Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hostgator vs Godaddy

Hello, I'm trying to decide on what web hosting company is better. Hostgator or Godaddy?

Have used Hostgator in the past.Support is great. Cannot comment on Godaddy since I haven't used them.

Thank you ram, I've heard both good and bad things about host gator and godaddy. Just need to make sure that I pick the right one and don't get myself stuck in something I don't like lol

HostGator shared hosting is way better than GoDaddy, however GoDaddy VPS are much better!

HG all the way...
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron0 View Post
    Thank you ram, I've heard both good and bad things about host gator and godaddy. Just need to make sure that I pick the right one and don't get myself stuck in something I don't like lol
    Then pay monthly,keep backups and try them both. or even do a 180 and pick a third host.The choices you have are unlimited.

Why did you pick up these hosts in the first place? Do you have a preferred location? Maybe if you provide more details we could figure out if there is a more suitable host for you.

Quote Originally Posted by shovenose View Post
    HostGator shared hosting is way better than GoDaddy, however GoDaddy VPS are much better!
    Have you tried the GoDaddy VPS?I don't think you can comment on something you haven't tried yet

Stay away from Godaddy shared hosting. There are plenty of warnings regarding their services posted all of WHT. If you are concerned about a host, try searching the forums for user reviews. Also check out the Hosting Offers section for a wide variety of different hosts.
    Tyler S.
    TheWareHive.com | Hosting Sites Since 2010

"Problems Of Today, Meet Solutions Of Tomorrow"
    US East ~ Shared, Dedicated & Fully Managed VPS Solutions

HostGator. GoDaddy servers have some non-standard configurations and make it difficult to get some common PHP scripts to run correctly.

HostGator vs Godaddy is like hamburger vs dogfood.
    HG is the burger.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Depends on your needs. If your starting a new website, then HG. But in the long run or if you already have a site your trasnferring, then choice #3, not HG and look through the Shared Hosting offers section.

Godaddy hosting anything is just bad, period.

HG was an excellent host about 5 years ago. Sites loaded quickly, support answered tickets properly, and chat support would answer you in 2 minutes.

Now because they sell unlimited everything, sites can load slow, databases can have errors or crash, support tickets give you a run around before actually helping, and chat support can take up to 60 minutes for someone to answer due to many people asking for support.

This doesn't happen to everyone and you could be the lucky one to avoid those issues, but they are common issues that many have complained about with HG.

If your looking for "unlimited space"...doesn't exist. Figure out your needs and find a good host that will work with you.
    ██ WPCYCLE MANAGED WORDPRESS WEB HOSTING ██
    Managed WordPress VPS & Managed WordPress Dedicated VPS Servers
    Optimized • NVMe • SSD • KVM • NGINX • WordPress Brute Force Protection • Daily Offsite Backups
    Email: sales@wpcycle.comFacebook: wpcycle • Twitter: wpcycle

I would have to say hostgator on this one. I held a vps from them awhile back and they provided the support I needed. The VPS was quick. So I vote for Hostgator.

Comparing two, HG is better of course...

However, why are you stuck on these 2 providers only? There are plenty of service providers in the market if you have clear specific requirements...

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post
    Depends on your needs. If your starting a new website, then HG. But in the long run or if you already have a site your trasnferring, then choice #3, not HG and look through the Shared Hosting offers section.

HG was an excellent host about 5 years ago. Sites loaded quickly, support answered tickets properly, and chat support would answer you in 2 minutes.

Now because they sell unlimited everything, sites can load slow, databases can have errors or crash, support tickets give you a run around before actually helping, and chat support can take up to 60 minutes for someone to answer due to many people asking for support.

This doesn't happen to everyone and you could be the lucky one to avoid those issues, but they are common issues that many have complained about with HG.

If your looking for "unlimited space"...doesn't exist. Figure out your needs and find a good host that will work with you.

Support inquiries via livechat are still solved in a timely manner - tickets are solved within 1-2 hours, no matter what the inquiry.

Haven't done phone support because I haven't needed to.
    █| Velxo Hosting | Quality Hosting Solution - Lightening Fast & Secure Servers
    █| cPanel - Fantastico De Luxe - CloudFlare - RV Site Builder - Daily Backups
    █| 30 Day Money Back Guarantee - Affordable Services - 24/7/365 Technical Support - 99.97%+ Uptime Guarantee
    █| www.velxo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron0 View Post
    Hello, I'm trying to decide on what web hosting company is better. Hostgator or Godaddy?
    Stay far away from godaddy. I wouldn't even touch godaddy with a ten foot clown pole. But their commercials are funny But the service is bad especially the shared hosting cause you only get like 62mb memory. And if you want a forum or a wordpress don't go near godaddy. The VPS they have is so-so not the greatest in the world and performance/price is pretty bad too.

Godaddy(Shared):
    Dynamic Site - No No
    Static Site - Yes Yes YEAH!

All their "support money" is spent on the commercials...wish I could invest money from my support into hot girls making dirty remarks about my services on TV...(input sarcasm smiley)
    Tyler S.
    TheWareHive.com | Hosting Sites Since 2010

"Problems Of Today, Meet Solutions Of Tomorrow"
    US East ~ Shared, Dedicated & Fully Managed VPS Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by TheWareHive View Post
    All their "support money" is spent on the commercials...wish I could invest money from my support into hot girls making dirty remarks about my services on TV...(input sarcasm smiley)
    Atleast it brings people in. Especially in football season with those horny dogs on the couches

Quote Originally Posted by g4eDoomday View Post
    Atleast it brings people in. Especially in football season with those horny dogs on the couches
    I honestly don't get it. Why do a bunch of football watching people see a pretty (adjective that I disagree with) girl and then start buying domains and hosting??? I just see zero connection here. Yet, this is what they do all the time... and grew that big...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron873 View Post
    Support inquiries via livechat are still solved in a timely manner - tickets are solved within 1-2 hours, no matter what the inquiry.

Last time I was on HG chat, it took like 10 minutes just to get a hello message AFTER their automated hello message.
    The rest of the experience was an obvious teeth grinding with someone who types at 1wpm.

----------------

My suggestion: None of the above.
    I have no sig to spam.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron873 View Post

Sadly myself and many others that I have seen saying the same thing on here and in the HG forum is that support is not what it used to be...and even a former HG tech admitted to that on here. I don't know if the tech was an actual tech, but the complaints are common. This is what I would go through;

1. open a ticket sunday morning about an issue (could be database crash, site down, slow speed, etc) with as much details as possible without drawing stick figures

2. wait 2-3 hours

3. get a response to confirm my situation and I reply

4. wait a few hours

5. get a response that asks why I have the issue and I reply

6. wait some hours

7. get another reply that makes no sense. explain situation again

8. wait some hours

9. get a response from another department that has nothing to do with the situation

10. get another response basically repeating the last response. have to explain situation again

11. jump out a window, wash clothes, ride a bike, teach children

12. finally get issues resolved.

This is on a good day when responses didn't drag out for an extra day. I've put some of the frustrating issues I had with them in the back of my mind...but of course I get reminded when I see another person describing the exact situation and how they ended up leaving.

Basically everyone is called their tech's a bunch of monkeys. Years ago if you had an issue support tickets or chat support would solve it.

For instance, Wiredtree will answer you in 15-20 minutes and solve the issue within an hour or 2-3 tickets...that's it, no hair pulling.

Some hosts may take a few hours to respond and fix the situation right away, some will answer in 5 minutes and keep answering every 5 minutes with useless garbage.

Go for Hostgator! Don't think about GoDaddy. Some eCommerce scripts like Magento don't run on GoDaddy so easily. I had to face major problems while designing a site for one of my clients who was with GoDaddy. GoDaddy's so called 4GH hosting is not worth, though easy to use but cPanel all the way! GoDaddy does not also provide Live support unlike Hostgator.

I am using hostgator. I am very happy with their service and tech support. But never used Godaddy..

Definitely Hostgator! Mainly because I can't stand GoDaddy's control panel. You need a road map to navigate it.

Godaddy and Hostgator both have decent phone support but Hostgators severs are certainly more reliable.

Good Luck
    www.websitemagick.com "Add a little Magick to your Website"
    IwebNews.net

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post

Godaddy is better than most of the hosts in the offers section. At least they have support staff and won't go out of business in a few months.

I would go for hostgator as their support is awesome 24/7 and they can fix everything.

When it's about hosting, i'll go with Hostgator. They have great customer support. Sadly, but i cannot say the same thing about GoDaddy.
    LinkAlone Networks - Canadian Smart Hosting Solutions
    Cpanel - CloudLinux - Solid State Drives
    +10 Years in Web Hosting Business

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast