Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hotmail drop my emails

I have a VPS with rDNS and SPF records configured fine. I am able to send email to all. But for hotmail I can not.

The strange is that on VPS log I have message that the trasation was competed:

$
    2008-02-29 23:22:07 1JVHMV-00069K-PE <= adriano@domain.com.br H=localho$
    2008-02-29 23:22:08 1JVHMV-00069K-PE => teste.noreply@hotmail.com R=lookuphost $
    2008-02-29 23:22:08 1JVHMV-00069K-PE Completed

But the message was not delivered in any teste.noreply@hotmail.com folder (inbox or spam folder).

I can not understand it. What can to be happening???

Formas

Formas,

What happens if you add your email as a trusted sender on the hotmail users inbox?

Hello Joseph,

First off all I must to say that I hasve a VPS with you on BRAVO node and this VPS is fine. I am using my VPS with you to make a backup and I think that you make a good job. Congratulations.

About hotmail problem I can to say that is impossible to me add my email on trusted sender because messages was not delivered. Sure if messages were delivered in spam folder I could make this, but as I already saied any message was delivered, even so my VPS log showed that all transaction with hotmail was fine.

Try using this tool http://postmaster.msn.com, they have all the various ways of getting your emails through Hotmail correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by r00ter View Post
    Formas,

What happens if you add your email as a trusted sender on the hotmail users inbox?
    Now I found the option to add the email in "Trusted sender" on hotmail. I made it and I tested again but without sucess. The message still was not delivered but VPS mail log continues showed that all is fine.

Today I received the following emailo from hotmail Support:

********************************************************************************
    Hello Fernando,

We have identified that messages from your IP (XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX) are
    being filtered based on the recommendations of the SmartScreen filter.
    SmartScreen is the spam filtering technology developed and operated
    by Microsoft. SmartScreen is built around the technology of machine
    learning. SmartScreen's filters are trained to recognize what is spam
    and what isn't spam. In short, we filter incoming emails that look
    like spam. I am not able to go into any specific details about what
    these filters specifically entail, as this would render them useless.

However, we also base our spam rating on the reputation of the sender.
    One way to positively impact the reputation of your IP is to obtain
    SPF/Sender ID records. This technology allows SmartScreen to better
    track emails from your IP, weeding out spoofed messages. You can find
    additional information on creating SPF records at
    http://www.microsoft.com/senderid. We have also published a document
    on email delivery at http://www.microsoft.com/postmaster.

Please confirm that your emails comply with MSN Hotmail's technical
    standards. This information can be found at:
    http://postmaster.live.com/Guidelines.aspx

I hope that the information that I have provided to you has been
    helpful. You may also be able to find additional information on
    common delivery questions at the Hotmail Postmaster Site found at:
    http://postmaster.msn.com/. I would like to highlight some key areas
    which I believe are appropriate to your company.

* Hotmail has created the Smart Network Data Services program.
    This is a service that helps legitimate email senders work with their
    customers and partners to reduce spam originating from their IP.
    http://postmaster.msn.com/snds/. This program allows a sender to
    monitor the 'health' of their IPs.

* I would also strongly recommend that you authenticate your
    outbound email via Sender ID and publish your SPF records for your
    outbound email IPs and register with Sender ID. You can find
    additional information and submit your domain for inclusion into the
    Sender ID program at http://www.microsoft.com/senderID . Please note
    that technical standards (RFC 4408) discourage use of "ptr" for
    performance and reliability reasons.

* Monitor user complaints. Hotmail also has a sender complaint
    feedback loop program Junk Email Reporting Program (JMRP). Enrollment
    in this, free of charge, program will benefit you as a sender as it
    will keep your e-mail lists updated and populated with interested MSN
    Hotmail Customers. Participation in this program will remove those
    MSN Hotmail Customers who do not want to receive e-mails from your
    company. If you are interested in joining this program please visit
    http://support.msn.com/eform.aspx?pr...ail&ct=eformts.

While using the SNDS tool, enrollment in the JMRP or having your IPs
    registered with Sender ID will not allow emails from your mail servers
    to bypass our filters, these are in place to help legitimate companies
    deliver their emails to Hotmail Customers.

* SenderScore Certified Mail Program. Many legitimate mailers and
    marketers have qualified and joined this "white listing" program to
    improve mail deliverability and decrease email from being filtered to
    the Junk E-mail Folder. Sender Score is a third party program,
    administered by Return Path. Sender Score
    (www.senderscorecertified.com) is the only White Listing service to
    which we subscribe.

The troubleshooting steps in this email are recommendations only.
    Microsoft makes no guarantees that following these steps will
    guarantee deliverability to MSN, Hotmail, or Live.com customers.

Thank You

Stephen

Windows Live Hotmail Domain Support
    ********************************************************************************

Looks like I am on the same place, without any explanation about why I can not send email to hotmails accounts.

Hotmail is definately the most difficult free email service to deal with. They give us a lot of problems. Gmail on the other hand, even though they have tons and tons of accounts they seem to be a lot more effective with spam control.
    rootbsd.net :: BSD based hosting for smart people
    FreeBSD VPS :: FreeBSD and OpenBSD Hosting Powered By Xen
    IRC: #rootbsd on freenode
    twitter: @rootbsd

Quote Originally Posted by Formas View Post
    Looks like I am on the same place, without any explanation about why I can not send email to hotmails accounts.
    The reason is as Hotmail has said, ie due to their SmartScreen filter blocking your IP making your emails "disappear" a at the Hotmail side.

Make sure you have reverse DNS and SPF record setup correctly for your IP and domain. Reply to Hotmail with all that info. They should then ask you to send a test email to them. Once they receive and check on that, they will pass your case to the Filter Dept. That dept will then check and if everything passes, they will unblock your IP.

Formas, if the below is wrong, please ignore it.
    If your IP is "xxx.xxx.xxx.111" and your domain name is starting with "adr...", you have RDNS but I think you do not have an SPF record. Also, go to your hosting company forum and search for "smartscreen". You should find a similar post there.

Quote Originally Posted by mylinear View Post
    Formas, if the below is wrong, please ignore it.
    If your IP is "xxx.xxx.xxx.111" and your domain name is starting with "adr...", you have RDNS but I think you do not have an SPF record. Also, go to your hosting company forum and search for "smartscreen". You should find a similar post there.

Hi mylinear,

Your information about my IP and domains is correct. Sorry, but how do you know it??? And How do you know that SPF records was not configured??? Could you tell me more about SPF records configuration, please??? Because I already ask to support on my hosting company and the support told me that RDNS and SPF was corrected configured.

But I already ask to my hosting company to change this IP. And IPS was changed. I will test email to hotmail when my new IP to be propagated.

Regards

Well, I as saied above, I already change my IP. My IP was propagated now. I tried to send an email to hotmail and the same issue still persist.

So I am on the same place with hotmail. :-(

Could you tell me more about SPF records configuration, please???
    You can check here for more info.
    http://www.openspf.org/

Because I already ask to support on my hosting company and the support told me that RDNS and SPF was corrected configured.
    For the IP of xxx.xxx.xxx.111, there was RDNS configured, but I didn't see SPF record for your domain.

But I already ask to my hosting company to change this IP. And IPS was changed. I will test email to hotmail when my new IP to be propagated.
    If your new IP is now xxx.xxx.xxx.167, you need to ask your host to setup RDNS for this new IP because it does not seem to be setup for this IP yet. Your domain stil does not have SPF as well.

Go to:
    http://dns-tools.domaintools.com/
    Key in your new IP address in the input box on the right side. Select DNS radiobutton.
    There is no RDNS answer listed at this time in the result page.

If you key in your domain name at:
    http://www.openspf.org/
    It will help you create a SPF record. But at this time, it does not show an existing record for your domain.

You can also use the tools found here, but you may have to register to use them.
    http://dnsstuff.com/

Well, I as saied above, I already change my IP. My IP was propagated now. I tried to send an email to hotmail and the same issue still persist.
    Please note that in this case, it is not because your IP is blacklisted by Hotmail. It is because you are using a "new" or "clean" IP which does not have a usage "history" or "reputation" yet. So the Hotmail SmartScreen filter blocks it. I guess it is like the IP is guilty till proven innocent....

So changing from your old IP to a new IP does not necessarily mean it will help or will automaticaly work. Once Hotmail checks on the IP and it meets the necessary requirements, they should unblock it.

I had the same issue with Hotmail, and I fixed it.

The problem was with the SPF record, I had an SPF record but it was not a very well designed one.

Make sure you have a well designed SPF record that mentions the IP addresses and domain names specific to your server, DO NOT use a generic SPF record, it won't work.

DO NOT use a generic SPF record, it won't work.
    Actually, it does work. YMMV.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

Quote Originally Posted by plumsauce View Post
    Actually, it does work. YMMV.
    Yep, it does sometimes, but a lot of the time mail is rejected due to generic SPF records.

If the OP's email is being rejected, and he/she claims that they have an SPF record, I merely suggest that refine it.

If your new IP is now xxx.xxx.xxx.167, you need to ask your host to setup RDNS for this new IP because it does not seem to be setup for this IP yet. Your domain stil does not have SPF as well.
    formas, I now see RDNS has been setup for your new xxx.xxx.xxx.167 IP address. I also now see a SPF record for your domain. However, I think the SPF record is generic and may still cause a problem with Hotmail.

Please refer again to your hosting company's forum.

I think the SPF record is generic and may still cause a problem with Hotmail.
    Like I said, a generic SPF was what was causing my email to be dropped by Hotmail. I highly suggest you fix it.

As I saied, I change my IP addrress. After that the problem still persist. I refine my SPF record too, but nothing.

Interesting that if I send a message from hotmail to VPS first, and reply this message from VPS to hotmail, the message is delivered. But if I send message directly from my VPS to Hotmail, message is droped.

Now I open a new ticket with Hotmail support and asked to forward my ticket to filter dept, as suggested mylinear on other forum.

* Moved to Technical and Security Issues....

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Dear Danny_G,

Could you write an example of specific SPF?. Mine is:
    v=spf1 a mx ptr ip4:207.210.86.165 mx:mail.sobreentrenamiento.com ip4:200.61.160.241 +all

Do you think it is generic or specific?

My emails are being signed by Domainkeys too. Gmail and Yahoo say: "skim: pass", but HOTMAIL is delivering my emails directly to JUNK MAIL.

Best Regards.

Mario.
    Mario Agustín Moyano
    G-SE (Exercise Sciences Resources)

Very good news guys,

I recevei a reply from hotmail filter dept adn my VPS was unblocked. I already test and message was delivered fine on hotmail INBOX.

I would like to say a special thanks for mylinear. Mylinear gave me the way of the rocks. Thanks a lot Mylinear.

Hotmail support told me:

"I am pleased to inform you that we have taken steps to implement a temporary mitigation to your mail delivery problem. The mitigation will take 24-48 hours to fully reflect in our system.

During the mitigation period your emails should not experience any issues arriving in Hotmail customer's inboxes. This period will also give our filters sufficient time to learn enough about your mailing practices that after the mitigation expires your mails shouldn't any issues with arriving in our Hotmail customer's inboxes. Hotmail has created group of programs that should benefit your mailings during this time. To help avoid future issues I would strongly suggest enrolling-in or implementing these if you have not already ..."

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by mamoyano View Post
    Dear Danny_G,

Could you write an example of specific SPF?. Mine is:
    v=spf1 a mx ptr ip4:207.210.86.165 mx:mail.sobreentrenamiento.com ip4:200.61.160.241 +all

Do you think it is generic or specific?
    Quoting from the SPF record syntax (http://www.openspf.org/SPF_Record_Syntax):

+all The domain owner thinks that SPF is useless and/or doesn't care.

I think you may want to at least change that to ~all, if not -all.

I'd also suggest you can reduce it to:

v=spf1 ip4:207.210.86.165 ip4:200.61.160.241 -all

You already list the IP explicitly, so you don't need to add the "a", "mx", "ptr" or "mx:mail.sobreentrenamiento.com" entries - duplicating the same information is bad

You also want to publish a record for mail.sobreentrenamiento.com that reads:

v=spf1 ip4:207.210.86.165 ip4:200.61.160.241 -all

More help available on the spf-users mailing list
    I think the server saw what was required of it and just committed suicide instead.

Dear HoundOfTheSmith,

Thank you for your help, but I am still confused.

* My VPS has the ip 207.210.86.165 (I have my Mail Server (MailEnable) installed there, and I send and receive email throught it),
    * My local machine has the public ip: 200.61.160.241 (I have my email client there, Outlook), and
    * I allow people of my staff access to WebMail. But I can not detect their IPs because here, in Argentina, most ISPs gives you dinamics IPs...

What do you think, what should be the best SPF record for me?

Thank you.

Mario.
    Mario Agustín Moyano

You'll get better advice on the SPF mailing list, however... If *all* outbound email from your domain is routed through your VPS (regardless of whether people use Outlook or Webmail), then your record should look something like:

v=spf1 ip4:207.210.86.165 -all
    I think the server saw what was required of it and just committed suicide instead.

HoundOfTheSmith,

I have learnt a lot. I've just set "v=spf1 ip4:207.210.86.165 -all" in TXT record and my emails started to go directly to inbox at Hotmail's...
    Incredible but real.

Thank you very much. I appreciate a lot your help.
    Best Regards.

Mario.
    Mario Agustín Moyano

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast