Dedicated vs Dedicated Managed AND Dedicated vs Virtual

Hi there

I posted a question over a week ago on WHT and I've received a lot of great feedback which brings me to my next question.

First a bit of background - I have been leasing a server with Alabanza for 7 years and I've been really happy with the service. After the company was take over by another firm, I am considering a server move. I have spent a week looking at that options for a new dedicated fully managed server and narrowed it down to 2 potential companies that could be an option for me.

BUT after all the research I have done this week I am wondering :-

1. Could I possbly manage the server myself - do I really need a managed server ? I'm not highly technical but how much technical experience do you need to manage your own server? From one of the responses I received from a potential dedicated server company, they said they have software that will allow me to monitor my server performance, and do backups etc. If there is software that I can use - ie. WYSIWYG
    type software that doesn't require programming etc maybe I could manage the server myself OR is there a lot more to it than that. I would be interested to hear from anyone managing their own server to find out what technical experience or skills would be required. NOTE: Hosting is not our core service at the moment, we also offer design and printing services so I personally don't want to get too involved in all the tech side of hosting but I would be happy to get a bit more involved.

2. I was also looking for a dedicated server because this is what I have had for the last 7 years but from my recent research it seems that virutal servers are quite popular. Should I consider virtual instead of dedicated ? What are the pros and cons of each one. It's all very new to me so any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Dee

Simple terms:

Pros VPS: Cheaper
    Cons: You don't have total control, hardware is shared.

Shared hosting > VPS hosting > Dedicated Hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by vipeax View Post
    Simple terms:

Pros VPS: Cheaper
    Cons: You don't have total control, hardware is shared.

Shared hosting > VPS hosting > Dedicated Hosting.
    not trying to be the grammar police, but don't you mean

Shared hosting < VPS hosting < Dedicated Hosting
    Cybercon.com Elite Tier 1 Web Hosting and Managed Services
    www.Cybercon.com
    Supreme Service - Flexible Pricing
    Advanced Hardware - Complete Security

Thanks, lol... can't edit it anymore.