Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jury Guest

Exclamation

Looking for dedicated server with big/unlim. traffic for no more than $600/mo. Urgent! Please answer here or directly to email admin@softshape.com. Thank you.

Duster Guest

I've been looking at dedicated servers for months and haven;t seen a single one with unlimited bandwidth. It may be possible but I don't think you're going to find one. Using Dialtone Internet as a model (seems like a good company, including their prices), $225 gets you a dedicated server with 50 gbs of bandwidth. That leaves $375 lef tin your budget. At their rate of $3 per gb, you can get another 125 gb for a total of 175. I doubt if you'll do much better than that.

Matty Guest

I came across http://www.servervault.com they don't seem to have metered traffic as far as I can see. Also check out DN, after the 50gb mark it works out at only $3 per gig, which is great value for money. Also check out http://www.maxim.net for capped bandwidth.

Let us know what you find. http://216.167.56.224/forum/ubb/smile.gif

Duster Guest

I found another, RackSpace at http://www.rackspace.com/ It seems to be limited to RAQ servers, though, so be aware of that.

Duster Guest

Server Vault's bandwidth is not unmetered, though their web site lacks specifics. After checking out their site, I sent them an inquiry over the weekend about bandwidth. I received a reply today. Here it is, in its entirety:

Thanks for your message. We are currently re-vamping our site and it will provide the information that you mentioned.

Standard contracts get 50GB of throughput per month. Additional increments of 50GB can be purchased for and additional $150 per month. If it is a large amount of bandwidth that is needed, we can arrange price breaks.

I hope this answers your question. Please feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions about the service that ServerVault provides. I would love the opportunity to get your business.

Regards

Dave Waldack

============================
    David M. Waldack
    Director Operations/Sales
    ServerVault.com, Inc
    "Next Generation Web Hosting"
    703-333-5900 PHONE
    703-333-5907 FAX

Same pricing structure as DN. I doubt any co-location/dedicated server provider offers unmetered traffic. The closest I've seen recently is capped bandwidth like .5mbps where by you can not exceed that. I wonder how much Yahoo pays for bandwidth or the lines they have?

Thumbs up

Hi,

Check the Plan F Mega at http://www.kingwoodnet.com/plan_f.html
    They are verrrry fast.

Ok cost: Pay for 12 Months in advance $914.40 for fist charge, then $839.40 next 12 months.

You get your usual unlimited stuff etc....
    Bandwidth is 7000 MB a day, 196000MB per month (28 days).
    Go over, and pay $10 per 1000 MB.

They have lots of features....
    But the catch....read the TOS: http://www.kingwoodnet.com/legal/tos.html

um....they can charge you what they, close your site for however long they want.....

They are fast, but is it too good to be true?
    You decide.

Good Luck
    Abbas.

I have had no experience with this company.

However, and this applies to all hosting company, a 12 month contract can be dangerous especially when they request the funds upfront. If something were to go wrong, or they decide you violate TOS or their server degrades then your stuck really.

Also note, that the plan you listed is not a dedicated server but shared hosting.

Thumbs up

They have lots of features....
    >>But the catch....read the TOS: http://www.kingwoodnet.com/legal/tos.html

um....they can charge you what they, close your site for however long they want.....

They are fast, but is it too good to be true?
    You decide.<<

Hi,

As Administrator of Kingwood Net, I appreciate the positive posting in regards to our Plan F, that we are fast, and that our pricing is good.

I would however, like to adress the above 'quote'.

As with any hosting company, yes we do have a Terms of Service. That is to protect both the client and our company. That stands to reason, no big surprise there.

Kingwood Net does NOT 'charge what ever we want' and we do not 'close your site for however long they want'. Kingwood Net does not close an account without first notifying the Client via Email of a potential problem, giving them the opportunity to address any issues that are flagged according to our Terms of Service. However, sometimes immediate action may be required on our part to save a server from crashing due to a client abusing services. But even then, they are contacted.

If after that notification email, they do not attempt to contact us to resolve an issue (for example: excessive CPU Bandwidth, or mass mailings that hinder mail services to other clients, etc.), then yes...we may take action to protect our servers and our other Clients services. Let's be honest, with offerring an account like our Plan F...there ARE people out there that try to abuse it, thus hindering services to all clients. As long as the services are not abused, this is an EXCELLENT account to have.
    And YES, it is on a dedicated Server (sorry Admin, you are incorrect on that one http://216.167.56.224/forum/ubb/smile.gif)

Kingwood Net prides itself in personalized client support. We answer each email received personally! If someone emails our Inquiry department, they will get one auto-responder to verify that we did get the email. THEN they get a personalized email answering the inquiry.

If anyone wishes to speak to me directly concerning Plan F, or any of our hosting plans, feel free to call me at 281-354-9766. Or fax me at 281-354-9266. I would be happy to address any concerns with you.

Best Regards,

Kay Womack
    Kingwood Net http://www.kingwoodnet.com

[This message has been edited by KingwoodNet (edited 03-22-2000).]

Re: Also note, that the plan you listed is not a dedicated server but shared hosting.

What from what I can see, I am correct, unless you give everyone their own hardware (i.e. one physical server per client) then it is not a dedicated server plan, but rather shared hosting or a virtual server as your site states. I made the point out since the original poster was asking about dedicated servers and not virtual server.

Naturally, all hosting accounts are ultimately hosted on a server, however unless one client has full rights and exclusive use then it is a not a dedicated server package/plan.

hmmm.. 20%. There's nothing like the truth, and t Guest

Kathleen Guest

In regards to KingwoodNet they are a very dedicated company I currently host my site there. I've had great tech support and excellent customer service. For you to stand out there and say that you wouldn't host with them. You can't make a judgement till you know the facts. Try hosting a site with them and you will see you get the ultimate of everything. I recently hosted with Communitech. What a joke. Atleast with KingwoodNet you get personalized service. You aren't a support ticket! When signing up for a hosting account with any company you should clarify the TOS anyways. Just because the TOS is a bunch of legal jibberish to have it explained in writing from the company in plain old english is a tad different. And just because a hosting company is running on a dedicated server doesn't mean a thing. But one thing you do get with a small company on a dedicated server is the plain good old fashioned "CUSTOMER SERVICE" these large companies might have there resources, big fancy servers but they also have big oversized heads.

That's my two cents! I for one would chose KingwoodNet over Communitech, Verio, or any of those huge companies!!!

Client IP:208.178.204.123

Thumbs up

Credibility?
    Any one is more that welcome to speak to any of our clients for 'credibilty' of our company and policies. http://216.167.56.224/forum/ubb/smile.gif However,...

I would like to thank 'Duster' for pointing these things out. It is not our intention to mislead anyone or be contradictive, and you have brought some very good points to light. With this in mind, our Terms of Service is being revised while reviewing the issues that you have brought up. Again ...thank you, it sometimes helps to get anothers opinions and insight into what it is the CLIENTS are looking for. http://216.167.56.224/forum/ubb/smile.gif

And Admin, I appologize...I misunderstood what you were saying. Yes it is shared. http://216.167.56.224/forum/ubb/smile.gif

Kathleen,

With all due respect, you have missed EVERY single point I made. The only judgment I, or anyone that might be considering them, could or should be expected to make about them is based on what their web site says about them. I find it inadequate and deceitful, even if not intentionally so.

How could anyone clarify TOS if they are unaware of them in the first place because they are not disclosed?

Those of us who have been burned by any host have learned about them, but what about all the people looking for their first host? How are THEY supposed to know that the promised "unlimited" doesn't mean what every dictionary says unlimited is? They have yet to learn that "unlimited" is the web host bait and swindle buzz word.

How are they supposed to know that the TOS even EXIST when the TOS are hidden and not disclosed?

As far as the contract, I understood it, such as it is, and the gibberish IS in writing. How could anyone be expected to trust a company whose contract contradicts itself, is full of inaccuracies, and is unfair to boot? And that's assuming they even find it, which they won't unless they choose plan F. It doesn't matter if the company explained it if the written document is faulty. The contract has to be judged on its own merits or lack of them and any other interpretation is irrelevant.

Judging by everything THEY say about THEMSELVES, no reasonable person, especially one who has already had some encounters with bad hosts, would consider them.

You didn't say how long you have been with them, so your praise is near worthless. Many terrible companies can seem satisfactory for a short while. Over time, however, the truth comes out.

Read the Kingwood response after your remarks. It may very well be that they give more thought to servicing their customers than accurately describing their services and policies. Perhaps they will learn that you don't distinguish yourself from the crowd by being a follower. If their service is truly as good as they and you claim, perhaps the revisions to their web site will describe it accurately.

To Kingwood (and other hosts - PAY ATTENTION)
    I have comments all over this site about the proper way to do business. Those companies who care to do better would do well to read them. The charlatans and swindlers won't care, and my remarks are not addressed to them. Here are several tips from the perspective of users (the ones who pay your bills).

TELL THE TRUTH. TELL THE TRUTH (repeated for those who weren't paying attention the first time). That includes, but is not limited to, throwing out the hyperbole and lies. Let's face it, when you call a limited resource "unlimited" it's a lie. No iffs, ands, buts, (or references to the TOS). IT'S A LIE!

Instead, you could advertise REASONABLE limits, define what they are, and explain why most companies don't really mean unlimited (at least with things like bandwidth) and what usually happens when you hit the very real limits (usually, disabling of hte account).

You will find that new users as well as those who have had experiences with bad hosts (you know, the ones that advertise UNLIMITED), will feel more confident about your company "Finally, a company that tells the truth and doesn't treat me like an idiot!")

That confidence can be enhanced if you:
    1. Disclose all TOS right up front, on or linked to the hosting plans, and acknowledgnment of reading them is required in signing up online.

2. Have a written and disclosed plan for upgrading customers if they exceed the limits which you have already defined and explained to them. Do this without disabling their account. What many of you fail to realize is that you penalize some sites for their popularity. Site administrators may not know that their site has grown in poularity and is consuming more than the share of resources YOU expected and allocated. What you call abusing your plans is actually unexpected success and popularity. How do many of you reward the results of those efforts? Cripple the account. That makes us go on to the next host as we sure don't want to leave our site hosting in your hands any longer.

Just imagine if you have a plan to accommodate our growth instead, and we grow with you! For those companies that have dedicated servers as well as shared servers, you could have an upgrade plan to accomodate any growth. You can very well have customers that may start on a shared server and may eventually graduate to a dedicated server. Take care of them every step of the way and they may stay with you every step of the way, especially if your prices, and more importantly, value, is reasonable and fair at every step.

2. Make the TOS fair to users and not one sided. Any reasonable business arrangement must be equitable, and many host TOS are far from equitable. See some of the above comments for a start. TOS (like Kingwood's) hardly inspire condidence or trust when they say (from a user's perspective) "if your site gets popular and exceeds its share of resources (you didn't really think we meant unlimited when we said unlimited, did you?), we can shut it down, charge you $250 for our trouble, and you get no refunds"

I could go on, and I won't. I usually get paid for business development. The web sites I have created for both wholesale and retail businesses have done very well because of honesty, disclosure, and information. Many are noted for their wealth of information and distinguish themselves from other sites on the same subject. I simply followed the course set by my own site and did not mimic others (they just set bad examples, or good examples of what not to do). Web hosting companies with the right attitude could do the same in their field.

[This message has been edited by Duster (edited 03-25-2000).]

Kingwood,

Here's another perspective from a customer's point of view. Your suggestion to contact any of your customers as a reference has no value, and the reason is one shared with probably all other hosting companies. It also applies to testimonials published on a host's site.

People who are no longer customers or who have complaints will not be included. That makes any supposed references stacked in your favor and even more unbalanced than the typical TOS.

Hearing only from satisfied customers or reading testimonials (even assuming they are genuine) says little. Any company can have a few "cheerleaders". One can learn more from the ones who have had problems, and seeing how those problems have been dealt with.

Many software programs (all the ones I use on my site) have support forums where comments are not removed (except by the person who made them) and nothing is covered up.

On my own site (I do web site creation and hosting for a small number of small to medium size businesses) I have a forum for clients and I do not edit it at all. I have not had any less than supportive comments because of my level of service. Even if there were any (unlikely), I would respond to them, not remove them.

Once the joy of getting one's site on the Internet for the first time has been dimmed by experiences with a bad host (or two), one learns what a load of deceit and lies are found on many host sites.

I commend you for seeming to be better in practice than your site suggests. However, judging by your site (which is all one could do initially), any reasonable person would conclude that your company is like too many others (and that's not a compliment). You will need to overhaul more than just your site to change the first impression anyone gets about your company.

[This message has been edited by Duster (edited 03-25-2000).]

There's nothing like the truth, and that's what you find in this contract, nothing like the truth. It's another example of a hosting company that should look up the word "unlimited" in a dictionary and stop attempting to redefine it. They are as believable as Bill Clinton when he tried to redefine sex as not being sex.

There is also a big difference in stating here that customers would be notified if they went over their share of resources and stating it in a contract. In the contract, it says that Kingwood.net "may also at its discretion at any time, suspend access to any client's website and/or charge the client for any excessive bandwidth usage without notice, " In the next sentence, it does say "Kingwood Net™ agrees to notify Client immediately of its refusal of the material and/or suspension of the account and afford Client the opportunity to amend or modify the material to satisfy the needs and/or requirements of Kingwood Net™.

Double talk and contradictory terms. It has other errors not affecting service. Minors have no rights to engage in contracts and you cannot give them those rights by saying they acknowledge permission of their guardian.

While I appreciate the concerns of a hosting company, especially on shared servers, this contract and TOS is a bit unbalanced and unfair in its treatment of customers. It is certainly not the only company that is, and is but a drop in an ocean of mediocrity and shoddy service. I'll bet the TOS are buried on the site and are not openly disclosed in the plans that are advertised to attract new business. That's the way of many companies. Looking for the TOS is the equivalent of reading the fine print, though at least with fine print you know it's there. That's not tue of the TOS and its a sleazy trick to hide it by not making reference to it.

In fact, I just checked their site and only plan F has a link at the bottom that says to read the TOS before orfering. None of the others have it, so I win that bet by the preponderance of evidence. It says unlimited bandwidth, which makes me question if they really mean it, or if they shut you off when you hit the undisclosed limits.

Here's a novel idea for you hosting companies, TELL THE TRUTH! DON'T HIDE IT! Stop advertising false unlimited resources and advertise reasonable limits.

Have a plan (other than shutting them off) for sites that get busy and grow beyond their share of resources on a shared server. This can include moving their accounts to shared servers with a limited number of domains on them (even if at higher cost), and letting them know that before they sign up.

Personally, I find Kingwood fails the credibility test and I would never consider them. I've had experiences with similar companies and had similar treatment (shut down without notice). Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

There's just an index listing at kingwoodnet.com

Holy one year later Bat Man!
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

ANOTHER year later and the domain kingwoodnet.com expired on September 28th 2001

Originally posted by Jury
    Looking for dedicated server with big/unlim. traffic for no more than $600/mo. Urgent! Please answer here or directly to email admin@softshape.com. Thank you.
    While you obviously won't get unlimited bandwidth (there is simply no such thing), the closest you will get to that is a Compaq server from Rackshack with an unmetered 10mbps pipe. The cost is $399 a month plus $99 setup. It's all Cogent bandwidth.
    Hostit365.com - Reliable Web Hosting with magical support
    cPanel #1 Web Hosting Control Panel Included
    WHT members benefit from our industry leading 60 day money back guarantee with no small print
    Now accepting PayPal™ - Click here to order now

Originally posted by avara

While you obviously won't get unlimited bandwidth (there is simply no such thing), the closest you will get to that is a Compaq server from Rackshack with an unmetered 10mbps pipe. The cost is $399 a month plus $99 setup. It's all Cogent bandwidth.
    You know this post is almost 2 years old eh ?

These days people are asking for the same thing but for $60 per month instead.

Originally posted by ToastyX
    These days people are asking for the same thing but for $60 per month instead.
    Yeah

I once found a host offering $49 a month dedicated servers

Originally posted by roly
    I once found a host offering $49 a month dedicated servers
    And it claimed 'Unlimited' Bandwidth and had a 56k connection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast