CPU usage problem

Good day my friends ,

Recently i have received below email from my hosting company:

Hello,
    Upon a recent check on our ogma server, we have been forced to disable your script . This script is the main source for a the high resource consumption caused by your account; whilst we believe that 1% for CPU and memory are acceptable averages for a shared environment, your accounts averages are much higher, with 4% for CPU, 5% for memory and a very intensive MySQL activity. Please have a closer look into reducing these in order to have the script re-enabled, otherwise please consider upgrading to one of our VPS packages or a dedicated server, as these are better suited for such intensive account.
    Thank you for your attention on this important matter.

My site now is 3GB storage and the bandwidth until today is 35GB

I don't know why my site is making load on their servers !!

Any way i need your help and advices to find a new hosting company as soon as possible

Thanks and regards,
    lio45

Hello,

Well the first question for you is what type of control panel are you currently using? If your currently using cpanel you shouldn't have any issues moving to most other hosting providers.

If you're using a script that is using an excessive amount of resources, moving to another host might not solve the problem (depending on how excessive that usage is). Ideally, you should look into why this is happening and correct the situation.

This is my site www.3bsy.com

it's for uploading and sharing files and pictures.

The problem is i can't go for dedicated server or VPS because it costs too much.

Who can help me with flexible hosting company gives more CPU usage ?

Many thanks

You are going to be chasing around from host to host to host, as each tells you your site is too intensive and needs a dedicated environment. Finding a new shared host is not going to fix the problem. The problem will still be present at the new host.

What your host has told you is not out of line. It is time to upgrade to a dedicated platform (either VPS or dedicated server).

If you can't afford to upgrade, with 35 GB worth of traffic, then it's time to rework your monetization scheme. Your business plan is flawed. If you can't afford the cost to run the site, then you can't afford to run the site, period. Why should the host carry the costs of your site? Real costs are real costs. It's only fair that you should have to pay your fair share, just like all of us have had to pay our fair share over the years. (And when we couldn't afford it, we took our sites offline, it really is as simple as that.)

This is budget and economics 101. I don't wish to sound mean these are just the hard facts of web hosting. There are good sized bills to go along with it when you run resource-intensive scripts. As your site grows, it's only going to get worse... no time like the present to rework the monetary side of things.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by bithost(NET) View Post
    You are going to be chasing around from host to host to host, as each tells you your site is too intensive and needs a dedicated environment. Finding a new shared host is not going to fix the problem. The problem will still be present at the new host.
    You sure about that? The guy's only using 4-5% CPU/RAM. That's nothing.

Most hosts let you get away with 25% CPU/RAM usage, so my suggestion to you would be to find a more reputable hosting provider, and you aren't quite big enough for semi-dedicated, VPS, or dedicated yet.

You should be looking at a $10-30 price range to meet your needs.

Also, consider optimizing your scripts/site if you haven't done so already.

The guy's only using 4-5% CPU/RAM. That's nothing.
    I wouldn't call that nothing. It's 1/25-1/20 of the server's capacity. How much of an issue this is depends a lot on how much he's paying.

Most hosts let you get away with 25% CPU/RAM usage
    Spikes maybe, but the host was apparently taking about average usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixago View Post
    You sure about that? The guy's only using 4-5% CPU/RAM. That's nothing.
    Actually, 5% is a fairly common cap for shared hosting.
    ██ UBERHOST
    NEXT GENERATION HOSTING
    Managed dedicated & shared hosting

You aren't going to consistently use 25% of a shared server's capacity unless you pay for semi-dedicated hosting. I have no idea what you're basing statements such as "Most hosts let you get away with 25% CPU/RAM usage" on, but I'm betting it's not much.

I think Ryan that you will agree that this is also ridiculous :

...whilst we believe that 1% for CPU and memory are acceptable averages for a shared environment, ...

Which webhoster was that? BlueHost?

Whois for 3bsy show that it is Lunarpages!

If you're using a script that you've purchased, you could try contacting the script author to ask about tuning it for better performance. Otherwise, I do think you'll end up with a VPS. You see, it's not just a question of bandwidth and disk space, but how much of the server's CPU your script uses.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    I wouldn't call that nothing. It's 1/25-1/20 of the server's capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by uberhostNET View Post
    Actually, 5% is a fairly common cap for shared hosting.
    Wow, I'd hate to see where you guys host then. I guess if your host is running entry-level servers, then 5% is pretty high. 10% on a server should not be a problem though. Higher than that and you could _consider_ a more dedicated solution, but you're still in a somewhat safe zone with those numbers.

I'm more interested in where you host, actually.

You said you have a Media Temple plan in another thread, which is very much a unique offering: 1000 GPUs is 10% of a CPU for a whole month, although the type of CPU is not disclosed (could be low-end, could be high-end).

To expect to consistently use 10% of a CPU on regular shared hosting is crazy. No matter what CPU you use, if you had 10 guys on that server using up 10% of the CPU all the time then the CPU would be under 100% load and thus the capacity of the server would be 10 people. 10% is 10%.

As I'm sure you know, most hosts put at least hundreds of people on shared servers, and sometimes thousands. While most will let you get away with spikes of temporary higher usage, once it starts affecting other people or compromising their ability to squeeze their target amount of people onto the server you're going to be axed. If anything, a host will try to put more people onto a higher-spec machine rather than just give each person more resources.

Wow, I'd hate to see where you guys host then. I guess if your host is running entry-level servers, then 5% is pretty high. 10% on a server should not be a problem though. Higher than that and you could _consider_ a more dedicated solution, but you're still in a somewhat safe zone with those numbers.
    It has nothing to do with the size of the server, the actual determining factor is how many accounts are on the server. If you have a big shared box running 1200 sites, there is no way a host can allow more than 5% CPU utilization by an account, let alone 10% (whatever the time frame) ... think about it.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

No, you're talking about consistent use of a server resources. Assuming a fairly high end server (dual Xeon, 4GB ram or so), using 5% consistently is pretty high. If you're only paying 10 bucks a month, and using 5% of the server's allocated resources is definitely disproportionate. If the server's capacity was at full (100%), it would only support 20 clients. If you think the server costs don't exceed $200 bucks a month, you're crazy.

I have no idea where you're going the 25% figure, but I suspect you're thinking about spikes. Consistent 25% CPU usage is pretty high end semi-dedicated.

No, you're talking about consistent use of a server resources. Assuming a fairly high end server (dual Xeon, 4GB ram or so), using 5% consistently is pretty high. If you're only paying 10 bucks a month, and using 5% of the server's allocated resources is definitely disproportionate. If the server's capacity was at full (100%), it would only support 20 clients. If you think the server costs don't exceed $200 bucks a month, you're crazy.

I have no idea where you're going the 25% figure, but I suspect you're thinking about spikes. Consistent 25% CPU usage is pretty high end semi-dedicated.
    That's perfectly correct - 25% of a quad core server would pretty much be the same as a very high end VPS system.

I think what he means is 20 people (assuming it's constant load) on lower-ended server systems and I do mean -really- low ended servers, but most web hosts don't follow that route.
    http://www.rskeens.com
    A casual blog mainly about the web hosting industry

I think you can optimize the scripts, optimize the algorithm and database stuff.
    If your scripts do need 5% CPU resource, I'd suggest go with a VPS. Cheap VPS isn't much more expensive than shared plans.

I guess if your host is running entry-level servers, then 5% is pretty high.
    Sounds like someone is running on entry-level knowledge.
    ██ UBERHOST
    NEXT GENERATION HOSTING
    Managed dedicated & shared hosting