Thread: PSD Help!

Exclamation PSD Help!

Hello,

I just payed for a bunch of .psd templates, but I don't know how to use them. Can someone help me with how to use them as a web site and edit with Photo Shop? I don't know how to make these templates where I can use them as my site.

Thanks!

Well, let's start with the obvious question - do you own Photoshop?
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Well to edit them your going to need photoshop. With that you would need to edit the layers and stuff with the text. I also think you need to have some one code it for you.
    Sorry i would try to type more but i broke my arm so its hard...
    Try looking around these forums though i have seen many people offering coding services.

I have photo shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Nectarware View Post
    Well to edit them your going to need photoshop. With that you would need to edit the layers and stuff with the text. I also think you need to have some one code it for you.
    Sorry i would try to type more but i broke my arm so its hard...
    Try looking around these forums though i have seen many people offering coding services.

Thanks, Ill look around. P.S. sorry about your arm.

the psd is a graphical blueprint of the site. You will need to know photoshop firstly there are some decent sites around with tutorials on how to slice .psd so you can use the graphics on a website, then you will need to know how to code the slices to make the website using the colours and graphics from the .psd template.
    Basically you will probably only use the main graphics from the .psd the text is applied during coding unless it is graphical text, and the same with the colours of backgrounds etc. As I said your first main goal is slicing in photoshop.
    Good Luck
    Filefeed.net - Image Hosting -

First: Never buy something you have "Case and Point" knowledge of.

Next, you need to modify the templates to your needs, slice them, and code them.
    w3schools.com to learn how to code xhtml/css.

Okay, thanks everyone. I know a little on coding and I learn fast. I bought these templates for like 0.98 USD, so I thought I can pay very little and use them to my advantage. I may search for someone willing to code it for me. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DanielWTJ View Post
    i must admit, very good tutorial...

Okay, thanks everyone. I know a little on coding and I learn fast. I bought these templates for like 0.98 USD, so I thought I can pay very little and use them to my advantage. I may search for someone willing to code it for me. Thanks!
    Another thing you might want to think about is the nature in which these have been sold.?
    Last thing you want is to spend time on them only to discover that they and their graphics are already owned by someone who has paid for the full rights.?
    98c seems mighty cheap for someones work don't you think.?
    Filefeed.net - Image Hosting -

Quote Originally Posted by killapix View Post
    Another thing you might want to think about is the nature in which these have been sold.?
    Last thing you want is to spend time on them only to discover that they and their graphics are already owned by someone who has paid for the full rights.?
    98c seems mighty cheap for someones work don't you think.?

Yes, I bought it off of Ebay, the guy said I have the right to use them, but not resell.

Here is a good video on slicing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DVfxe4pqvo8&feature=user

Quote Originally Posted by okihost View Post
    This is a great tutorial! Now, I am set to start my site w/photo shop. I used a default template and it works great! Thanks!

Well that's 20minutes of my life that I won't get back. Ok, what this tutorial does not tell you, is that the HTML exported is far from ideal. By that, I simply mean the default exported HTML will not qualify as a "functional HTML file" if you take into consideration the numerous accessibility checkpoints. These are required not just by moral obligation, but by by law.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia.com
    Inaccessible technology interferes with an individual's ability to obtain and use information quickly and easily. Section 508 was enacted to eliminate barriers in information technology, to make available new opportunities for people with disabilities, and to encourage development of technologies that will help achieve these goals.
    Other countries implemented this not long after the US, in the US it's section 508, in the UK it's Sect III of the DDA etc. The default file exported will not "make your website work". Unfortunately, there's no 'quick way' to learn, slice & export your site without at least fundamental knowledge of HTML & arguably CSS.

So, where do you start? www.w3schools.com is an excellent place as far as free resources go. However, I would always primarily suggest buying a book.

And old saying rings true, if you're not going to do it properly, there's no point in doing it at all. In which case, you would probably hire someone.

Oh, the tutorial also covers optimization, it's funny how the narrator never mentioned anything about optimizing the HTML product, or even went into any depth in that side at all. Anyone with even a little bit of knowledge in web development, will tell you a lot of optimization can take place right there, since many a time you can remove the need for images simply by using CSS. Manually slicing and exporting achieves much better end results, in my professional experience.

In my humble opinion, the best advice you will ever recieve: Buy a book. You can always ask what you don't get to be explained in web dev communities, there's loads out there

HTH.
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company