I'll get rid of the DBs, but what about essential stuff like the operating system?
    Any highly sensitive data should be encrypted anyway, in case of server breach or otherwise unauthorised access.

In terms of a VPS, your hosting provider will usually delete the VPS after your subscription expires so that they can recreate a new one for someone else. There's no sense in reusing them.

If you want you can ask your service provider to keep a backup in a CD/dvd. And if needed you can retrieve all data future.
    Sysfirm
    So you think your server is secure?
    Try our security Service
    With SysFirm

I would delete the files. Your provider SHOULD delete the whole VPS when you cancel, but they may not.

I wouldn't be as concerned about a VPS as a dedicated server. I have seen plenty of examples of dedicated server providers reusing the same OS installation rather than reimaging the HD, simply because they're too lazy to reimage the server, or they just aren't aware of the security issues.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Quote Originally Posted by bqinternet View Post
    I would delete the files. Your provider SHOULD delete the whole VPS when you cancel, but they may not.

I wouldn't be as concerned about a VPS as a dedicated server. I have seen plenty of examples of dedicated server providers reusing the same OS installation rather than reimaging the HD, simply because they're too lazy to reimage the server, or they just aren't aware of the security issues.
    Please be aware that deleting files does NOT guarantee they are inaccessible. It's relatively trivial to restore deleted files from most filesystems, so should your VPS provider reuse your existing VPS configuration, the "new" user may be able to access your data.

If anything is that sensitive, encryption should be your first choice. Never store anything unencrypted that you don't class as public information already.