centOS without cpanel?!

Can someone please clear this up for me: a host I'm looking at offers centOS but charges separately for cPanel. I'm kind of not understanding why, since I thought centOS was the operating system that runs cPanel (or is this just one of those things where you're forced to buy cPanel, but they want their advertised price to remain looking low??)

Quote Originally Posted by markn26 View Post
    Can someone please clear this up for me: a host I'm looking at offers centOS but charges separately for cPanel. I'm kind of not understanding why, since I thought centOS was the operating system that runs cPanel (or is this just one of those things where you're forced to buy cPanel, but they want their advertised price to remain looking low??)

CentOS is an operating system, just like Windows, MAC, Ubuntu, Fedora, and all the other Linux OS's. On the Operating System, there is something called SSH. In SSH you can run commands that installs stuff inside the Operating System.

cPanel is a control panel that lets you manage your sites, DNS, etc. easily. It is installed on top of CentOS.

Thanks for the quick reply! In this case, it looks like I'll have to pay extra for cPanel.

Quote Originally Posted by markn26 View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply! In this case, it looks like I'll have to pay extra for cPanel.

Is this for Shared Hosting, Reseller, VPS, or a Dedicated Server?

I'm assuming a VPS or Dedicated Server, I've never heard of a shared host that charges extra for cPanel.
    Not sure what to put here :-P

Quote Originally Posted by mooseweb View Post
    I'm assuming a VPS or Dedicated Server, I've never heard of a shared host that charges extra for cPanel.
    Yeah, that's why I asked.

You're right: it's for a VPS.

If you are still looking, there are host that offers free cpanel with their plans

Not at all. You can install LAMP, and other necessary components without CPanel. Without CPanel you can run your server. In fact many experienced users are not using any control panels.

Quote Originally Posted by ElevatedServers View Post
    If you are still looking, there are host that offers free cpanel with their plans
    Correct. But all they are doing is building the cost of cPanel into the price

If a VPS with cPanel include "free" is $30, it's still more expensive than a VPS at $15 with cPanel for an extra $10
    Alasdair
    Long time ex-host, ex-billing software owner/developer/support staff. Recent lurker.

If this is for a VPS or dedicated server, then it makes sense to charge separately for cPanel. Licenses for cPanel are not cheap, and many people don't need it, so it should be considered an extra.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***