Question VPS For Shared Hosting?

I know dedicated server is the best way for it.. but i have a few questions about this,

1. can i use vps for shared hosting to create user, reseller, sell to poeple?.. just like i have a dedi.. server

2. if Yes for the answer number 1, please recommended me about the spesification (CPU, RAM, Etc)

3. Depending on question number 2, how much website to host into a vps let say these websites have page views 10.000 - 100.000 /day,

Sorry for my english,
    Please advice me.. Thank You
    Last edited by Metallian; 01-06-2008 at 06:54 AM.

Yes, you an use it to provide shared and resller hosting. It has minimal differences from a user perspective to a dedicated server.

I think you should look for a VPS plan with a least 512mb dedicated RAM, particularly if you are going to run cPanel on the VPS. Some "hybrid" plans provide 1gb dedicated RAM, which is even better

Again, similar to a dedicated server, It would really depend on the specs as to how many sites you will be able to host.
    Web Hosting Plus
    Premium Australian Web Hosting

Thank you SSHocker,

Any opinion again??...

Quote Originally Posted by BoerChick View Post
    Thank you SSHocker,

Any opinion again??...
    Opinion regarding ?
    Web Hosting Plus
    Premium Australian Web Hosting

Nope, maybe somebody else...

It's hard to say, you can have a VPS serving 50 page views a day with very intensive scripts in the backend slowing it down, or a VPS serving 250,000 page views a day serving nothing but static HTML and running just as quickly.

What I think you should do is find a provider who offers a range of plans and the ability to upgrade anytime 24x7 instantly, so if you do suffer resource shortages you can be upgraded very quickly. Alternatively, you could describe your requirements in much greater detail and maybe we can help further.
    Andrew Cranson, Director of Operations
    Layershift Fully Managed Cloud Hosting :: WizzVPS Cheap Unmanaged VPS
    Jelastic :: Next generation PaaS :: Cloud Hosting
    True 24x7 Technical Support - peace of mind around the clock! UK, USA, Singapore server locations.

If you're running cPanel/WHM, you'll need a minimum of 512mb dedicated RAM, but if DirectAdmin, even 256mb is enough, we have clients running DA at 200mb memory, but cPanel is about 360mb. So yes, it is perfectly possible to run shared hosting through a VPS setup.
    Afterburst - the best unmetered VPS - read why here!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBytes View Post
    If you're running cPanel/WHM, you'll need a minimum of 512mb dedicated RAM,
    Yes, control panel i choose is cpanel,
    but if DirectAdmin, even 256mb is enough, we have clients running DA at 200mb memory,setup
    How much websites?... and average hits/month

Thank You very much

VPS hosting will allow to to use more server resources because you will get your own section of the server and not share it with anyone else. You can also set up your own mail server and other software as you wish.

Ok.. thank you verymuch

Functionality-wise, you can do it. Don't skimp out on the resources though. With cPanel, you'll need as much you can get, especially if you want to host other people.

If you plan to use cPanel I'd also advise you to have at least 512mb if you plan to resell it to customers. You can always upgrade your VPS plan if you start running out of resources/start having performance issues.

Off topic: South African by any chance?

If you are going to get the VPS for Shared hosting, I would strongly recommend starting out with a vps that has ATLEAST 512mb of guaranteed ram. You can always upgrade to the next level.

cPanel requires 256mb - which leaves little room for your shared hosting customers.

okay, what about cpu share, what do you recommended?, equal share or what?... thank you..

Equal share is generally the best route, as otherwise you'll have to fight with load issues in most cases.
    Ryan G.

Equal share has its pluses.. On the same time, given X mhz of CPU usage might be better.

Say you get put onto a server that is "Equal Share" between 20 other VPS's - for the sake of argument the server is a quad core, dual xeon 2.0ghz - the server has a total 'processing' power of 16ghz or 16000mhz. Equal share would give you about 800mhz worth of cpu power. Where as the same plan on a cpu limit may give you more or less cpu power.

Talk to your host (or future host) prior to getting the server. Just so you know what you are getting into before you find out its not what you wanted

Robert