Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob A View Post
    Yeah i wont buy vista until SP1 comes out and fixes all the bugs.
    Same here. I Wouldn't Touch It With a 10 Foot Pole! lol

Quote Originally Posted by blackbox View Post
    I just do not have any need to install vista, xp works just fine. Like Jacob said.
    agree with u 100%

unfortunately i cann't do it on my new Sony Laptop :-( all drivers for this model, that are available for download on sony site are for VISTA :-(
    Your Health Encyclopedia
    Medical and health consumer information resources containing comprehensive and unbiased information in patient-friendly language

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I've used all three at once (frequently), as well as including Fireworks, Illustrator, Mozilla, WS_FTP, along with a pile of smaller programs (Trillian, Mailwasher, local IM, etc) all at once on XP without crashes.
    None.
    Maybe system specs have more to do with it than the programs? I have 2GB RDRAM and a 3.4 Intel processor. Maybe that's the difference.
    I'm sure it was something to do with the memory as the messages always contained references to memory. I've gotten a new computer since, that came preloaded with vista.

A slight downside I have to vista is that is reduces your battery time a little in comparison to XP, not a lot but on a laptop, every minute can be useful I guess.
    SupportPal - Smart self-hosted help desk software
    Supporting multiple channels, including Twitter and Facebook. WHMCS integration available.
    LicensePal - Discounted popular web hosting software licenses
    cPanel, InterWorx, SolusVM, CloudLinux, Blesta, Softaculous, Installatron, and much more!

Once you get accustom to Vista, XP seems ancient. At first I hated it, but now I love it.
    WebHostingReviews.com (Established 1999)
    Web Hosting Customers: Happy or unhappy with your host? Let others know on our web site.
    Web Hosting Companies: Drive traffic to your site by getting listed in ours.

In one way I prefer Vista over XP. I only wish more software were "Vista-safe".
    unfortunatly for me I use software that doesnt work so well on Vista.

Or maybe im not good enough to make em work?

What I would like to know is the % of users who have willingly gone out and *purchased* a copy of Vista on their own initiative.

I am pretty sure most people who are using it either got it pre-loaded on a new machine (in which case they didn't have much choice) or downloaded a cracked copy from torrents.

Quote Originally Posted by 3-rx View Post
    agree with u 100%

unfortunately i cann't do it on my new Sony Laptop :-( all drivers for this model, that are available for download on sony site are for VISTA :-(
    I just purchased an hp with vista pre. You can't load xp easily due to sata hd (xp can't see the hd to load). Although, there are methods to get it to work.

Another issue, as in your case, were the drivers. Sometimes you can download them directly from the maker of the parts instead of sony itself. Not saying this will work for you, just providing another option. Yea, it is a big deal... too many hoops for me, so I'll move over to vista before sp1. Not that it matters, I already have vista ultimate that I purchased when released, and it works great. Another tool... looks pretty, works well, no biggie to use it....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

I actively run 5 computers at my office with Vista and it works fine. We use Dream Weaver CS3, Creative Web, Photoshop CS3, Fireworks CS3 without troubles. I have not seen any troublesome errors.

I am a little troubled by the ones stating they won't purchase it until SP1 comes out. It works fine for us in our evaluation. Got to love Critics, some are too scared to evaluate the new when they are so used to the old. And yes we purchased Vista License for all the computers. They did not come with it.
    Atech St. Louis - Web Hosting - Website builder - 24/7 Support
    Dads In Distress - Dads helping Dads in Distress

Quote Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
    What I would like to know is the % of users who have willingly gone out and *purchased* a copy of Vista on their own initiative.

I am pretty sure most people who are using it either got it pre-loaded on a new machine (in which case they didn't have much choice) or downloaded a cracked copy from torrents.
    I actually bought a copy to be able to test our own made software on Vista.
    Reason I bought one instead of just buying acomputer with Vista preloaded was to be able ( by license agreement) to test it on different types of hardware.

I'd say the majority of the problems are relating to poor drivers or non at all and also software not being updated.

With drivers several hardware makers are notorious for not releasing fixes to bugs with their drivers. They also took ages to release drivers for XP on their older hardware just like whats going on with Vista now.

With software programs that were poorly made are now running into problems. Uses program files for storage of user data is not suppose to be happening and that was made clear when 2k was released. Yet there are still some out there that are doing it. The other issue is programs using OS functions that they were not suppose to be using 5 years ago and continue to use them. With Vista they started enforcing not using them due to the fact Vista is pushing security more so. So you end up with programs not working at all and just crashing. A lot of software has released fixes to most of this issues but some major software have not and I doubt they will. You'll see the update in the form of a new version that you must pay for.

A lot
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and Cloud Hosting
    PHP 5.2.x - PHP 8.1.X Support!

mrrb Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan - Limestone View Post
    When will Microsoft just admit that they failed and design a new operating system?

I hate vista, and everyone I know who has/had it has hated it a hundred times more than I do.

Does anyone here like it?

Do you think Microsoft's extending of XP's lifespan indicates the first step towards the fixing of this horrible mistake by them?

What are your thoughts on it?
    The extension of XP availablity does show that Microsoft is concerned over the lack of acceptance of Vista. Even the experts say there is real reason to be concerned. Considering that 94% of business computers in the USA cannot run Vista, I would say that Microsoft does have a reason to be concerned.

Is Vista going to be a short-lived as was ME?

MRRB
    vistasgottogo

I have vista home on my laptop and windows xp on my main computer. And i have to say i dont have a lot of problems on both of them. The only problem i have with vista is when i open a few programs it will get stuck. Overall i think its ok and nice and neat. Just takes a bit of time starting it up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mrrb View Post
    Is Vista going to be a short-lived as was ME?
    I dont believe so, the majority of issues I see out in the field are the various vertical apps that clients are running.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

The majority of issues people are having will be fixed in SP1, I don't think vista will take over most of the xp users, with vienna not to far ahead and it having the missing features that vista planned to have, will most likley make it the next xp. I have vista running on 1 computer the rest are xp, I haven't had any problems apart from one or two software not working as it would on xp, and the fact that its a resource hog.

Things may change when Server 2008 is released and Vista SP1, however I don't think it will have as many users as XP as there is no real need for the change for the comman user.

mrrb Guest
    "The only problem i have with vista is when i open a few programs it will get stuck" and "the fact that its a resource hog" - Both of these statements point to the amount of memory that is needed just to run Vista. I'm able to do much more with my laptop now that I'm utilizing readyboost to boost my one gig to almost 2 gig. What gets me is that manufacturers are selling "Vista capable" machines with only 512 mg memory- thats only enough to run Vista- nothing else! Buyer beware- look for Vista ready machines NOT Vista capable. Capable means that something else is needed in that computer in order for Vista to work well. Not very ethical marketing if you ask me.

Sue
    vistasgottogo
    Last edited by mrrb; 10-08-2007 at 12:11 PM. Reason: forgot something

Mrrb, what is "readyboost"?

Quote Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
    Mrrb, what is "readyboost"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Readyboost

I tryed vista, i then went back to windows xp. I whould move to Mac, if only exe's and stuff worked on there!

Quote Originally Posted by mrrb View Post
    What gets me is that manufacturers are selling "Vista capable" machines with only 512 mg memory- thats only enough to run Vista- nothing else! Buyer beware- look for Vista ready machines NOT Vista capable. Capable means that something else is needed in that computer in order for Vista to work well. Not very ethical marketing if you ask me.

Sue
    vistasgottogo
    Your statement makes sense... there has to be a change in marketing and consumers on the specifications of a "good" computer. People (consumers/best buy/dell/hp et al.) seem to be slowly getting the idea that the saying 512 of ram is good and 1 gb is better, is now 1 gb is ok and 2 gb is what you really need.

Is vista a hog? No, not really... it is progress. I keep watching as linux piles more stuff into builds like ubuntu... all OSs seem to be on the same mission... include as much stuff as possible.

But I like vista due to the way it handles drivers... five-year-old bluetooth usb device worked.. vista picked it up right away. Love that....

Well, to be honest, I don't like my Centrino Duo laptop to be as slow on Vista as my Pentium III on W98. In other words, progress sometimes just brings a lot of crap nobody wants but has to swallow anyway, because someone calls it progress. There is absolutely nothing in Vista I really need. I must say, I hardly had any trouble in getting all kinds of drivers running. But if mr Gates would have supported the 'obsolete' OS for a little while (XP that is, not W98), I wouldn't have had to migrate at all.

Quote Originally Posted by hekwu View Post
    <snap> Love that....
    That really is the only thing you can love. Perhaps you'd better buy a new bluetooth whatever, instead of a OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Host3000 View Post
    That really is the only thing you can love. Perhaps you'd better buy a new bluetooth whatever, instead of a OS.
    Your comment made no sense...

Quote Originally Posted by Host3000 View Post
    Well, to be honest, I don't like my Centrino Duo laptop to be as slow on Vista as my Pentium III on W98. In other words, progress sometimes just brings a lot of crap nobody wants but has to swallow anyway, because someone calls it progress. There is absolutely nothing in Vista I really need. I must say, I hardly had any trouble in getting all kinds of drivers running. But if mr Gates would have supported the 'obsolete' OS for a little while (XP that is, not W98), I wouldn't have had to migrate at all.
    You did not have to migrate, xp is supported until 2011 or something crazy like that. Heck, only last year did they stop support for windows 98. Your comments make no sense...

What are the specs of your laptop? I just got a centrino laptop the other week and it screems.... very fast. Did you remove all the bloatware dell/hp et al like to install on their laptops? That may be your issue... my laptop was slow until I removed all that crap.

I don't think vista brings a lot of crap no one needs or wants. You just don't sound happy... why don't you go back to xp... really is simple, you know?

A lot of people horror stories come from having hardware and software problems with vista. If you plan on upgrading to vista make sure all of your software, hardware are compatible with it (because a lot of it isn't.) Sure you can get software and hardware to work in vista if you know what your doing but it will crash more often or not all of the features will work.

Vista is an improvment over XP. But compatibility not so good with old hardware. (which is to be expected when you overhaul an OS.) In my opinion it will take at least 3 years for Vista to work smoothly.
    TemplateBasics - Basic web site templates.

the reason why microsoft is extending lifespan off xp is becuase they dont beleive in the vista themselfs or dont have 100% confidence in the product.

i upgraded my pc and laptop from xp pro to vista home basic, at times i think it was a bad mistake due to the on going problems i receive with applications crashing out or my wireless droping off the network.

but at the same time i prefer vista over xp as it looks alot better and is easier to work and orgainise with.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast