32 Bit or 64 Bit OS

Hi,

My server CPU is Xeon 3220. Web server runs Apache and MySQL.

Presently use CentOS 32 bit.

Using CentOS 64 bit on the server improve performance ? If yes, how much ?

Thanks,

Yujin

Perhaps it will improve it a bit, however using a 64bit operating system will allow you to use more than 4GB of RAM, which is the main reason people use it instead of 32bit versions which can't use more than 4GB without certain tweaks.

I have got more than 40 64 bit servers. From Athlon 64s to harpertowns. I see that people tend to stay away from 64 bit oses. I don't know why. From the first day when I had a proper 64bit cpu and a proper 64 bit os about 4 years ago I switched to 64 bit and never looked back.
    Performance wise I see no difference at all. But this is future we have to expand. I have got 4 gb ram servers 6 8 even 12 Gb ram servers. No problem.
    But this is all for linux
    On windows 64 bit equals trouble..

Quote Originally Posted by sHuKKo View Post
    Performance wise I see no difference at all.
    I thought database should take the advantage of it but based on your experience, MySQL no speed gain?

But, seem like most control panel is not very stable with 64bit OSes.

That's why people stay with 32bit for now.
    <<please see forum rules for signature formatting guidelines>>

If it is an Intel processor, they're really 32 bit processors that can handle 64 bit, so they're ore efficient running with 32 bit OSes and applications. The issue is, when you go to 4GB+ of RAM, you'd need to run a PAE kernel, which will add it's own inefficiencies. From what I can tell then, I'd recommend going with a 32 bit OS for less than 4GB of RAM with an Intel processor and 64 bit for 4GB+. With the AMD's, which are true 64 bit processors, which does not mean they're better, go with the 64 bit OS.

I have not seen any major compatibility issues at all with 64 bit OSes and control panels in at least the past year, so I don't really believe that is much of an issue anymore.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

And your justification for this is ... ?

Unless of course that was a throwaway gratuitious comment based on personal bias.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
    Perhaps it will improve it a bit, however using a 64bit operating system will allow you to use more than 4GB of RAM, which is the main reason people use it instead of 32bit versions which can't use more than 4GB without certain tweaks.
    Hell my 32bit FreeBSD box cant use more than 3GB.
    << Please see the Rules page. >>

Quote Originally Posted by HKPlane View Post
    I thought database should take the advantage of it but based on your experience, MySQL no speed gain?
    According to my experience every each of home made custom php mysql code can be optimized. I see that my customers who coded their own php mysql scripts tend to forget mysql close statements etc. All these effect server performance. A custom my.cnf needed for each server. I never did any specific performance test for 32bit vs 64 bit mysql performance so I can't say anything about that.
    All I can say is I am using 64 bit and have no problem at all.

But, seem like most control panel is not very stable with 64bit OSes.

That's why people stay with 32bit for now.
    Today 04:57 AM
    I am using centos 4.x or 5.x with DirectAdmin.
    DirectAdmin control panel have zero issues working on 64 bit.
    I guess other control panel programmers are too lazy porting their code to 64 bit. DirectAdmin with centos 64 bit no problem at all again.

And your justification for this is ... ?

Unless of course that was a throwaway gratuitious comment based on personal bias.
    Yes this is completely personal. I am mainly administering linux servers. I have got only few windows servers. And whenever I tried 64 bit windows on any of my servers or personal computers there were always driver problems. And I have got some custom coded windows applications not working on windows 64 bits etc. Maybe if I were a standart desktop user and not using custom coded stuff or geeky hardware on my servers and desktop then again maybe 64 bit windows is ok for me.
    But for this time sorry I say no to windows 64 bit on any of my hardware.

One thing I learned about Windows x64 is that non-paged pool memory issues are a thing of the past. On x86 this was limited to 256MB of RAM no matter how much you had, under x64 the limit is 128GB.
    Last edited by TheWiseOne; 02-18-2008 at 03:22 PM.
    Matt Ayres - togglebox.com
    Linux and Windows Cloud Virtual Datacenters powered by Onapp / Xen
    Instant Setup, Instant Scalability, Full Lifecycle Hosting Solutions

www.togglebox.com