* XEN or Virtuozzo ( inodes )

VPS with Virtuozzo Power Panel always have an upper Inodes limit in terms of resources,
    whereas, i came to know that VPS operating on XEN, do not have any Inodes limit defined.

Kindly throw some light on this issue,

How many inodes can be extended in XEN VPS and what are short comings of XEN over VZPP Panel

Don't be confused, Virtuozzo and Xen are the technologies behind VPS's. VZPP is the control panel included with Virtuozzo, Xen does not include a control panel from what I understand.

Not having an inode limit to me just looks like it would cause problems with disk I/O in a shared server environment such as VPS's.

Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx View Post
    Don't be confused, Virtuozzo and Xen are the technologies behind VPS's. VZPP is the control panel included with Virtuozzo, Xen does not include a control panel from what I understand.

Not having an inode limit to me just looks like it would cause problems with disk I/O in a shared server environment such as VPS's.
    I guess you are confused , i know that Virtuozzo and Xen are the technologies behind VPS's.

I have never read that "Not having an inode limit to me just looks like it would cause problems with disk I/O in a shared server environment such as VPS's."

Anyways, lets wait for some experienced person to reply here with exact details.

PS - Also let me know, some good VPS providers with give XEN environment with Direct Admin VPS's

PS - Also let me know, some good VPS providers with give XEN environment with Direct Admin VPS's
    www.myvpshost.com offers exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    www.myvpshost.com offers exactly that.
    I feel there are worst VPS provider on Earth , i really have had bad experience with them few years back and even my referalls are suffering with them , so i prefer to pass.

PS - Looking for suggestions on providers and How many inodes can be extended in XEN VPS ?

There is an inode limit in Xen, just run "df -i" to view it. The different between Virtuozzo and Xen with inodes is that with Virtuozzo the inodes are a config variable only and can be changed independently of the disk space whereas with Xen it is based on the partition size so to upgrade inodes you have to upgrade disk space.
    Matt Ayres - togglebox.com
    Linux and Windows Cloud Virtual Datacenters powered by Onapp / Xen
    Instant Setup, Instant Scalability, Full Lifecycle Hosting Solutions

www.togglebox.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheWiseOne View Post
    There is an inode limit in Xen, just run "df -i" to view it. The different between Virtuozzo and Xen with inodes is that with Virtuozzo the inodes are a config variable only and can be changed independently of the disk space whereas with Xen it is based on the partition size so to upgrade inodes you have to upgrade disk space.

" Xen it is based on the partition size so to upgrade inodes you have to upgrade disk space " -> Can you please tell how many inodes will be available in 40 GB space, and what is ratio of Disk Space to Inodes Level ...

Quote Originally Posted by invisioni View Post
    I guess you are confused , i know that Virtuozzo and Xen are the technologies behind VPS's.

I have never read that "Not having an inode limit to me just looks like it would cause problems with disk I/O in a shared server environment such as VPS's."

Anyways, lets wait for some experienced person to reply here with exact details.

The reason I had said that is you were comparing Xen (a VPS technology) to VZPP (a control panel behind Virtuozzo), you must have meant to say Xen vs Virtuozzo.

Also, I have been selling VPS's for over a year so I'd think I am pretty experienced with these things, not having an Inode limit could allow any user to completely slow down the disk by loading it up with files. Disk I/O can all ready be a problem with VPS hosting, taking away an inode limit would just make it worse.
    Last edited by devonblzx; 12-23-2007 at 03:15 PM.

" Xen it is based on the partition size so to upgrade inodes you have to upgrade disk space " -> Can you please tell how many inodes will be available in 40 GB space, and what is ratio of Disk Space to Inodes Level ...

It varies on too many factors such as filesystem type and inode size.

www.togglebox.com

Can you please tell how many inodes will be available in 40 GB space, and what is ratio of Disk Space to Inodes Level ...
    Xen VPS is like a dedicated server where (in theory) you can format your partition to whatever file system you want. Therefore, (again in theory) you can mkfs your filesystem with a desirable number of inodes when the partition is first initialised. You should (also in theory) use whatever file systems that fit best to your access pattern.

HOWEVER, most Xen VPS providers will just give you the stock ext3 partition with the stock bytes-per-inode setting. It's 4096 by default for ext3 IIRC so you can work out how many inodes are there for 40GB space.

I know SliceHost allows you to boot up your VPS in a temporary partition, so you can format your VPS's main partition to whatever FS you want, so you can trade performance with more inodes if you happen to have many small files.

Talking Yes, Xen offers much more inodes...

Generally, Xen offers much more inodes in comparison with Virtuozzo or HyperVM. For example, a Virtuozzo VPS with 30GB of disk space have the default in many companies between 200,000 and 500,000 inodes (only Known Host, as I know, offers 2,600,000 inodes for that disk space with VZPP). For 30GB disk space HyperVM offers in generally 2,700,000 inodes. For the same 30GB Xen offers 30,000,000 disk inodes, according I verified. But VZPP is easy to use and Xen requires you are a sysadmin...but you will take complete control on your kernell (this is the principal Xen advantage).
    The-REV, OS/2 Guru
    http://macarloshark.com/
    Trusted Since 1997
    Blog: http://my.opera.com/The-REV/blog/

For a Xen VPS with a strong control panel, you might take a look at ProVPS.com. These guys are running a nice operation.

Quote Originally Posted by The-REV View Post
    Generally, Xen offers much more inodes in comparison with Virtuozzo or HyperVM. For example, a Virtuozzo VPS with 30GB of disk space have the default in many companies between 200,000 and 500,000 inodes (only Known Host, as I know, offers 2,600,000 inodes for that disk space with VZPP). For 30GB disk space HyperVM offers in generally 2,700,000 inodes. For the same 30GB Xen offers 30,000,000 disk inodes, according I verified. But VZPP is easy to use and Xen requires you are a sysadmin...but you will take complete control on your kernell (this is the principal Xen advantage).
    This is really in your limited experience. Using our plans as an example we provide 1M inodes with 10GB of disk and then go from there.

www.togglebox.com

Talking Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by TheWiseOne View Post
    This is really in your limited experience. Using our plans as an example we provide 1M inodes with 10GB of disk and then go from there.
    Folks, do you consider evaluations on 27 VPS providers "limited"? I'm talking about default disk inodes AVERAGE for VPS product in web hosting industry. If you are interested I'm one of the first VPS users in the world in our deceased and buried partner Featureprice, in Fort Lauderdale. If you offer 1M for 10GB you are an exception in VPS market and I'm very happy in send to you sincere congrats with great wishes for good deals on 2008! In the future I will evaluate your product for a honest review...

Happy Holidays!!
    The-REV, OS/2 Guru
    Trusted Since 1997

Talking Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by nickn View Post
    For a Xen VPS with a strong control panel, you might take a look at ProVPS.com. These guys are running a nice operation.
    Yeah, I just visited the website and Xen plans of this VPS provider appears really fine!! The only one problem I saw is just the most usual default for Xen providers: only one IP for each plan, since the entry level to the top. How does one set a decent nameservers config with this only one IP (yes, this it is possible but is no good). Thank you very much for your info about this provider. I just sent an email to it Sales Dept. in order to purchase a Xen if DA are available there + 4 IPs.

Merry Xmas!!
    The-REV, OS/2 Guru
    Trusted Since 1997

Quote Originally Posted by The-REV View Post
    How does one set a decent nameservers config with this only one IP (yes, this it is possible but is no good).
    One could easily argue that using an additional IP on the same box for DNS services violates the whole reason for requiring two name server IPs in the first place.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

Xen is the best!!Xen is a hyper visor virtual machine that runs multiple open-source operating systems.

If you need any help regarding the support, contact me