Thread: Question !!

Question !!

Hello yall,
    Does having a forum for your webhosting make you look more professional or reliable maybe ? And does it look bad if you have SMF or free forums on your site ? *cough *cough !!

Whats your take about hosts having paid script for forums or having forums at all

Cheers

I like forums in general and imo, it's a nice addition to web hosts. As to the forum software being used, I don't really mind as long as it's functional.

I think the use of a commercial system always looks better. The reason being it shows the host is at least willing to spend money on licenses and such. Not to say there aren't good looking ones using free software but they took the time to make them look nice which is good. Something like vbulletin looks pretty good even when it's not been skinned perfectly to the hosts website.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and Cloud Hosting
    PHP 5.2.x - PHP 8.1.X Support!

I definitely make sure the host I'm with has a forum. It not only makes the host appear more open, but it also lets the community members answer questions for each other which may reduce the number of repetitive simple support tickets.

As regards to which software I really don't mind as long as the host has spent the time making the theme of it original and in keeping with the rest of their site. Yeah vB is nice, but some of the free options available now are pretty impressive too.

-Tim

An empty forum is likely to be a double edged sword. It can make even a big company seem small.

I don't care about the software used as long as it does what a forum needs to do.

Forum software doesn't matter as long as it looks good and is functional. Like another poster said though, empty forums aren't good for business.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    An empty forum is likely to be a double edged sword. It can make even a big company seem small.

I don't care about the software used as long as it does what a forum needs to do.

Oh but its hard to get a hosting forum going, as not much topics can be made i suppose ?
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !

Quote Originally Posted by Energizer Bunny View Post
    Hello yall,
    does it look bad if you have SMF or free forums on your site ? *cough *cough !!

Whats your take about hosts having paid script for forums or having forums at all

Cheers
    Absolutely nothing wrong with using SMF forum software IMO but you really should upgrade to the latest version. They're up to 1.1.4 now and you're still using 1.1 RC2? That would bother me if I were using your services because I would wonder about other possible security related upgrades being done.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

Quote Originally Posted by catfished View Post
    Absolutely nothing wrong with using SMF forum software IMO but you really should upgrade to the latest version. They're up to 1.1.4 now and you're still using 1.1 RC2? That would bother me if I were using your services because I would wonder about other possible security related upgrades being done.
    Ohh well i got some mods/hacks etc on it, so dont get time to upgrade as it is . maybe this weekend
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !

Quote Originally Posted by Energizer Bunny View Post
    Ohh well i got some mods/hacks etc on it, so dont get time to upgrade as it is . maybe this weekend
    Yeah, I didn't mean to pick on you, I forgot about the hassle to upgrade with mods. I just use the default skin/theme on all my forums so most upgrades are just one or two clicks in the package manager.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

I will agree that a forum is a good idea as long as it is active. Forums with very few posts leave the impression that the host does not have many active customers.

If run correctly and active it is a very good selling point. However if you don't stay on top of things it can quickly turn against you.